Another Thanksgiving Food thread...Dessert

Hmmm before this thread I really didn't know coconut cake was a thing, so I was curious. The only variation of coconut cake that I have ever had is the much closer to the gooey sweetened condensed milk kind, but likely wetter, which I cannot tolerate (tres leches cake for instance revolts me due to the sogginess). Now I want to try a real coconut cake!!

The coconut cake I'm familiar with is not soggy, even the gooey kind. I'm not a fan of tres leches for that exact reason. If you like coconut, look up some recipes and knock folks socks off over the holidays!

The coconut cake I'm familiar with is not soggy, even the gooey kind. I'm not a fan of tres leches for that exact reason. If you like coconut, look up some recipes and knock folks socks off over the holidays!

Challenge accepted!!!

Is there ANYONE on the disboards who serves mincemeat pie? We have a couple guys who love it so we serve it along with pumpkin and pecan.
DH and I were talking about that today. He stopped in a bakery and saw one mincemeat pie on the shelf. I told him he should've picked it up! He's not a fan, but my family likes it!

I used to always have coconut custard pie on Thanksgiving. No one else in the family likes it so I stopped serving it. Now all this coconut talk is giving me cravings.
I like that, too! I used to work in a bakery and we sold a lot of them!

We make a coconut cake and cupcakes. We just use regular buttercream and then put coconut on top of the frosting. It's good if you like coconut! Do people make it differently than that?

Is coconut cake a Southern thing? I have seen a few people mention it in this thread, but the only time I have ever had coconut cake is in the summer, but even those have been more along the lines of pina colada cakes.

I'm not sure of its a Southern thing.
We always have a coconut cake at Christmas. It's my grandmother's recipe and takes 3 days to "properly" make.

It's 4 layers and chilled. It's not mushy but not hard....difficult to describe. We won't talk about how much sugar and butter are in this thing...lol

Now I'm craving it!!! Lol

For some reason we have always done pies at Thanksgiving and cakes at Christmas. I really don't know why?

But we are having chocolate, pecan, apple and sweet potato pies.

My mom always made the best coconut cake. Her coconut cake was a basic yellow cake, cooked white frosting with coconut and a pineapple filling between the layers. I am sure the frosting has another name but I have no idea what it is. But the cake was amazing every time.

Another cake that is a family favorite is a Inside out German Chocolate. It's just a basic German chocolate recipe and you stir the coconut pecan frosting into the batter and then bake in a bundt pan. Very moist and oh so good.

I'm going to try to make pecan pie cheesecake. My dad's favorite is pecan pie and everyone loves cheesecake.
There’s a recipe roaming around on the internet for one. Double layers of pecans one between the crust and cheesecake and the other as a topping. Too much for me. Pecan pie is my dad’s favorite but just too much sugar/syrup for me.

Is there ANYONE on the disboards who serves mincemeat pie? We have a couple guys who love it so we serve it along with pumpkin and pecan.
Was my grandpa’s favorite but I don’t think any of us have served in over 30 years since he passed. I wouldn’t eat it on a dare.

Since it’s just the 4 of us this year, we are only having sugar cream pie.

Sugar cream pie? What's that?

When we have a full family Thanksgiving (which is usually 20-30 people), we'll have pumpkin pie, pecan pie, apple crisp, berry pie, chocolate cream pie, and Indian pudding, and there's whipped cream and vanilla ice cream to go with it. I LOVE mincemeat pie, but nobody else can stand it, so it's not usually on the table (although two years ago I bought one, just because).

Last year, we had Caramel Apple Blondie Cheesecake, Pumpkin Pie, Chocolate Pecan Pie, Spice Cake, & Pumpkin Spice Cookies.

This year, we're having Caramel Apple Blondie Cheesecake, Chocolate Fudge Pecan Pie, Pumpkin Spice Cookies, & 2 other desserts brought my sister. One of them will be Pumpkin Pie, but I'm not sure what the other will be.

Oh & the kind of coconut cake that @amberpi posted is the kind of coconut cake we usually have as well.

So maybe it is a southern thing? It's one of DH's favorites, & he grew up eating it. I make one from a Southern Living recipe. He also likes coconut cream pie.

We have it for Christmas instead of Thanksgiving though.

There’s a recipe roaming around on the internet for one. Double layers of pecans one between the crust and cheesecake and the other as a topping. Too much for me. Pecan pie is my dad’s favorite but just too much sugar/syrup for me.

Was my grandpa’s favorite but I don’t think any of us have served in over 30 years since he passed. I wouldn’t eat it on a dare.
That is the recipe I'm planning on trying for the cheesecake. Will either be a triumph or an utter and total disaster!!!

I'm curious about the coconut cake. I love coconut. I had a frozen Pepperidge Farm coconut cake that was absolutely delicious. Wonder if it is like that. I honestly thought if I ever was crazy enough to get married I'd just want to buy a bunch of those cakes and forgo a fancy wedding cake because I thought it was that good.

That is the recipe I'm planning on trying for the cheesecake. Will either be a triumph or an utter and total disaster!!!

I'm curious about the coconut cake. I love coconut. I had a frozen Pepperidge Farm coconut cake that was absolutely delicious. Wonder if it is like that. I honestly thought if I ever was crazy enough to get married I'd just want to buy a bunch of those cakes and forgo a fancy wedding cake because I thought it was that good.

I just looked at the Pepperidge Farm coconut cake and the ones I'm familiar with are very similar. The recipe I referenced or the Southern Living recipe @Wendy31 cited are both great if she's talking about the Southern Living that also has rum in it. Its one of my favorite parts of the holidays!

We'll have pumpkin pie, lemon meringue pie and a chocolate lasagna (recipe found on pinterest) Just a layered dessert consisting of chocolate pudding, cool whip, cream cheese and I top mine with crushed butterfingers instead of the mini chocolate chips that the recipe calls for. I think my MIL is attempting to make cookies LOL. She is NOT a baker or a cook by any means. So when she asked me the other day if I wanted to help her bake cookies for T-day, I said sure, I'll help. Asked her what kind she was thinking of making and to get the recipe so we could make sure she had all the ingredients ahead of time. She's like...."oh I have everything. I bought the kind that all you have to do is break apart and put on the cookie sheet" LOL Now, while I don't mind the Toll House break apart cookies at all I'm a bit confused at what she needs help with LOL When I told her that all she needs to do is put them on the sheet and bake them she said that she needs help and doesn't know when they're done. I tried to explain to her that if the package says 12 mins, start looking at them around 9-10 mins. Always take them out when they look mostly cooked but a little bit uncooked towards the middle because they'll continue to cook a bit on the pan. The look of confusion on her face was too overwhelming, so yes.....I'll help you out with your cookies. She says "I'll break them apart and put them on the pan and put them in the oven but you have to "cook them" Gotta love her LOL

I am making chocolate chip cookies from the Betty Crocker mix.

Pies are gross. There. I said it.

Homemade pumpkin and apple pies (with or without store-bought vanilla ice cream). Homemade whipped cream.

Oh & the kind of coconut cake that @amberpi posted is the kind of coconut cake we usually have as well.

So maybe it is a southern thing? It's one of DH's favorites, & he grew up eating it. I make one from a Southern Living recipe. He also likes coconut cream pie.

We have it for Christmas instead of Thanksgiving though.

Love coconut cream pie too! Haven't made it in awhile though as I am the only one that eats it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter