Antarctica: Empire of the Penguin scheduled to open May 24

We arrived early to SW this morning, they held us (when we got in the park) until 9, everyone went straight back to Antarctica. Everyone got in line outside of the ride. We had to wait for 15min. before allowed to enter the ride, which I didn't really understand why :confused3 Once we were allowed in, we waited about 30mins. The ride lasts about 5mins or less, definitely not worth a long wait, in my opinion. We were glad we got to do it. DS loved seeing the penguins. The wild and mild are both operating at the same time in the same area. We did mild, but the wild didn't seem that wild to me, just more spinning and rocking. I would suggest doing this attraction, but wouldn't wait more than an hour.:flower3:

Make sure you aren't claustrophobic when you go to ride this ride. The technical difficulties with this ride are ridiculous. We had front of the line passes from being annual pass-holders and after waiting 10-15 minutes outside for "front of the line access" we were locked in what I assume they wanted you to feel like was the baby penguins egg for at least 15 minutes. We heard the ride operators on the exit side so we were knocking on the door after being in the enclosed hot area for 5 minutes but no one answered so other people started knocking on the doors we had come in and NOTHING. After at least 15 minutes the door we came in opened and the ride operator was shocked to see us still in there, he was trying to load in more people for the ride. I'm not a claustrophobic person but after this I just wanted to get out to which they told us "you can't leave" they offered to leave one of the doors open to the enclosed area...UM NO. They had to call a supervisor to get us out of the area...so needless to say we didn't end up riding the ride or even seeing the penguins.

Make sure you aren't claustrophobic when you go to ride this ride. The technical difficulties with this ride are ridiculous. We had front of the line passes from being annual pass-holders and after waiting 10-15 minutes outside for "front of the line access" we were locked in what I assume they wanted you to feel like was the baby penguins egg for at least 15 minutes. We heard the ride operators on the exit side so we were knocking on the door after being in the enclosed hot area for 5 minutes but no one answered so other people started knocking on the doors we had come in and NOTHING. After at least 15 minutes the door we came in opened and the ride operator was shocked to see us still in there, he was trying to load in more people for the ride. I'm not a claustrophobic person but after this I just wanted to get out to which they told us "you can't leave" they offered to leave one of the doors open to the enclosed area...UM NO. They had to call a supervisor to get us out of the area...so needless to say we didn't end up riding the ride or even seeing the penguins.

Can someone tell me if everyone goes in the "egg" or if that was just related to the front of line pass? I become claustrophobic if locked in for more than a few minutes. May need to skip this one.

Tammy

Thanks. Now if anyone can help with details...how many people go in at one time? how long normally? and windows? I survived the pod lift at St Louis arch only because of the window :)

Tammy

Thanks. Now if anyone can help with details...how many people go in at one time? how long normally? and windows? I survived the pod lift at St Louis arch only because of the window :)

Tammy

The ride holds 8. I didn't find the space that uncomfortable, but there was only 5 in our group. There are no windows. We were only in that part a few minutes (less than 5 min.)

Tammy

8 people were in there (the # of people who fit in the ride vehicle), no windows, it has two doors that are automatic sliding glass that where blacked out. You shouldn't be in there for probably more than a minute or two, you watch a short video but the ride kept having technical difficulties and apparently it was having them while we were in the "egg" and they just didn't bother to let us know. I'm not claustrophobic but it was getting hot in there and without knowing what was going on AT ALL it was not a fun situation. They handled it badly by just letting is be for so long, they HAD to hear us banging on the doors because we could hear them.

WOW! I didn't know about the egg part of this ride and after reading about those experiences, I'm glad we didn't get to ride. DS & I would have completely freaked out! We has several claustrophobic situations during our trip and that would sent us both over the edge. :scared1:

We just visited SW last week and we were all really disappointed in this attraction. Went straight there after rope drop and still waited close to an hour due to ride difficulties. I really have no idea what the ride even has to do with the Penguin exhibit. The pictures led us to believe that we would be floating through and amongst the Penguins in their habitat but the reality is that you slide around in this car for a few minutes like you are on ice I guess and then get out to look at the Penguins and then you leave. :confused:

The Penguin exhibit is no different than what you would see at your local zoo except maybe there are more of them. Should be just a walk through attraction IMO. If you are there and the sign says more than 30 minutes, I would just skip it.

We just visited SW last week and we were all really disappointed in this attraction. Went straight there after rope drop and still waited close to an hour due to ride difficulties. I really have no idea what the ride even has to do with the Penguin exhibit. The pictures led us to believe that we would be floating through and amongst the Penguins in their habitat but the reality is that you slide around in this car for a few minutes like you are on ice I guess and then get out to look at the Penguins and then you leave. :confused:

The Penguin exhibit is no different than what you would see at your local zoo except maybe there are more of them. Should be just a walk through attraction IMO. If you are there and the sign says more than 30 minutes, I would just skip it.

That bad..huh? I guess I won't add this to my list anytime soon. It sounds very disappointing so say the least. So much for the hype.

Agree about the ride, but disagree about the exhibit. I think it's cool (Pun Intended) that you get to be that close to a penguin without any real barriers.

Our family loves penguins! IMHO, the ride is lame.

I hope someday, they'll open a separate penguin exhibit you can just walk through---oh wait, they had that. Anyway, seriously, I hope they re open a penguin exhibit where you can spend time just watching them, as opposed to waiting for a ride.

The ride was/is lame, it reminded me of the MIB ride at universal without the guns. I think the rides is to just limit the people who can interact with the animals.

My family didn't like the ride - they thought it was lame. Luckily I got them up on a morning we had early access so we walked right on the ride. I thought it was cute but I don't need to ever do it again.

My DD13 loves penguins and was disappointed that we couldn't just walk through and see the penguins again later in the day.

I thought that was poor planning on SeaWorld's part. I've even sent them an email about that.

Oh and I had an interesting chat with a Photopass Photographer in that area. People are climbing on all of the rocks and even the Photographers are being asked to watch and stop people from doing so.
You'd think someone in planning at SeaWorld would have thought about that when they designed the area but I guess that's just common sense which is in such short supply nowadays.

Just landed last night. Great Orlando trip. One disappointment was the ride portion of this one. Party of 6 ranging from 84 years old to 2 years old. Everyone was bored with it. They missed mark terribly. And we had platinum pass reservations so had no wait. If we waited two or three hours for that on vacation precious time I would have vomited. Please attempt to sneak in the exit to see penguins as that part neat but the ride is zzzzzzzzzz.

They probably won't ever let people by pass the line to see the penguins, it serves two purposes. One is to limit the number of people in the exhibit at once, the other is since you're actually in the penguins' habitat it's 30 degrees. They gradually drop the temperature as you go through the line to acclimate you and they also have to de-humidify you for the safety of the penguins.

Did anyone take pictures of the ride or the penguin exhibit? (or maybe no flash photography of the animals?)

Does the line get shorter in the evening? We will be first time visitors in a couple weeks. We want to go in the attraction but also want to experience the rides. Just wondering if we should skip this at rope drop and head to Manta and Kraken and hope the line gets shorter later in the evening.

Thanks for the advice!

Was just there this past weekend and not much change. We got there about 830am Saturday and walked right on the ride. Just 30 mins later the wait was up to 45 mins and as the day progressed the line crept up to as high as 120 mins.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter