Another Washington D.C. Thread

We just got back from 6 nights at Kimpton Madera at Dupont Circle. We weren't in DC for the food- we left the hotel around 10:30 each day and didn't return until around 7- so after a rest, we ate pretty close to our hotel on 4 nights: 2 at the Front Page and 2 at James Hoban's (Irish). Food at both was very good, especially the chicken pie at HOban's. Prices were pretty average for DC- not cheap, but not scary.

Touring- use the Metro as much as possible. DC traffic is awful (and I grew up driving in Boston), as is parking, and it's expensive to park! The DC Metro is easy to navigate, and even the bus system is pretty straight-forward (but slow... there's that whole traffic thing, LOL!). Stay off the HO/HO buses during the day- you'l spend more time waiting for a bus/sitting in traffic than it's worth. Also note that the Circulator bus is a great deal, takes your metro card, but doesn't circulate as frequently as we'd hoped. One bus tour worth mentioning is the Monuments by Moonlight tour. I'd forgotten the huge scope of DC. This gives you a narrated drive by of the city in the evening, when both the traffic and heat are reduced. You pass all the biggies, all illuminated because it's night time. There're also 3 stops on this tour, at the Lincoln (so Lincoln, Viet Nam wall, and Korean War Memorial), Iwo Jima, and MLK/FDR memorials. Viet Nam Wall and FDR memorials are better in daytime, IMO, but we really enjoyed this trolley tour.

Don't overdo! We found 2-3 hours per museum to be enough, even if you go back at another time to finish up/do more in each museum. Get the timed tickets for the African American history museum- we were there 2 hours and could have stayed twice as long. Same with Holocaust Museum. We had timed tickets for 12:45 for the permanent exhibit and they shooed us out at closing. I was confused about this museum. The timed ticket is only for the permanent exhibit, which you WANT TO DO. However, you can go to the museum at any time and see the other exhibits- there's one aimed towards elementary-aged kids, one about the Cambodian genocide, etc. The timed ticket is only for the major Holocaust exhibit. It was moving, for sure... should be done.

We spent 5 hours at the Capitol. We had a tour through our Senator's office, so with a personal guide, and that took longer than the public tour. THEN we had tickets to the Senate and House galleries, and both were in session, so we stayed and watched a vote in the Senate. It was cool- but we'd planned only being there for 2 hours, so had to rethink the afternoon!

Mount Vernon was great! Take the yellow metro line to Huntington and then the bus (101?) to Mt.V. Just remember that if you go on a Sunday, the bus only operates once an hour. That was a looooooong 58 minute wait- we just missed it! We ended up with about 2 hours at Mt. V and it wasn't long enough for us- we could easily have been there 4 hours or longer. ALSO... if you go on the weekend, check and make sure the yellow line is running. When we were there, it was shut down for construction on Sundays within DC, only running between Reagan/DCA and Huntington (where you need to go for the Mt.V bus). We wasted a good hour underground, waiting for the yellow line, then learning it wasn't running in the city and having to backtrack onto the blue line and then to DCA to get the yellow line.

Arlington National Cemetery took longer than we'd anticipated, too. We spent quite awhile at the Kennedy grave sites (this was important to us), about 45 minutes at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldiers, and we also toured the mansion. BEST view of DC!! We didnt' get out at any of the other tram stops, but it still took us maybe 3 hours to view the sites and the reception center.

Here's how we spent our time. Note that I am 61, DH is 56, but he had extensive knee reconstruction last spring and his pace/stamina is still dictated by his knee, so we don't move too quickly!

Day 1- On the 7am bus from Bangor to Boston. Fly to BWI, train to Union Station, metro to our hotel. Checked in at 6pm, unpacked, caught our breath. Dinner, walk around the neighborhood.

Day 2- 10am Capitol tour. Left here around 3, starving. Walked over to Oyamel, had lunch, walked over to Air/Space Museum. We were there from 5-7:15, then walked to Union Station for our Monument Tour, which took from 8-11. On our stops, we got out and saw the FDR&MLK, Lincoln&Korean War memorial, and Iwo Jima. We saw a LOT on the Monument Tour, and the driver ("Honest Abe") was full of information and stories! Note that the metro stops running at 11:30.

Day 3- We had 12:45 timed ticket for the Holocaust Museum. WE'd planned to be up and out early, but it didn't happen. Travel and full day on day 2 caught up to us! We left the metro station near the Holocaust Museum at 11:30 to be faced with a farmer's market- fresh produce as well as food vendors. We had lunch here (there are tables/shade set up), then went to the museum. They closed us out promptly at 5:30. Wlaked over to the Circulator stop and took it out to the FDR, which we wanted to see again, in the daylight. Spent an hour wandering around, reading, resting. Walked through the MLK again, then over to the WWII memorial. The sky was clouding over, it was about 7pm, so we went back to the hotel for supper and the evening.

Day 4- Got started about 10:30. Took the metro to Arlington National Cemetery. Did the tram tour, spent about 3 hours. Walked the mile back into DC (ends up at the Lincoln), had lunch, walked the Viet Nam wall. That was cool, and we helped a vet find the name of his buddy who never made it home. Sad, moving... I am a child of the era, so have friends and relatives who were in Nam. We were tired, so wandered the mall a bit and then headed back to the hotel, had dinner, drinks at the outdoor cafe after eating.

Day 5- Tried to get to Mt. Vernon earlier than we did (see above)! We ate lunch once we got there at 2:30 (mess up with the metro, hour wait for the bus, not willing to pay $35 for a cab), then had 2 hours to tour and another hour to see the education center. Wish we'd had more time- there was a lot we didn't get to. It was about 8pm when we got back to the hotel, had dinner.

Day 6- We were at the Art Museum from 10-1, had lunch there, walked up the mall and briefly through part of the Natural History Museum (about 30 mins) and then over to the African-American history museum. These timed tickets were impossible to get- I couldn't get admission until 3:15. We spent the 2 hours there and could have spent 4. Waited out a rainstorm under the edge of the museum (they mean it when they say they close at 5:30), then over to the White House for a glimpse. CAn't get too close... not sure it was worth the walk when we were tired, but we did it! We were back to the hotel around 7:30, had dinner, packed for our next-morning departure...TO ORLANDO!!!

Honestly it doesn't look like much written down, but we were busy all the time. We DID pace ourselves, so not commando-disney-style touring, and it was HOT, so we didn't move as quickly as we'd hoped. We also needed time for DH to rest/elevate/ice his knee regularly. I tried to balance it so we didn't spend too many hours in one museum. There was a lot we didn't see... meaning we can go back and still have a good time, see new things, be amazed!!

Awesome trip report!

We are flying into BWI also, but I'm planning to take Lyft to our hotel since we will have bags, etc.

We are really excited for Mount Vernon, we paid extra for the premium tour :)

Awesome trip report!

We are flying into BWI also, but I'm planning to take Lyft to our hotel since we will have bags, etc.

We are really excited for Mount Vernon, we paid extra for the premium tour :)

I'm not trying to force you into anything, but taking MARCC (Maryland's train system) into DC was really easy. DH and I each had a backpack and large suitcase and it was simple. It was $7 each, bought the ticket at the Amtrak station at BWI (the airport runs a free shuttle right to the train station). Plenty of seats, plenty of space! Once we got to Union Station, we took the Metro red line to Dupont Circle... at rush hour (got to Union Station at 5:15pm on a Wed). Still easy. At the end of vacation, we took the metro from Dupont Station to DCA (red line to yellow line) to fly to Orlando at 7:30am on a Tuesday- still easy to navigate. I'd been really worried about this as all our travel times were during rush hours, but it was unnecessary worry on my part!

HAVE A GREAT TRIP!!

I'm not trying to force you into anything, but taking MARCC (Maryland's train system) into DC was really easy. DH and I each had a backpack and large suitcase and it was simple. It was $7 each, bought the ticket at the Amtrak station at BWI (the airport runs a free shuttle right to the train station). Plenty of seats, plenty of space! Once we got to Union Station, we took the Metro red line to Dupont Circle... at rush hour (got to Union Station at 5:15pm on a Wed). Still easy. At the end of vacation, we took the metro from Dupont Station to DCA (red line to yellow line) to fly to Orlando at 7:30am on a Tuesday- still easy to navigate. I'd been really worried about this as all our travel times were during rush hours, but it was unnecessary worry on my part!

HAVE A GREAT TRIP!!

Thank you I've debated back and fourth on using the metro, but since it's just myself and my 14 year old son, I'm trying to keep it as easy and as simple as possible lol! I think I've just made myself nervous with the thought and now can't seem to overcome it. I might go back and revisit that thought one more time just to be certain

This is a brief trip report of our recent D.C. trip. This is with my two elementary-aged kids.

Day one-arrive about 8:30 pm to Ronald Reagan so no other plans but get to hotel. Stayed at Crystal City Marriott. Plus is the close Metro proximity and the underground stores by Metro such as Rite-Aid, Dunkin Donuts, etc. We ate all our breakfasts in the hotel room, with Rite Aid breakfast purchases. All the dinner places were near our hotel.

Day two-Metro to the Natural History museum. My kids loved it. We also watched a 3D dinosaur movie there. Ate lunch there in the Atrium cafe. Some great choices for kids and didn't have to leave museum. We spent several hours there in museum exhibits. After we went over to the American History museum, but by this time I believe their interest was lost to museums and so we didn't stay long under an hour so just looked at maybe a few things. We then walked down to the White House (kind of a far walk for them) and just took a few pics. We then walked to the Metro on 17th and I (if I recall) and ate at FroYo for yogurt before getting on Metro. Spent the evening at hotel. Ate at nearby by Chick-Fil-A for dinner.

Day three-Metro to the zoo. Not a bad walk to the zoo, took Cleveland exit, and returned on Woodley Park exit. They liked the zoo enough, but not loved it. It was a great weather day, though. Snacks at zoo of course were pricey. We ate at McDs for late lunch after leaving the zoo before heading back. Spent the evening just at hotel. Ate at We the Pizza for dinner.

Day four-Metro to Air and Space Museum. They loved it. They wanted to do one of the simulator rides, too, which are between 8-12 dollars each. Ate lunch at nearby food trucks all varieties of foods to choose from and some ethnic foods also. In the afternoon, we headed back to hotel for a few hours then went to Arlington Cemetery. Wish we had done a tour, the kids didn't completely get it, of course they are young and don't have experience with the concept of death and the significance of the cemetery, but we did explain as we could. We only went to Kennedy's site, and the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier because of kids grasp on things, they were tired for walking, etc. A tour bus might have worked better. Had sandwiches at Potbelly in Crystal City on return.

Day five (last day)-walk around the Mall. My kids, especially the youngest, were very tired quickly and by the end a little cranky. In hindsight wished we had taken a tour, or were able to rent bikes. We ate near the Mall for lunch, and then went back to hotel for a bit. Went on a late Capitol tour later on, but only able to do the dome as we didn't have separate Senate and House tours. Youngest was completely tired by now. We didn't go out to anywhere as usual in the evenings, well except to eat at nearby We the Pizza which both kids really wanted to go to their choice.

Overall, a good and interesting trip! A lot of walking, ok for me but not as much for kids. They do Disney walking better but that's for getting to rides, so a big difference! I wish we had time to go to Mount Vernon and out to Dulles, and maybe Fords Theater. However, at the same time, I think with two younger children it was probably enough.

This is a brief trip report of our recent D.C. trip. This is with my two elementary-aged kids.

Day one-arrive about 8:30 pm to Ronald Reagan so no other plans but get to hotel. Stayed at Crystal City Marriott. Plus is the close Metro proximity and the underground stores by Metro such as Rite-Aid, Dunkin Donuts, etc. We ate all our breakfasts in the hotel room, with Rite Aid breakfast purchases. All the dinner places were near our hotel.

Day two-Metro to the Natural History museum. My kids loved it. We also watched a 3D dinosaur movie there. Ate lunch there in the Atrium cafe. Some great choices for kids and didn't have to leave museum. We spent several hours there in museum exhibits. After we went over to the American History museum, but by this time I believe their interest was lost to museums and so we didn't stay long under an hour so just looked at maybe a few things. We then walked down to the White House (kind of a far walk for them) and just took a few pics. We then walked to the Metro on 17th and I (if I recall) and ate at FroYo for yogurt before getting on Metro. Spent the evening at hotel. Ate at nearby by Chick-Fil-A for dinner.

Day three-Metro to the zoo. Not a bad walk to the zoo, took Cleveland exit, and returned on Woodley Park exit. They liked the zoo enough, but not loved it. It was a great weather day, though. Snacks at zoo of course were pricey. We ate at McDs for late lunch after leaving the zoo before heading back. Spent the evening just at hotel. Ate at We the Pizza for dinner.

Day four-Metro to Air and Space Museum. They loved it. They wanted to do one of the simulator rides, too, which are between 8-12 dollars each. Ate lunch at nearby food trucks all varieties of foods to choose from and some ethnic foods also. In the afternoon, we headed back to hotel for a few hours then went to Arlington Cemetery. Wish we had done a tour, the kids didn't completely get it, of course they are young and don't have experience with the concept of death and the significance of the cemetery, but we did explain as we could. We only went to Kennedy's site, and the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier because of kids grasp on things, they were tired for walking, etc. A tour bus might have worked better. Had sandwiches at Potbelly in Crystal City on return.

Day five (last day)-walk around the Mall. My kids, especially the youngest, were very tired quickly and by the end a little cranky. In hindsight wished we had taken a tour, or were able to rent bikes. We ate near the Mall for lunch, and then went back to hotel for a bit. Went on a late Capitol tour later on, but only able to do the dome as we didn't have separate Senate and House tours. Youngest was completely tired by now. We didn't go out to anywhere as usual in the evenings, well except to eat at nearby We the Pizza which both kids really wanted to go to their choice.

Overall, a good and interesting trip! A lot of walking, ok for me but not as much for kids. They do Disney walking better but that's for getting to rides, so a big difference! I wish we had time to go to Mount Vernon and out to Dulles, and maybe Fords Theater. However, at the same time, I think with two younger children it was probably enough.

That's sounds like a really nice trip:)...if you ever come back, I'd suggest breaking up the "history, all day all the time" with some of the local kid fun sites - the waterparks, trampoline parks, laser tag, escape rooms, bowling, mini golf, regional and local parks, baseball games, malls, etc - it keeps all the history fresh while still not costing a lot (groupon can be your friend for that:)...

How old exactly are your children if you don't mind me asking? And how interested were your children with history prior to your trip? Were they asking for this trip or is it something you just planned? Just trying to gauge how my kids will take in all the activity. Obviously the 8 month old won't have a clue but wondering about my boys who will be 7 1/2 and 9 1/2.

Sounds like a good time in all! So it looks like 4 full days of touring. Wondering if it's enough for what we want to see - we may add an extra day. Trying to convince my parents to do Sunday-Saturday (Sunday and Saturday being travel days essentially).

Did this trip for spring breaks with our kids (7 and 11) and it was great. The one thing I would recommend is that if all possible stay in the city. We stayed at a residence inn just north of the White House on mariott points and it was great with free breakfast. we flew into Reagan and took uber everywhere and it was very affordable and easy as the city itself is very small distance wise and doesn't charge per person. We even took uber to and from mount Vernon which was lik $25 each way. This would also allow for greater flexibility to go back to the hotel with the baby

Also look at free tours by foot. They were absolutely great, knowledgeable and interactive. Plus what you pay is decided by you.

How old exactly are your children if you don't mind me asking? And how interested were your children with history prior to your trip? Were they asking for this trip or is it something you just planned? Just trying to gauge how my kids will take in all the activity. Obviously the 8 month old won't have a clue but wondering about my boys who will be 7 1/2 and 9 1/2.

Sounds like a good time in all! So it looks like 4 full days of touring. Wondering if it's enough for what we want to see - we may add an extra day. Trying to convince my parents to do Sunday-Saturday (Sunday and Saturday being travel days essentially).

We've gone to DC twice and for us, the kids really didn't get the historical stuff until 4th grade. Unless your kids are real history fans ;). Last year my youngest was in 2nd grade and he finally understood who Lincoln was so seeing the memorial resonated better with him. We also visited Ford's Theatre and he "sort of" got it. For us it's a driving trip but if I had to spend money on plane tickets I would probably wait. It's awesome though, I really enjoy the trip!

How old exactly are your children if you don't mind me asking? And how interested were your children with history prior to your trip? Were they asking for this trip or is it something you just planned? Just trying to gauge how my kids will take in all the activity.

They are 8 and 10. They aren't avid history buffs, no. That would be something. I think that they think science things are pretty cool, and games/rides more to their interest. They weren't asking for the trip, we just combined it with a work trip.

We've gone to DC twice and for us, the kids really didn't get the historical stuff until 4th grade. Unless your kids are real history fans ;). Last year my youngest was in 2nd grade and he finally understood who Lincoln was so seeing the memorial resonated better with him. We also visited Ford's Theatre and he "sort of" got it. For us it's a driving trip but if I had to spend money on plane tickets I would probably wait. It's awesome though, I really enjoy the trip!

My oldest (who will be in between 3rd and 4th when we go) LOVES history! His favorite t.v. show is Mysteries at the Museum :laughing: When he goes to the library every week he's allowed to check out 2 books and they almost always consist of something related to Washington, Lincoln, the Revolutionary War or Civil War. He cracks me up! We went to Boston when he had just turned 6 and he LOVED walking the Freedom Trail and visiting a couple of the sites. My other son was not quite 4 at the time and needless to say he didn't enjoy it. But because he sees how much his brother is interested, he finds some interest in it too, now.

We aren't going JUST for D.C., although it's been a dream of my older son's for a few years now. We are going to the All-Star Game as well :) We aren't paying to stay there (staying on points), just our flights and rental car that we're splitting with my parents (I don't count too much extra for food since we have to eat while at home any way). So all in all the trip should cost us about $1,600 (which is far less than what our "big vacations" cost us.). If we had to pay for hotel, I might reconsider or it would be our only trip of the year.

They are 8 and 10. They aren't avid history buffs, no. That would be something. I think that they think science things are pretty cool, and games/rides more to their interest. They weren't asking for the trip, we just combined it with a work trip.

Ahhh got it. Makes sense :) My oldest knows more about history than I do :guilty: He has a true passion for it. That's why I'm not TOO concerned if we don't see everything because I know this won't be our last trip - they'll all be going with their 8th grade class as well and possibly another family trip when the baby is old enough to understand.

We (me, husband, and sons:17,12,12) visited DC for a full week in June, and we could have used a few more days! Here is what we learned:

5. The Air and Space Museum has the most amazing volunteer docent squad. Hunt them down and stick with them.

On behalf of the docents at Air and Space, thank you. No, I am not a docent now, but I was years ago. The docents there have a passion for that museum and aviation and space. Most of them have personal experience in the aerospace, aeronautics and military fields. At the time I was a docent, I was one of the few that didn't - I merely had a love of all things air and space.

That museum is considered the hardest to become a docent at (out of all the Smithsonians). For me to become a docent (and I have no idea if this has changed), I had to fill out an application and get interviewed, then accepted; they didn't take everyone. We had to spend almost every Saturday, all day, for 6 months, learning about all the artifacts. But that wasn't enough. We had to learn also the history of space and aviation, principles of aeronautics, and more. There were tests and homework. Once training was over, we were assigned a mentor who worked with us on creating our tours. Once we felt ready to go, we gave our "check-out tour" where we were evaluated by 2 docents. Once we passed that, we were put on provisional status for 6 months after which we would be considered full docents. We had hourly requirements to fulfill, as well as monthly trainings.

It was a great experience. At the time, I was the 2nd youngest docent and the youngest female. I had the opportunity to give tours to some cool people (Caroline Kennedy and her family, Anna Paquin), met many, many astronauts and cosmonauts (I collect astronaut autographs), and just had a great time until life got in the way and I had to give it up. I miss it. I really miss my discount at the Smithsonian shops and the ability to park in the garage underneath the museum pretty much whenever I was in DC, LOL!

Anyway, glad you enjoyed your time in the museum.

We just wen this summer with our 12 and 13 year old kids, so a little older. I'll do a breakdown of how much we did each day though in case it helps.
However, first is my #1 TIP = bring light jackets. Ok, I know that's crazy because it's like a zillion degrees outside - everyone has said so! :sunny: But what we realized quickly is that some/most of the museums set the air conditioning levels to arctic chill. This feels great for the first 30 minutes but then you start to get cold, and then you start to get really cold and tired and the kids start to whine .... So by the second day we all carried light jackets with us. We were constantly taking them on and off but we were all very very happy to have them. (fyi - we live in southern FL, I'm used to heat and overly a/c buildings, but for some reason the a/c in the museums really got to all of us)

We got in around 1:30 on our first day - went to the hotel (we used public transportation the entire week, trains and metro and found them to be incredibly easy to use even though I'd never used a subway before). Headed over to the mall and did Air and Space because it was open late - ate dinner there, it was mcdonalds in the food court - meh. Great museum, kids made it about 3 hours before they froze.

Day 2 - we got the 7:30 am white house tour time. We were in and out of the WH in 45 minutes, was very surprised at how little there was to see. It took longer to get through security then it did to walk through the parts we were allowed to go to. Walked back to the national mall and had to sit around and wait for the museums to open at 10. Did Natural History museum, really liked it but only stayed maybe 2 1/2 hours. Ate lunch there - overpriced and meh. Went to the Capitol where we had a tour - really enjoyed the tour. We had bought a hopon/off 48 hour pass on groupon. The price was good - the bus was horrible, very unreliable would not recommend at all. We took the bus over to the National Gallery - stayed maybe 1 - 1 1/2 hours. We loved it - the kids didn't. Wasted over an hour waiting for the hop on bus, should have just used the metro. Tried to ride the bus back to a spot near our hotel and it took over 1 1/2 hours on the bus and then they just quit and said traffic was too bad, so we had to use the metro to get back anyways. Ate dinner and called it a night - everyone was exhausted.

Day 3 - we had tickets to see the African American museum when it opened at 10. We're early birds so we wandered around the Capitol and Supreme Court in the early AM (our hotel was very near there) and then walked down to the African American musuem. The kids wanted to kill us after that mile walk. But they're used to us being crazy like that. The museum was incredible, just incredible. Although my kids were definately bothered by some of the photos/depictions. This led to some great convos, but it was very intense for them. We left around 12:30 because we were hungry and the kids were overwhelmed, the adults could easily have stayed longer. Walked to the American History museum had lunch. DS started walking around really enjoyed it, Husband and daughter got a stomach bug and that's when it hit. So we all went back to the hotel. Son and I left them there went to L'Efant Plaza and ate dinner (were very surprised to see how early all the shops were closing, most had closed by the time we finished eating) and went out to catch the Night tour of the monuments that came with our hop on/off groupon. The night tour was Great. We really liked that, would do that part again. Although it goes very late, it was after 11 before we got back to the hotel.

Day 4 - because of work committments we had to get to Baltimore on the 1:00 train. We went over to the Supreme Court when it opened and toured inside - enjoyable, but we decided we didn't have time to stay for the guided tour - would like to do that if we went back. Then we all headed back to the American History museum since we really didn't get a chance to see it the day before with people being sick. Spent 2 1/2 hours there, probably could have been about an hour longer but we had to get to the train. The kids loved this museum.

We easily could have spent another day there doing more museums/spots. However, my kids were starting to tire of the experience, and they're real troopers. Even if they loved a museum around the 3 hour mark they just needed a break.

Strongly suggest adding the African American museum to the list, it is new and so informative and interesting. Free tickets available a few months in advance online. We went to see it in the spring, and we hope to return next year. (we are a few hours away by train and can go for a long day trip)

DS10 and I are actually in DC now. It was spontaneous decision on Sun evening to come down Mon and Tues. (We live in northern MD so we can easily take these last minute trips.) I ended up scoring a great price at Grand Hyatt in DC. Monday we did the National Air and Space Museum. They had an awesome, amazing IMAX show on engineering. DS wants to be an architectural engineer so we learned a lot from the movie. We wanted to go to the International Spy Museum but it was close to closing when we got there. Today is rainy and cold so we are rethinking our plans.

We are going/coming to DC in less than 2 weeks. I have 2 questions right now...1) We are visiting the White House on Sat, I am hearing there are dress codes. What are your advice or experience? 2) How is the Metro running right now? I am renting a car, if I choose to drive and navigate my way in, how is parking? TIA

We are going/coming to DC in less than 2 weeks. I have 2 questions right now...1) We are visiting the White House on Sat, I am hearing there are dress codes. What are your advice or experience? 2) How is the Metro running right now? I am renting a car, if I choose to drive and navigate my way in, how is parking? TIA

I can't answer for the White House, but we had no issues with the Metro last 2 weekends ago. Trains came faster than posted on their signs and came often. We rode the blue and yellow lines.

Also, for those who have toured the WH, what did you do with your bags (I will have a backpack)? We are on the tour first thing at 7:30 am.

Check the WMATA (metro) website and it will tell you what lines are closed/single tracking or having other problems: they usually try to do work on the weekends unless it's an emergency or planned well in advance.

https://www.wmata.com/service/status/details/weekend.cfm

Check with White House tours about your backpack: I was on a tour 6 years ago and they made us leave all our bags on the bus.

We are going/coming to DC in less than 2 weeks. I have 2 questions right now...1) We are visiting the White House on Sat, I am hearing there are dress codes. What are your advice or experience?

Where did you hear there's a dress code for the WH? I've NEVER heard that and there's nothing on the WH page that mentions this.

As for bags, most of us recommend staying in a hotel close to downtown/WH area for a number of reasons. It's especially helpful if you have a tour like this where you can't take much of anything in with you. Leave the bag and take just the things you are allowed to take in - ID, a CC, cell phone. Then go back and get your bag after the tour. There are a few places that do have lockers....think a couple Smithsonians do and Union Station, only Union Station potentially works for the early tours. And then you have to allow time to get from there to the WH and back to get your bags.

Have any of you done a Moonlight Tour? I was planning to book the Trolley one but I see DC Trails has a groupon out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter