Another TV Show Thread: Best Shows Nobody Watches

ronandannette

I gave myself this tag and I "Like" myself too!
I rarely watch network tv and over the years most of my favourites have been produced by the smaller networks and streaming services. They’re also shows that never get mentioned so sometimes I wonder if anybody but me has ever seen them! :rotfl:

In no particular order I love:
Reign (CW)
The Outsiders (Hulu I think)
Big Love (HBO)
The Last Kingdom (Netflix)
The Medici - Masters of Florence (Netflix)
Animal Kingdom (??)
The Kids are Alright (ABC)
Killing Eve (Showtime)
Goliath (Amazon Prime)
Sneaky Pete (Amazon Prime)
Wentworth (Netflix)
Crashing (HBO)

Special mention of a few shows that have received a lot of critical acclaim and are more widely known:
Call the Midwife and Downton Abbey (PBS)
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (Amazon Prime)

Last edited:
We're famous for enjoying shows that have no hope of continuing. We really enjoyed Timeless, Forever, Primeval, and Terra Nova. Guess we enjoy the possibility of time travel. Eureka was a family favorite as well.

DH loves The Last Ship (unlikely to return) and Man in the High Castle, and we're really enjoying Manifest.

I'm sure someone will come through the thread and give you the network viewership numbers on all these shows. ;)

I've been liking All American on the CW this season - I don't know how many people are watching it, though (since it's on the CW ;) )

Wow. I work in TV and I haven't even heard of any of those shows. Even the ABC show. We have posters from all the ABC shows in our hallway here at work, except for the ones our Promotion Department thinks are bombs. I just checked, no poster for The Kids are Alright.

We dropped HBO-Showtime 30 YEARS ago when our son was born. I still see what they have on the Channel Guide and even when they have the free preview weekends, we don't watch it.
We have Netflix just so DW and DD and watch their shows on the British Royal Family!

Animal Kingdom is great. I am not sure how many people are watching but it keeps getting picked up so apparently enough.

I never got the impression a lot of people watched The Americans but then all the discussion around the series finale made me think maybe they were. I will say a show that is no longer on the air that I think was great was USA's Psych. It was well written, funny, and had compelling character development but never seemed all that popular in the mainstream. Maybe that is for the better.

I wish Better Call Saul got more attention. IMO it may well be the best series I've ever watched; superb writing, acting, cinematography. Everyone seems to be hung up on the idea it's Breaking Bad adjacent, but it's not Breaking Bad.

I miss the Sopranos, even though it could not have gone on beyond the final season because too many of the best characters were dead. I think I'm just a little bittersweet knowing that in reality James Gandolfini passed away.

I also very much liked Bunheads and was so sorry to see it cancelled.

Bunheads was good as were Huge and Make it or Break It.

I think I catch more in syndication then current running shows. This way if it's already been canceled you know it's on a limited run.

Favorite still airing that no one watches: Super Store

DH loves The Last Ship (unlikely to return) and Man in the High Castle, and we're really enjoying Manifest.

I liked Last Ship a lot. It has officially ended.

I like a lot of shows that aren't the ones everyone talks about, and in fact don't usually watch the ones that have a ton of buzz other than the Marvel shows on Netflix and Stranger Things. I watch a lot of network TV still and enjoy it for what it is. I don't necessarily want anything all that challenging to consume on a nightly basis. A good Law & Order or Seal Team work well for me.

I liked Last Ship a lot. It has officially ended.

I like a lot of shows that aren't the ones everyone talks about, and in fact don't usually watch the ones that have a ton of buzz other than the Marvel shows on Netflix and Stranger Things. I watch a lot of network TV still and enjoy it for what it is. I don't necessarily want anything all that challenging to consume on a nightly basis. A good Law & Order or Seal Team work well for me.

DH is really enjoying Seal Team too.

We're famous for enjoying shows that have no hope of continuing. We really enjoyed Timeless, Forever, Primeval, and Terra Nova. Guess we enjoy the possibility of time travel. Eureka was a family favorite as well.

The Last Ship is done, they wrapped it up in the series finale

The Last Ship is done, they wrapped it up in the series finale

Figured. DH's the one who watched it, not me -- just couldn't get into it. He's loving Seal Team as well, and for some reason I can't get into it.

But I like other series which are similar, so I can't explain why. And I loved David Boreanaz in Bones. Go figure.

I loved Bunheads too. One of the main characters had a part on The Affair- which I watched for a few seasons and have to get back to finish.

I enjoyed Big Love, but its been a long time since I watched that series.

Goliath is one of my favorite series out. Love Billie Bob Thornton. His season of Fargo was IMO the best.

Castle Rock ran last year and we’re hoping it returns.

Red Oaks (Amazon) ended recently. We thoroughly enjoyed the series.

Did anyone watch Bates Motel? Freddie Highmore and Vera Farmiga were very good in this show.

I wish Better Call Saul got more attention. IMO it may well be the best series I've ever watched; superb writing, acting, cinematography. Everyone seems to be hung up on the idea it's Breaking Bad adjacent, but it's not Breaking Bad.

I miss the Sopranos, even though it could not have gone on beyond the final season because too many of the best characters were dead. I think I'm just a little bittersweet knowing that in reality James Gandolfini passed away.

Completely agree - it is sublime. :worship:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter