another insurance question

susan@htcnet.com

Earning My Ears
We recently had to cancel a trip (2Bd at the VWL-sigh) due to my husband's hospitalization (he is fine now, thanks).
When we cancelled, she asked if we had bought insurance--we hadn't.
My questions is--if they had reimbursed us $6 a point--does that mean we lose the points?
I know this sounds dumb, but I figured it was better to try to use the points at a later date than to have Disney reimburse us.

I do NOT know if this is the policy--I don't want to start a rumor--I just wanted to know if anyone lost the points they were reimbursed for.
Susan in Nebraska :eek:

I've never used DVC's insurance, but I don't think you get the reimbursement AND keep the points in holding. The insurance compensates you for losing the points. DVC can then take the points you lost and use them for a rental to pay back what they paid you.

When you purchase the insurance, you lose the points on a cancelled trip but get a cash payment depending on the number of points used for the ressie, at least it's not a total loss in that event.

Ok,
So they pay you for the points--and it's not really insurance. I had a feeling it might be this way--that's why we never bought the insurance.
Thanks.
Susan :rolleyes:

It seems to me that unless you are near the end of your use year it is more cost effective to keep the points and try to reschedule a vacation.
Does anyone agree?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!