Another motel comparison thread: DI&S vs Majestic

lalasmama

DIS Veteran
Please humor me with another "this or that" motel comparison thread. I'm having a hard time making up my mind!

Background: We usually stay at Desert Inn and Suites. We've also stayed at Knight's Inn on Katella, Stovall's, Park Vue, and Tropicana, and Baymont Suites on Beach.

Armed Forces Travel (military) has a GREAT rate for Anaheim Majestic Garden. $95/night.

Can you compare Majestic to any of the others I've mentioned above (DI&S, Knights, Stovalls, PVI, or Trop)?

Well, the Majestic Garden used to be the Sheraton Anaheim. So if you have any familiarity with that hotel, you know something about the MG. The rooms are a little larger, but the bathrooms are small. The fireworks shoot off across Ball Rd., so you can get a great view from the parking lot and from some of the rooms facing Ball. The MG has a private shuttle (one of the very few hotels that still have this perk), but it is walking distance to the M&F tram, too. We used to stay there often when it was a Sheraton and always walked to the tram or through DTD to the gates -- not a bad walk at all -- about 25 minutes or so -- add more time if you stop for food on the way. Last I heard, the MG was in the process of refurbishing the rooms. So some of the rooms have Disney-esque theming, but other rooms are older and need TLC.

I've stayed at both. The rooms at Majestic were a little nicer, but I didn't like the distance. When having to choose between a 20+ minute walk or waiting for a shuttle at the end of the day (and sometimes we had to wait for the next one because the first was full), neither ever felt like a good option. I also didn't like having to catch the shuttle in the morning (my family rarely chose to walk). It wouldn't be such a big deal if I were alone or just with my husband, but I was with other family and it was difficult to wrangle them all together in time. More than once we missed the intended shuttle and had to wait for the next one, which put us further back in line for rope drop. It was also a hassle with a stroller. However, my family liked the restaurant at the Majestic. They got some breakfast coupons that they used every day.

Although Desert Inn & Suites is not quite as nice looking (Majestic has a nice indoor lobby, for example), I preferred it simply for how close it is to the parks. I value that more highly than an indoor lobby. Keep in mind, I'm not someone who ever uses pools (I hear Desert Inn's is not great), and I typically bring my own breakfast foods, so those things don't really factor into the decision for me.

I prefer Desert Inn & Suites, but many of my family prefer the Majestic. So it just depends on what you value most.

I've stayed at both. The rooms at Majestic were a little nicer, but I didn't like the distance. When having to choose between a 20+ minute walk or waiting for a shuttle at the end of the day (and sometimes we had to wait for the next one because the first was full), neither ever felt like a good option. I also didn't like having to catch the shuttle in the morning (my family rarely chose to walk). It wouldn't be such a big deal if I were alone or just with my husband, but I was with other family and it was difficult to wrangle them all together in time. More than once we missed the intended shuttle and had to wait for the next one, which put us further back in line for rope drop. It was also a hassle with a stroller. However, my family liked the restaurant at the Majestic. They got some breakfast coupons that they used every day.

Although Desert Inn & Suites is not quite as nice looking (Majestic has a nice indoor lobby, for example), I preferred it simply for how close it is to the parks. I value that more highly than an indoor lobby. Keep in mind, I'm not someone who ever uses pools (I hear Desert Inn's is not great), and I typically bring my own breakfast foods, so those things don't really factor into the decision for me.

I prefer Desert Inn & Suites, but many of my family prefer the Majestic. So it just depends on what you value most.

I completely agree with this comment. Majestic is nice but I simply prefer being right across the street from the park.

I would far rather stay at DI&S for the same reason as the other posters. However, it may depend somewhat on how much your overall savings come out to be. $95 is a great rate but the location, IMO, is not great and I wouldn't expect to pay the same. But if it's a popular time and the rates at DI are $100/night more and you're staying several nights, it could make it worthwhile if you don't mind the shuttle or the long walk. Having recently stayed at the convention center in the Anaheim Marriott to babysit my grandson while daughter and son-in-law attended a conference, and then moving over to DI&S with my daughter and grandson, I would far rather stay at DI, even though it's a basic motel as opposed to a more upscale hotel. Easy walking distance is probably the most important factor to me in any off-site lodging.

Whats the best way to walk from MG to M&F?
Cross Ball Rd. at the signal at Disneyland Dr. making sure that you are on the east side of the intersection (the sidewalk ends on the west side just south of Ball). Walk south on Ball until you get to the signal at Magic Way. Cross Magic Way heading toward the parking structures. You will see an entrance for the Pixar Pals structure shortly after crossing. Enter Pixar Pals, go through bag check (on your left and clearly marked), then board the M&F tram. It's a very easy walk, maybe 15 minutes or so, depending on the signals.

Stayed at the MG last January. I can vouch for the convenience of a shuttle that runs consistently with nice drivers, but we found it easier to take an Uber in the morning as the shuttle line up was one line I wasn’t willing to wait in. That being said we shuttled back to the hotel each evening. MG also isn’t close to any drug stores, so if you forget your contact solution (yes I did) there really isn’t anywhere to purchase and you end up ubering to a place that does carry it. It is my least favourable hotel location wise. Although the rooms are somewhat larger than average, the location just wasn’t for me and there are no perks beyond the shuttle. This hotel taught me that anything beyond the hojo is a no-go.

Stayed Once on Ball Rd. NOT convenient for anything !! Nothing around and a long walk to the parks.... even to the M & F tram loading …..long, and it was easier to just walk the whole way..... but, again... we will never again stay in that area !

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!