• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Another Shooting - Please talk to your children!

dtuleya

DIS Veteran
I am sadden to say that a local principal was shot and killed this morning by an 8th grade student. I work at a school district about 20 minutes away and we were on lockdown all day long. This is a student who threatened to bring a gun to school and kill someone, but no other students that he told thought he was serious and are regretting not telling an adult today. Here's the link to the story.

http://www.thewgalchannel.com/news/2155452/detail.html

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/Northeast/04/24/school.shooting/index.html

Please, please talk to your children about reporting things like this. It's always terrible, but when it hits close to home it makes a bigger impact. A boy my son has played basketball against since he was in 3rd grade was near the shooter when it happened. Seeing him being quoted in the newspaper has really hit me hard.

Please pray for all those involved, I know I will.

I saw it on WGAL and WJZ last night. I never thought it would happen anywhere around here but I'm sure that's what they all have said when it has happened close to them. It's a shame the fellow students didn't take the kid more seriously. :(

and find this weeks local events to be vey sad and scary!!

dtuleya, I think that you are right we should talk to our kids and DD and I will be having a conversation about this subject.

Luckymommyx2, maybe I misunderstood what you meant but
It's a shame the fellow students didn't take the kid more seriously.
I think the real shame in this situation is the fact that the boy had access to guns.

Yes, the kid apparently knew where the key to the gun cabinet was (hidden?). They didn't go into much detail about that. It's a sad story no matter which way you look at it. I was just surprised that this kid made comments about killing himself, etc and no one took him seriously, especially in this day and age. Sorry if I offended!

Such a touchy subject, you never can be sure where people are coming from by reading words on a screen!

It is really sad and I can't help but wonder the desperation this child felt to do something like this. Unfortunately I doubt it is anything as simple as being neglected, abused etc. He probably comes from a decent home and could be the kid living next door to anyone one of us or God forbid our own kid. If only children could see into the future and know that most events that seem catastrophic at the moment in the long run have little impact on life as a whole. I think I'll go give my preschooler an extra big hug. Stay safe everyone.

Just wanted to mention that my 7th grader said that she overheard kids at school commenting that the boy was probably mad at the principal for all the homework kids get!:eek: I know mine are overwhelmed...I would have never thought that a child would resort to violence over it, and it is just kids commenting...but I am concerned over the pressure many must be feeling. The whole situation is just so sad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter