• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anthrax

yes. We have ressies for Thanksgiving and I probably won't decide if we are going or not until the beginning of November.:( :rolleyes:

I can't really say it's just because of the anthrax, though. It's also because WDW just seems to be a "good" target for terrorism. Especially since so many of the hijackers were in Florida.

Let me just add that I'm not too overly worried though. It would take a lot to cancel our trip.;)

We are going this Oct .. the only thing I'm worried about is that they may close disney....I'm not going to worry about what may happen... I cant wait until we get there and leave the out side world out side disney...

Not anthrax but west nile fever I would be concerned about, especially since it has been found near WDW.

Heck, we don't have to worry about anthrax. In it's great wisdom Disney has done away with the powdered sugar on the funnel cakes at the American Pavillion. That takes care of that situation. Ahum!!

Slightly Goofy (but not goofy enough to worry quite THAT much!):cool:

I heard about a place doing away with coffee creamer and artificial sweetener too. Oh, come on now!

I would just be cautious and pay attention to my surroundings. Anthrax is being sent through the mails so you may actually be safer at WDW as far as it goes.

Hi Plano

Common sense tells me that any industry that depends on low paid labor is at risk for tampering and the food industry would be a prime candidate. Simple matter to put the substances into the batter for the funnel cakes rather than the powdered topping. Have always been a bit put off when eating out anyway. I worked in many restaurant jobs when I was young and saw far too much I prefer fast food to fancy food in that you can usually see the food being prepared in the former.

I try not to dwell on the details of life too much and will continue to eat out and travel and whatever. Our children are grown and we answer to only ourselves and if we are going to die we are going to do it doing what we want to do. Not too worried tho. Scariest part of this trip is the drive down IMHO.

Slightly Goofy

As long as there is a cure, I'm not worried.

BTW, Celebration Hospital gave me Cipro when I had my gallbladder surgery there in Feb. Doc told me to stop taking them the day after I was released. I've got an entire bottle in the cupboard. ;) I'm not hording it, I already have it. LOL

It's true that food is becoming a concern now but at least our government is looking at that now. I wonder how temperature affects the anthrax virus if it does at all? I guess we'll learn more about this in the days to come.

It still feels otherworldly to even have discussions like this! :(

We just returned from our WDW vacation. We were watching TV in our room when the DC senate/house office anthrax story came out. (My DH works on Capital Hill in one of the affected buildings.) I turned to him and said "Wow! We are actually safer here at WDW than at home!" We both found it very ironic. We have been back for a week and he still is not allowed back in his office.

So my answer is NO! Take your vacation! Enjoy and relax with your family now. I am SO glad that we went. We had a great time and now I have wonderful memories to keep with me over the next trying months and years.

Originally posted by Luv2Travel
It's also because WDW just seems to be a "good" target for terrorism. Especially since so many of the hijackers were in Florida.
Let me just add that I'm not too overly worried though. It would take a lot to cancel our trip.;)

So are many other places like stadiums, arenas, malls, financial districts, subways, bus stations, cruises, theatres & so on...
I would guess they lived here because they blended in so well with all Florida's international diversity & tourism.
Enjoy your vacation & come on down!

Dear Plano and all

I am 53 and I am old enough to remember the nuclear war drills we had in grade school. We had to crouch under our desks with our hands over our heads. Even then I knew that my little hands would not protect me against an atomic bomb. I remember trying to sleep one night while the Cuban missle crisis was going on and it was reported that we might be bombed into extinction during the night. I have lived long enough to know that Roseanna Danna was right "It's always something".

As far as the food thing goes there is so much that goes on behind the kitchen doors that would scare the daylights out of all of us in normal times. I would be more afraid of hepititis than anthrax. IMHO

The drive down scares me but that is a rational fear. A bit of fear is a good thing tho as it will make me drive even better and be more aware of what is going on around me. Other than that I am going to live until I die. (grin)

Slightly Goofy

I live in New Jersey and the two (or is it 3 now) cases here are VERY close to home!

The way I see it, I'm darned if I do, darned if I don't . So what the heck! I'm going to Florida. See you all there!

:pinkbounc

I like your thinking MaggieMouse. :)

SlightlyGoofy, I have heard stories about food in restaurants but I just fool myself into believing that cooking will kill anything. :p There's just no point in worrying about these things IMO though. If it's not mail, it's food or water or air.... It's true, there's always something. :) When do you go? Whenever it is, have a great time.

I refuse to worry overly much and do what I can do to avoid potential problems but mostly I keep my mind on my friends and neighbors in the big cities.

MaggieMouse, I hope to see you diddly bopping down Main Street with a big old grin on your face. You have the right attitude!

Planogirl, since I like my food cooked to a fair thee well I do not worry too much either. Many years ago I went to a restaurant and ordered my usual well done entree and was told by the waiter that only "people with no class ordered their meat that way". I responded " that people who were paying for the food could order it any darn way they wanted and possibly HE was the one with no class". As I travel I see more and more restaurants stating on their menus that all meat is cooked well done. Quite a contrast with the old notice of "We will not be responsible for the quality of any food ordered well done". LOL

We leave the day after tomorrow and I am starting to get nervous. Will not end until I turn off 1-4 into the Animal Kingdom area. (smile)

Slightly Goofy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter