Another lovely day in Oklahoma. . .

Anyone making any resolutions for the New Year? I have a couple...
FIRST- I am going to get back onto my eating plan and into the gym. I didn't have anatomy-altering surgery to NOT lose the last 20 pounds, right? Time to get back at it!!

SECOND- I would like to be more organized. I am starting a new job so will be working more hours, more days, with no guaranteed vacation weeks (going from teaching in a public school to a university, and won't be working on the academic calendar). If I am going to get things done, I will need to be more organized in my mind and with my time. HAHAHA!!!

That's really about it, although I have a list of things I want to replace now that I have a new income: Refrigerator (ours is an RCA, at least 30 years old), rug for our bedroom (there's a mysterious spot... cat licks it endlessly, even though I've cleaned and cleaned- don't want to know what's under there), gutters for the roof edge above the deck (new wood decking, no sense letting the drip from the roof wear it down), maybe some front porch repair (when it's not below zero outside). Maybe a trip to Disney??? Or Germany (DH has a conference in June, maybe I'll go with him for a few days).

These are my goals for 2018... what are yours?

Last edited:
Happy 2018, everyone!!! Wishing you all the best year yet. You guys helped make 2017 so much fun, and I look forward to lots more laughter and good times here. (Willy, you'd make our year if you would just pop in and say hi.)

Leebee, I applaud your resolutions. I suppose this year I really need to get the attic cleared out once and for all. There's just no reason for anything except Christmas decorations to be up there. Not sure what we were thinking when we'd say "Oh, just put it in the attic for now." It's very rare that we decide to use anything we've stuck up there other than the decorations.

A New Year's resolution!

I probably should wait until we are further into the New Year to rant but, I won't. Yesterday, DH and I decided not to attend his families NY's Day celebration because of the distance and, weather to travel from our home to our hometown. Instead, we went only 5 minutes from home to a a travelers food concourse on the outskirts of our town named 'The Gateway to Niagara.' The Christmas lights on the way were pretty, the large snow flakes were falling gently and, my chinese food was good. No, my resolution is not, from this day forward to make this a new tradition 'cause, I'd miss seeing all those relatives. :teeth:

We live on top of the Niagara Escarpment which involves driving up a mountain. Wait, I think I just heard the sound of ronandannette falling off her chair :rotfl2:out West in Calgary! Ok... it's a hill but, a very, very steep hill. Last night we only got 1/3rd way up (it's a 2 lane road) when 'everyone' trying to get up were either stuck, or sliding backwards! It was reported on our news this am that this was because our inclines were less traveled it being NY's Day, and all. I'm still trying to figure out what 'and all' means?

This has only happened to us once before in our 30 years of living on 'The Mountain' so... we were sitting there waiting for a break in the traffic making it's way down to turn around and, go back (down) into town. Then, came the initiation of my resolution. DH asked me what I wanted to do there were 3 options. 1) Wait out the road conditions at McDonald's in town and, try to go up again later. 2) Drive below the mountain all the way across our region passing by 4 towns and, drive up on a 4 lane Hwy to the top. 3) MY suggestion; We go to Super 8 Hotel in our town then, drive up in the morning.

Many hours later because, of the lake effect snow bearing down on us during that drive and, with several frayed nerves we arrived in our driveway the driver having decided that, option 2 was best!

My NY's resolution... 'IF' this ever happens again it's SUPER 8!

Thanks for reading here.

Last edited:
Wow, a harrowing start to the New Year Jane! Glad you made it home safely. If DW & I were in that situation I'd have been the one suggesting a night in the motel, DW would have chosen to drive the longer route to get home having saved the fee for a room night despite risking our lives on slippery roads. We'll likely never have to face those options as there is nothing more than a slight incline within 200 miles of here.

Sorry to hear of your pig @PollyannaMom and hope things are better with you Nets xx

It’s been warm today, hit 41c. Currently 1001pm and it’s gone down to 30c. My eyes have been watering all day as going outside wS like putting your face too close to the oven when you open it. Gah. I think I’m going to bed when I finish my ice cream.

Kids flew to QLD on Friday so I have a couple of kid free weeks with nothing planned which is kind of stupid, I could have had a solo trip somewhere. Upside is on days like today I can walk around in underwear with only the disapproving looks from cats, bonus.

New Years Resolutions? I can’t quite remember what I blathered on about on the other thread but I have been taking and uploading a photo each day for the #365photochallenge Day 6 and not bored yet ;)

Hi Jo:wave: Sorry about the heat, hope you can enjoy your kid-free time at home. We're having a kid-full weekend as DD & her husband went out of town to see friends and our DGDs are spending 3 nights here. They have both been super good and tonight is night #3 so we're hoping for the best.:) My fear is that they'll get bored today as it's so miserably cold we don't really want to venture outside. You can only play so many games of Chutes & Ladders;)

Sorry to hear of your pig @PollyannaMom and hope things are better with you Nets xx

It’s been warm today, hit 41c. Currently 1001pm and it’s gone down to 30c. My eyes have been watering all day as going outside wS like putting your face too close to the oven when you open it. Gah. I think I’m going to bed when I finish my ice cream.

Kids flew to QLD on Friday so I have a couple of kid free weeks with nothing planned which is kind of stupid, I could have had a solo trip somewhere. Upside is on days like today I can walk around in underwear with only the disapproving looks from cats, bonus.

New Years Resolutions? I can’t quite remember what I blathered on about on the other thread but I have been taking and uploading a photo each day for the #365photochallenge Day 6 and not bored yet ;)

Here jo some relief from the heat...

IMG_00000166.jpg

Hi Jo:wave: Sorry about the heat, hope you can enjoy your kid-free time at home. We're having a kid-full weekend as DD & her husband went out of town to see friends and our DGDs are spending 3 nights here. They have both been super good and tonight is night #3 so we're hoping for the best.:) My fear is that they'll get bored today as it's so miserably cold we don't really want to venture outside. You can only play so many games of Chutes & Ladders;)

Have a pj movie day at home, my kids still love doing this. Lots of screen time and junk food but it won’t kill them on special occasions ie when you can’t venture outside.

This autocorrect on the stupid iPad is driving me nuts.

Pro-tip: Warm up the bean dip and melt some shredded cheese on top. A small pool of taco sauce is also nice. Doesn't hurt to toss the chips on a cookie sheet and stick 'em in the oven for 3 or 4 minutes.

I knew you and I were soul mates, Ron. Already have you covered (or the dip)......I soooooo melt a ton of cheese on top of my refried beans and then add some taco sauce on top and start tipping my Doritos!! :love:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter