Any advice appreciated first trip to seaworld

troydjames

Universal Pass holder/ Disney dad
I just purchased weekday tickets for a trip in 2 weeks at Universal, wanting to spend 1 day at Seaworld, I believe my kids would like the animal encounters more than the rides so any advice about shows to see or what not to waste time on if we only have one day would be appreciated.

I just purchased weekday tickets for a trip in 2 weeks at Universal, wanting to spend 1 day at Seaworld, I believe my kids would like the animal encounters more than the rides so any advice about shows to see or what not to waste time on if we only have one day would be appreciated.

It would be helpful to know how old your children are. The recommendations for things not to miss can vary depending on their ages. If they are older, then Shamus Happy Harbor is a non-issue. If they are younger, its a ton of fun and should not be missed.

I think the shows are must-dos for virtually everyone. Our faves are One Ocean, Blue Horizons and Pets Ahoy.....also Clyde and Seamore, but that show is closed for a while for retheming. You dont say when you are travelling so I will just assume it for now that it will be closed when you visit as well.

If you are coaster lovers, Manta and Kraken are must-dos. Journey to Atlantis is also awesome.

We loved Antarctica (the ride is just okay, but the penguins are adorable and so worth seeing) and would say its a must do too.

There are lots of animal feeding opportunities that could add so much fun to your day.....sea lions, dolphins, sting rays, etc. They generally offer a deal for multi-feeding so ask at the first animal feeding kiosk that you visit.

As a family of shark lovers, we never miss the Sharks exhibit...and they have a great photo op in there too.

With only one day at your disposal, I would consider getting Quick Queue and (or) reserved show seating to cut down on your wait times throughout the day. Well worth it IMHO for a one-day visit.

Also, I highly recommend the all day dining. Its truly unlimited, breakfast right through to park close, allowing you to get one entree, one side (dessert or also non dessert items like fruit, pickles, fries, salad, etc) and one drink each time through the line (or any combination of those 3 items). And the food is really good.....with lots of selection from barbecued chicken with fries and a cob of corn to chicken alfredo to fish and chips to pizza.

I dont think there is any attraction at SW that I would consider a waste. I think you will be very happy with all of the rides, shows and exhibits!

We are going for the first time as well. We are going mid Nov. My kids are 10 & 8. They are animal lovers too. We are also doing a couple Disney days so I'm not too worried about the rides. I'd rather concentrate on the animals and rides second.
I'm considering the eating with the whales thing. (lol) It's costly..... If we got a table in the back and we aren't able to see it I'll be mad we spent all that money. I don't know if there IS a bad seat though!

We are going for the first time as well. We are going mid Nov. My kids are 10 & 8. They are animal lovers too. We are also doing a couple Disney days so I'm not too worried about the rides. I'd rather concentrate on the animals and rides second.
I'm considering the eating with the whales thing. (lol) It's costly..... If we got a table in the back and we aren't able to see it I'll be mad we spent all that money. I don't know if there IS a bad seat though!

The tables are assigned according to how soon you book your reservation. So the sooner you book your reservation, the better the seat you'll get.

I'm also interested in this thread, and will keep watching to see what advice others have to offer. My family is also going to Sea World for what may as well be the first time. (My brother and I were last there as kids, 25+ years ago.) It will be a 1 day visit as part of a week long trip to Disney World in October.

There will be 4 adults and 5 children, ages ranging from 4 to 14.

The day we're going, it looks like only 3 shows are running - One Ocean, Blue Horizons, and Pets Ahoy, and the park is open from 9-6.

One specific question I had - Should we plan on being at Sea World for a full day? I'm not sure what to expect as far as how long we'll be standing in lines, what all attractions are available or "must see/do" items. I'm considering a few options:

1) Spend the full day at Sea World, from park open to close.
2) Arrive early, hit the shows and attractions that we want, leaving mid-afternoon for a couple hours at the hotel, and finishing the day at a disney park.
3) Use this as a 'sleep in' day, when we don't have to rush to be at the park by 'rope drop'. Maybe arrive at the park between 10 and 12 and stay until park close.

I'm also interested in this thread, and will keep watching to see what advice others have to offer. My family is also going to Sea World for what may as well be the first time. (My brother and I were last there as kids, 25+ years ago.) It will be a 1 day visit as part of a week long trip to Disney World in October.

There will be 4 adults and 5 children, ages ranging from 4 to 14.

The day we're going, it looks like only 3 shows are running - One Ocean, Blue Horizons, and Pets Ahoy, and the park is open from 9-6.

One specific question I had - Should we plan on being at Sea World for a full day? I'm not sure what to expect as far as how long we'll be standing in lines, what all attractions are available or "must see/do" items. I'm considering a few options:

1) Spend the full day at Sea World, from park open to close.
2) Arrive early, hit the shows and attractions that we want, leaving mid-afternoon for a couple hours at the hotel, and finishing the day at a disney park.
3) Use this as a 'sleep in' day, when we don't have to rush to be at the park by 'rope drop'. Maybe arrive at the park between 10 and 12 and stay until park close.

Definitely #1.

SeaWorld, IMHO, is a full-day park and then some.

All three shows are AWESOME and well worth seeing (and you will need to get there 15-30 minutes prior to show time in order to get a good seat). The aquariums are also worth a portion of your day (there are excellent ones at Manta and Journey to Atlantis). Shark Encounter is a must-do too.

Antarctica will be good for the whole family, as will Turtle Trek, Wild Arctic (the "mild" side) and the SkyTower.

Coaster lovers should not miss Manta or Kraken. Journey to Atlantis is very family friendly and a ton of fun.

Let the little ones explore Shamu's Happy Harbour. You could easily spend an hour or so there alone.

Feed the animals! Sting rays, dolphins, sea lions, sharks. So fun, even for the adults.

9-6 is a short day. You could use every moment of it and still have things left at the park that you didn't do.

Thanks for the response. I have done plenty of reading on the Disney aspects of the trip, but hadn't really done any prep work for the Sea World side beyond checking info on the bus route from Disney property. I'll definitely plan for the full day.

As always, Gina is the go-to on all things Sea World!!!

Our family has been there about 6 times in the last 3 years, so we are getting pretty used to the park as well, and I agree that this is a day and half park at minimum.

If you only have one day, you need to prioritize. Sea World only puts out the actual show schedule a few weeks ahead of time, so if you are a "Disney 180 days ahead of time" planner, it feels a bit rushed. But get the schedule and a park map off of the website, and figure out your show schedule first. Alure is a great show as well, and it is indoors and air conditioned, something to consider pending the forecast.

You can hit rides, aquariums, and food around your show schedule. If possible, hit Wild Arctic and Shamu's Happy Harbor around the One Ocean show. You really don't want to make the walk to that part of the park more than once, it is a bit of trek to make multiple times.

And just manage expectations based on crowd levels, you won't see everything, but you will have a great day. Pending your budget, the reserve your seat option allows you to get to the shows about 5-10 minutes early with great seats, rather than 30-45 minutes. I feel it is a tougher sell without the Clyde and Seymour show running, but it is a way to save 60-90 minutes if you really feel the need to cram everything in.

Mike

My mom, sister, and I went to SeaWorld last September...it was AWESOME.:)
I say it's definitely a full-day park, unless there's simply stuff you're just not interested in.
If you like roller coasters even a little bit, ride Manta. Ride Manta again. And again. That ride is epic! :D

I wrote a TR for my SeaWorld Orlando visit last year; the link is in my signature if you're interested. :)

Huge SeaWorld fan here and I have to agree with what everyone is saying here. I visit the park every Saturday and I spend the full day there open to close. I would go more if I could. Here is some of my pointers.

1) Spend as much time as you can at underwater viewing areas and the animal habitats. Watching them is priceless and you can see some amazing things. I never get tired of it.
2) check out times at the Sea Garden when the animal ambassadors come out. They bring out some amazing rescue animals and its your chance to ask all kinds of questions. They love to tell their stories. This is another one of my favorite areas.
3) One Ocean, Blue Horizons and Pets Ahoy are not to miss shows and when Clyde and Seamore returns that will also be a not to miss. Its currently set to return spring 2015.
4) I suggest getting to SeaWorld at opening and if you are a ride person take care of the big rides in the morning when waits are the shortest. In the morning Antarctica can be a walk on but come afternoon that line easily gets to 45 mins to an hour.
5) Check Holiday offerings weekends in October is Spooktacular which is tons of fun and adults and children get to trick or treat and take in all the fun. Its all included in general admission. Select dates in November and December is SeaWorld's Christmas Celebration. Do not miss it. Probably the best Christmas celebration in any theme park and its all included in theme park admission as well. No upcharge.
6) SeaWorld's All Day Dining plan is a great value. Definitely look into it. Being able to grab snacks and drinks all day is very convenient.
7) If you have time considering doing SeaWorld's 90 min Behind the Scenes tour. Price is very reasonable and you see some amazing sites from animal rescue areas, petting a shark and a penguin and so on.

Any questions ask away. Hope this helps someone.

We are already in the throws of planning our 2015 trip to Orlando and I can't wait to go to SeaWorld. We are booking to do Discovery Cove and get unlimited access whilst we are there to both Sea World and Aquatica.

Its been a few years (maybe 5:guilty:) since we have been to Sea World and I can't wait to see what has changed and what hasn't.

I am not worried about doing the dolphin feeding but we have always had fun doing the stingray feeding and the sea lions so might do those again.

I love the shows but am glad to hear that Clyde and Seymour is being changed up although I do hope they don't change walking in (Won't give away what happens!)

Is it too soon to be excited :yay::yay::rotfl2::rotfl2::cool1::cool1::dance3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter