Another infants-at-Disney post

princessbee

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow!
Hello! I know it's been asked about and discussed before, but we're headed to Disney in October when our expected baby will be about four months old. We've already paid a lot of money towards the trip and we rented DVC points so cancelling is a no-go. I'm pre-emptively freaked out about taking an infant on a trip! Especially since we haven't met baby yet so we have no idea what he'll be like. I would just love to hear your stories about taking infants or very young babies to Disney, what saved you, what you wish you hadn't done, etc!

we went when my youngest DD was 6 months old and it was the easiest trip we've had with her. At that age, they just eat, sleep and poop. They're not even crawling yet, so you can keep them in the stroller and/or Baby Bjorn pretty much the whole time. They can ride many of the rides and go into the attractions. Read up on Rider Switch. https://wdwprepschool.com/how-to-child-swap-rider-switch-at-disney-world/

It's fun to get pictures with them at that age and then get the same pictures when you go back later to see how much they've grown!

like the poster above stated is not as difficult as it sounds, babies at that age do enjoy being in the stroller and are easy to manage, be prepared with as much supplies you might need and know where the baby centers are located and enjoy your trip.

We took a 12 week old at the beginning of October. Literally Oct 1-8th 4 years ago. It is doable. Highs we're in the low 90s that year I believe. Very hot. I was concerned but very very doable. A few things I did. I got a good stroller ( city mini). I brought cooling towels, my carrier( only wore baby in the am and pm...not in the hottest part of the day). When I did wear her and it was really warm I put the cooling towel bt me and baby. I bought a good fan that pushed a good amount of air around and used a thin blanket to block more sun but kept it where air got in on 3 sides. The fan helped alot! Feed them more than they normally eat to stay hydrated. We did alot of 400 to 430 meals to get in air conditioning. And did shows as much as possible from about 2 to 4. We had the easiest trip! Babies are so easy if they are healthy.Ours had horrible reflux so we made sure to carry a couple of outfits for baby and an extra shirt forme...but no real problems.

Great thread! I was wondering the same thing. Our grandson will be here in June and we will be going in October.

We just went with our 5 month old granddaughter for two days. She just snuggled in her little carrier on mom. I was surprised how easy she was to take.

You will love it. Being a Disney fan and going back wth your own is so special. My best tip is use the baby care centers at each park they really are nice, and mail yourself supplies at your resort in advance. I mail myself anything disposable/consumable (diapers, formula, changing pads, wipes, etc). It lightens my packing And I can track and confirm it arrives so I have peace of mind the essentials are there before we are. You will also want a fold up or inflatable baby bath tub, travel sizes of dreft or baby detergent (since you are staying DVC and babies use more linens then you could ever imagine).

infants at that age are easy to travel with because they mostly sleep. Enjoy your trip, and realize that you'll have to go at a slower pace and follow her (or his) cues. Trust me, it's much easier with a 4 months old than a 14 month old or a 4 year old.

My friend took her 9 month old (so on the higher end of the baby spectrum) and said it was SOOOOO MUCH easier than when they went 5 months later. 9 month olds (and younger) are more like furniture. Furniture that eats and sleeps and poops whereas 14 month olds DO NOT WANT TO BE IN THE STROLLER

We always said we wouldn't take our kids to Disney until they were out of strollers. My husband and I did Universal/Disney several times without kids and it looked like way too much headache to take kids. Then the in-laws planned their 50th wedding anniversary celebration to take place in Orlando so we changed our minds. We had a barely 3 year old child and a 2 month old baby. It was our first with-kids trip ever. The 2 month old wasn't all that difficult. She hung out in the sling the entire time. She was still at the pooping 262,772 times a day phase so that did slow us down but by 4 months, she would have been out of that. I breastfed and get extremely thirsty at the start and we went in May/June so me getting enough to drink was a struggle too. Baby did great though! The 3 year old was a lot of work though. We learned a lot and had a good time but didn't tour quite as well as we had hoped. So, we went back 6 months later to use what we had learned and it went extremely well! Mainly, the 3 year old was what impacted us having to learn how to do Disney/Universal with kids.

As for the stroller - all three of my kids hated the stroller as babies/toddlers. Babywearing worked great though. I'd still bring one since it makes carrying your stuff easier and some babies really do like them - but not all. We had one with us since we had a 3 year old but the baby didn't use it at all at 2 months old. (At 8 months, she would use it for a nap only. At 11 months, a different baby of ours went and he refused the stroller completely).

I took mine when they were about 6 months the first time..... I used my sling,and a goo stroller- nursed the babies, it was actually pretty easy since they weren't running around yet. We took it easy and just toured at our own pace. The babies were just happy to be wherever we were!

We went the first week of November in 2017 and the youngest was 6 months. She was the easiest of the 3!
Bring the stroller and a carrier as others have said.

Find the baby care centers, they are amazing!

I always use sunscreen on them, I think some people say to wait until 6 months and just keep covered. If you use sunscreen, test some on his skin ahead of time to make sure he can tolerate the one you use. Also bring a good sun hat.

I was able to wear the carrier (we have ergo 360) on the rides. She loved to check everything out and was content to just sit in there and look around.

We stayed at the Contemporary and were able to use a full crib rather than a pack and play. We just asked at check in.

Have fun!

Furniture that eats and sleeps and poops whereas 14 month olds DO NOT WANT TO BE IN THE STROLLER

That’s your particular child though. My son is 2 and has liked the stroller ever since he was old enough to sit in it. We took him to Disney at 18 months and he did fine in the stroller. He’s an active kid, but appreciates the easy transport, I guess. Our trip with him at 18 months was a total breeze. I wouldn’t have been ready to take a big trip like that when he was 4 months old. I was still trying to adjust to being a mom and not getting full nights of sleep. By 18 months, we were long past getting up in the middle of the night. We were all very well-rested on our trip, and that kept us happy. But, I’ve found that other people handle sleep deprivation much better than I do and could totally have a great time, despite not getting full nights of sleep.

That’s your particular child though. My son is 2 and has liked the stroller ever since he was old enough to sit in it. We took him to Disney at 18 months and he did fine in the stroller. He’s an active kid, but appreciates the easy transport, I guess. Our trip with him at 18 months was a total breeze. I wouldn’t have been ready to take a big trip like that when he was 4 months old. I was still trying to adjust to being a mom and not getting full nights of sleep. By 18 months, we were long past getting up in the middle of the night. We were all very well-rested on our trip, and that kept us happy. But, I’ve found that other people handle sleep deprivation much better than I do and could totally have a great time, despite not getting full nights of sleep.
I'm so glad that I read this post. After reading the other posts, I was starting to panic. We are going in spring with a thirteen month old and two turning three year old.

We took our twins at 7 months. It was an extended family trip that was planned even before I was pregnant. I am a Disney nut but wouldn't have planned a trip that early. That being said, it was pretty easy! And I'd do it again.
We got single strollers that were super easy to fold up (1 handed). We stayed at bay lake tower for easy access and limited bus travel. We took breaks and everyone in our party was aware that we might not be with them the whole time. I also think Bc I've been to Disney so much, I knew this wasn't a 'once in a lifetime' trip, so if we missed things it was ok. That mentality helped.

Tips for things to bring -
Backpack instead of (shoulder) diaper bag
Pack All outfits in ziplock bags. Makes it super easy to get out of the hotel in the mornings
We had diapers and essentials shipped to the resort to limit what we had to pack.

Hope this helps. You will have a great time ! And congratulations!

We took our little guy last Easter when he was 7 months old and it was great! I love baby wearing which was great for us because he doesn't like sitting still and doesn't like being in a stroller. I breastfeed and used the baby care centers frequently which was cool and quiet plus they had water coolers which was great.
The brought diapers with me. I thought about sending them but I figured I would want that room to pack souvenirs on the way home.
The thing I still question that i would have done different is the stroller. I'm still torn if we made the right decision. Ours is a britax travel system. It is easy to push and seems like it rides well but it is big and only folds in half. It was great in the park but a pain in the room and on the bus. We are taking our guy again for his second birthday in the fall and I got a nice umbrella stroller that reclines. I'm hoping that he will be able to rest in it, I think it will be easier on the buses and take up less room in the hotel. Although I plan on taking our tula as well. He doesn't like to sit still or cuddle but seems to tolerate the tula very well.
I think you are going to have a great trip! Enjoy and take tons of pics!

Ps if your little one has hair you should consider doing the first haircut package at harmony barber shop, it was an amazing experience and well worth the reasonably priced experience

Last edited:
I'm so glad that I read this post. After reading the other posts, I was starting to panic. We are going in spring with a thirteen month old and two turning three year old.

I was totally panicked going into the trip. Not too many people had positive things to say to me about bringing a child his age on a Disney trip. But seriously, we couldn’t have had more fun. He was up (early) every morning smiling ear to ear. We drove from our home in Illinois and spent the night near Atlanta on the way back. When we got into the hotel, he started crying. I think he realized we weren’t at Disney any more! We are going back the week before he turns 3 and I can’t wait! You’ll have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter