Another lovely day in Oklahoma. . .

As far as I know, the warnings are over. Only one report of a touchdown. No idea if it did any damage. Our area is fine. Lots and lots of rain coming down. And this is just a teensy fraction of what TX and LA had. I'll be glad when Harvey is laid to rest.

@Mackenzie Click-Mickelson , you guys should be fine. According to our weather people, Harvey should be at the middle TN/KY line by 1am tonight. Have a great trip! We're still debating a quick trip out of town this weekend.

@Micca , yes, we are used to hearing sirens, but we are usually super lucky. We seem to live in the perfect bubble. We did have damage from a small tornado once, but for the most part, the really bad stuff horseshoes around us. But still, we always have our "tornado closet" ready for an emergency just in case.
I'm glad your area is fine.

Thanks on the weekend part! It should be fun. Plus there is an outlet mall near where we are at..so perhaps a tiny bit of shopping is in order with the holiday sales :laughing:

I'm excited because when we get back Monday I'll have Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday before my trip starts on Friday :hyper:

I've lived in tornado alley most of my life, I'm a bit surprised when I see people get really scared over tornado warning & watches but I understand. Of course they can be deadly but I've never been within 30 miles of a twister. One has to be aware, but I'm more concerned about the electricity going out. Besides the hail storm back in April did a ton more damage than any tornado damage I've ever experienced. OTOH a dear friend lost everything in the Norman, OK tornado about 15-20 years ago.

I've been in two that were really, really close - as in on our property. One was in OK when I was a child. It did some damage in the yard but most of the damage was to the acres of trees behind the house and across the road from the house. We knew it was coming because we saw it form and head straight for us. Lucky we did see it form because back then there were no sirens in the area. Too rural. We took cover in the bathroom. The sound and pressure was awful. Thankfully it went around the house itself. The one here happened in the middle of the night and we didn't even know it until the next morning. Our fences were down, one of our big oaks was down but fell away from the house, and we had significant roof damage. The NWS ended up coming out to our neighborhood to assess the damage. The sirens didn't go off that night. Lots of damage to many houses but no lives lost despite the lack of warning. I would never want to be in a really big tornado. And I could do w/o hail storms, too, thank you very much! : )

So guys we had quite a scare yesterday morning.

Long story short we had a lead acid battery used for our old battery operated lawn mower (we have a different battery operated lawn mower that is much better but we kept the old one in case we needed it). Well we needed to use the old lawn power because on one of the more recent storms lightning hit close to our house and killed our battery charger for our lawn mower we currently use and my husband was in the middle of mowing the front yard (after having mowed the backyard and the sides already) and the battery needed to be charged.

Anywho my husband accidently left the old lead acid battery charging overnight........because it basically was being overcharged the battery emitted hydrogen sulfide which is extremely dangerous gas that can kill you. We noticed it in time (because of the smell of rotten eggs) and my husband put the battery outdoors (this was at 5am) and we opened the windows in the house up but closed off office door where the battery had been charging and closed off the ventilation that room has with the rest of the house but left the window open in the office, packed up our cat in his carrier and left the house. We parked at our neighborhood pool for over an hr and came back and the smell was gone from the house though still slightly present in the office.

We left to go to a prearranged thing we had that day but kept our cat confined upstairs (the gas is heavier than air so upstairs was much safer than dowstairs). We had to close all the other windows because of storms coming in but we left the office window open and still closed off from the rest of the house. We got back to the house like 8hrs later and the smell in the office was completely gone except for a burning plastic smell (from the battery when it had been charging). That window in the office is still open and will probably remain that way for a while longer.

We did get some minor side effects like a scratchy throat and slight irritation in the eyes and because of the way the symptoms can take days to appear we will be watching ourselves closely.

ETA: We do have a way to get rid of the battery by way of Household Hazardous Material drop-off center but they aren't open Monday (today) nor Tuesday (tomorrow) so it will have to wait until Wednesday.

So glad you are ok pending any further ill health affects.

Be careful, and stay safe.

Be careful out there @Twilight Sparkle ! I know you're likely used to it but you still gotta keep an eye out. @Mackenzie Click-Mickelson enjoy the weekend, it should be beautiful there!
Weather is FANTASTIC here, so unusually mild for the end of August. But the better news is: I got tickets to Springsteen On Broadway!:teeth:

Great Micca! So... You're putting yourself out there too! pixiedust:

Tornadoes... When we lived in MI, we'd have the occasional tornado scare, complete with sirens. One day when DD was about 4, the sirens started, so we went down to the basement to wait it out. Sitting down there with our radio, DD looked at me and asked, "Mama why are we afraid of the tomatoes?"

IMG_00000285.jpg The joys of homeownership! When too much rain causes problems. Alas, at least it was discovered before the FALL rains arrive, and then that dreaded white stuff! :cold:IMG_00000283.jpgIMG_00000284.jpg

It was our retriever Charlie who alerted us as his gate in his gated area was s i n k i n g...
:dog: This is where he is now, after all the hard work of watching Dh labour, and running the areas behind him! :)

IMG_00000286.jpg

Last edited:
It was our retriever Charlie who alerted us as his gate in his gated area was s i n k i n g...
:dog: This is where he is now, after all the hard work of watching Dh labour, and running the areas behind him! :)

img_00000286-jpg.266353
Aww - what a love!

View attachment 266352 The joys of homeownership! When too much rain causes problems. Alas, at least it was discovered before the FALL rains arrive, and then that dreaded white stuff! :cold:View attachment 266349View attachment 266350

View attachment 266353

Someone has to supervise, and it looks like Charlie's doing a great job!

I think Prince Charming doing all the work back there deserves a special dinner! :)

Since dgrandson was old enough to eat chicken, and noodles we've been doing a Friday Night Special of what has become known as Noodle Night! When he was young the two of them used to run around with towels around their necks like capes. We called him Noodle Boy for a few of those years. This wkly event gives his parents a much deserved break! He's 11 this Fall! pirate:wonder1 (39).JPG

He and I at Key West while on a Disney Wonder cruise! We left his parents at home!

Wow--Three weeks in Germany just in time for Oktoberfest! 11 is a bit young for beer, but when in Germany...:earboy2: Is it a school sanctioned trip? Sounds like fun. Germany is a fantastic place to visit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter