Antarctica: Empire of the Penguin scheduled to open May 24

FLOIR

DIS Veteran
It has been officially announced that Empire will open on Friday May 24.

They have had soft openings in the past. For Turtle Trek there were days when it was open for a morning, unannounced, and anyone in the park was invited to visit. However, that was for testing only and once the test was done it was closed again. I am not aware of any time where an attraction has opened early and stayed open (not saying it hasn't been done, just that I am not aware of it).

So it is possible there will be some testing of the attraction but even if someone reports that it is open and they were on it, possibly it was just a short duration test and it would be closed the next day.

The theme song for Antarctica will be sung by Lauren Alaina. You can also download the song for free from SeaWorld's website. The song title is - "Antarctica: One World, One Family"

It is a theme park experience that will allow you to join the penguin colony. It allows you to experience Antarctica through the eyes of a penguin. There are cars that you ride in, I think they have pictures of them on their blog.

If you are going close to when it opens I recommend you either get there early or go there late in the day. You will probably still have a crowd but hopefully not as huge.

I'm excited! Since I can't get into Disney for the 24 hour day, I plan to be there for Antarctica's grand opening.

If anyone is a pass holder there is a special where you can make a reservation for front of the line access to this. It starts may 28 and runs til sometime in june. I got a flyer in the mail about it.

Apparently the first 700 in the gate tomorrow will get Antarctica bracelets.

I'm going early as I have to go to the ticketing window to get my ticket, so maybe I'll end up being able to get a bracelet. :p

Up bright and early! Heading over to SeaWorld in a little bit to get my ticket and then it's off to check out the ride. I think this is the earliest I've ever been up for a theme park. :p

xApril said:
Up bright and early! Heading over to SeaWorld in a little bit to get my ticket and then it's off to check out the ride. I think this is the earliest I've ever been up for a theme park. :p

Can't wait to hear all about it. Have a fun time.

They closed the ride to capacity around noon with a 5 hour line at that point. My friends and I were not willing to wait the 4 hours (at 9:20am when we made it back there after having a ticket issue that took forever to resolve) we were told so we just ate, checked out the gift shop, and left. We're all passholders so we'll come back an hour before park open sometime this week and get right on then leave again. It's better than what was there but not as good as I expected. Maybe the ride will bump up my rating but right now I'd say 3/5 stars.

Just going to repost what I posted on another site...

I got there pretty early this morning. We parked shortly after 7:30. Had to wait to get our tickets exchanged, but we were in the turnstiles line around 7:50 or so. We made the shuffle over to the area and watched the opening ceremony. It was okay. Then everyone shuffled into the queue for the ride. We got in line around 8:55 and we were off the ride shortly after 10am.

After we got inside the building, the ride broke down twice. The first time, I decided I'd sit down cause it had been about 5 minutes. I sit down, not even really close to the walls, and I manage to hit the back of my head on the wall pretty hard. It kind of seems dumb to me to have a bunch of rocks protruding out of the walls when there's going to be younger kids running around, but I digress.

I could definitely feel the slow capacity though. The ride was okay for what it was, but I definitely built it up in my head from the concept art. Before I went, everyone was commenting on the ride video they'd seen so I kind of prepared myself. Just doesn't make much sense to me why they would post concept art and then literally have something more or less entirely different besides the ride vehicle?

I came back later close to noon with a friend and the area was "closed to capacity" for a short bit. They let us in rather quick and everyone was saying the queue was 3-4 hours long. We thought they might be over-projecting it, so we got in line to see how far it went. Yeah...once we saw it went ALL the way around Pacific Preserve, we immediately backed out. My friend did not mind avoiding waiting such a long time in that hot 90 degree sun.

I'll be back at some point to do it again, but I do have to say I was slightly letdown.

Just going to repost what I posted on another site...

I got there pretty early this morning. We parked shortly after 7:30. Had to wait to get our tickets exchanged, but we were in the turnstiles line around 7:50 or so. We made the shuffle over to the area and watched the opening ceremony. It was okay. Then everyone shuffled into the queue for the ride. We got in line around 8:55 and we were off the ride shortly after 10am.

After we got inside the building, the ride broke down twice. The first time, I decided I'd sit down cause it had been about 5 minutes. I sit down, not even really close to the walls, and I manage to hit the back of my head on the wall pretty hard. It kind of seems dumb to me to have a bunch of rocks protruding out of the walls when there's going to be younger kids running around, but I digress.

I could definitely feel the slow capacity though. The ride was okay for what it was, but I definitely built it up in my head from the concept art. Before I went, everyone was commenting on the ride video they'd seen so I kind of prepared myself. Just doesn't make much sense to me why they would post concept art and then literally have something more or less entirely different besides the ride vehicle?

I came back later close to noon with a friend and the area was "closed to capacity" for a short bit. They let us in rather quick and everyone was saying the queue was 3-4 hours long. We thought they might be over-projecting it, so we got in line to see how far it went. Yeah...once we saw it went ALL the way around Pacific Preserve, we immediately backed out. My friend did not mind avoiding waiting such a long time in that hot 90 degree sun.

I'll be back at some point to do it again, but I do have to say I was slightly letdown.

I'm expecting nemo ride at Epcot with toy story mania type ride device? I am expecting a fun zoo ride. I hope the queue and ride are chilly to cool down from blazing sun.

I guess, kind of sort of like those combined. Just a lot shorter than either one.

The queue is air conditioned, probably somewhere in the 70s I'd say. The ride and the post-ride area are both nice and chilly.

I can't believe how disappointing that POV video is of the ride. It looks nothing like the concept art pictures they've been showing. :confused3 Crazy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter