Antarctica: Empire of the Penguin scheduled to open May 24

we were really disappointed with it too, it is nothing like what we have been led to believe it would be like. The area is nicely themed though and the penguins look as if they have a bit more space than they had previoulsy.

Is there a way to see the penguins without the ride? I used to love just walking into the cool dark penguin exhibit, and taking my time to see the penguins while cooling down.

I think you can you just need to ask one of the staff at the ride.

Thanks!! Our youngest dd has autism, and is a bit obsessed with penguins. We've been talking a lot about the ride, but I always like to have a plan B, in case the ride is down for repairs, etc.

We went to seaworld today. The ride had fairly consistent 2.5 hr wait (a cast member said that it was up to 6 hrs on Friday). We did not ride, but they seemed to be allowing folks to rejoin their families in lines so often the little kids were not all waiting there and were out in the Antarctica center area by the penguin wall. I asked if there was any way to see the penguins without riding the ride, but sadly the answer was no... :(

We decided we loved penguins and instead of riding this trip, we will take the money we would have spent to upgrade to a second day had we stood in their line and donate to them....and visit another time when it's a more reasonable wait.

That said - all other rides today had very short lines!!! Kraken and Manta and Atlantis were all walk ons thru most of the day!!!! The only place I saw people turned away was the 2:15 Clyde and Seymour show!! So having folks stuck in line for the penguin ride worked out well for us otherwise! :)

it must depend on who you ask as we seen people going through the exit door to see the penguins when we were there.

Yeah, I think it's kind of a mixed answer on whether or not you can go in without riding.

I've also heard on another website that during media preview, they were saying they would be utilizing lockers at the exit so people couldn't bring on bags. Although thus far, this hasn't happened.

Thought that was interesting since the ride motion isn't that intense to where bags would go flying out...

we were at the media event on Thursday night and they said we could take small bafs on and our drinks cups had to be in the bags! we put a everything in the locker but it did seem a bit much as you don't get thrown around on the ride.

They make you leave all bags in a cubby on the carousel at sea world...they seem to err on the extreme side of caution in this area!!!

We were there today and waited nearly 2 hours to ride. I was disappointed in it. The ride itself is very short and not really a "wild ride" like they described.. The penguins are cute but not worth that long of a wait.

Can someone explain why this is an attraction limited to those 8 and older? We are going to be there the last week in July. Youngest daughter turns 8 the next week. Any reason she shouldn't ride this?

Can someone explain why this is an attraction limited to those 8 and older? We are going to be there the last week in July. Youngest daughter turns 8 the next week. Any reason she shouldn't ride this?
I am pretty sure that age just means the age for them to be able to ride alone, without supervision. I saw plenty of younger kids in line when I was there for Grand Opening.

Are there any cold weather clothes (parkas and whatnot) that are for sale at the gift shop at Antarctica? I would like to find out if we will need to bring this on our trip or if I might could find something fun and penguin themed at the gift shop for my girlfriend and I. Thanks!

folgersnyourcup said:
Are there any cold weather clothes (parkas and whatnot) that are for sale at the gift shop at Antarctica? I would like to find out if we will need to bring this on our trip or if I might could find something fun and penguin themed at the gift shop for my girlfriend and I. Thanks!

You don't need that style of clothing.

Well I thought might be fun to have with us to spend as much time as possible with the penguins. We are doing the penguins up close tour also so don't want to get too cold.

I really wish SWO had an option to view the penguin habitat without riding, because there was no way I was waiting 2 hours to experience the attraction. Guess I'll wait until the Fall when lines die down.

folgersnyourcup said:
Well I thought might be fun to have with us to spend as much time as possible with the penguins. We are doing the penguins up close tour also so don't want to get too cold.

I thought it was quite cold so didn't stay to long in the first peguin section. I would say a hoodie would probably be enough to take the chill away as I dont think there is enough going on to stay anymore than 10 minutes in the cold part. The 2nd section is warmer and more fun as the penguins are more active in the deep water

We were there this weekend. We made it back to Anartica about an hour after the park opened. The wait time was 4.5 hours ! ummmm no way I was wasting half a vaction day for that. Hope to catch it next year.

SYDCOLEMOM said:
We were there this weekend. We made it back to Anartica about an hour after the park opened. The wait time was 4.5 hours ! ummmm no way I was wasting half a vaction day for that. Hope to catch it next year.

What a bummer. They should come up with some kind of FP idea. They do it for the turtle treck show. Just at least til the crowds die done a bit.

We made it back there by 910a this morning, 40 min wait, it changed to 60 as we entered, waited one hour, ride closed due to technical difficulties. We didn't try again today. I am so tired of technical difficulties, we were at loading area for Splash Mt. Monday, and the ride closed, due to tech. diff.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter