Any advice for first-timers?

benjyt

Mouseketeer
In all the time I've lived in or visited Orlando, I never took the opportunity to visit Sea World! I know, it's inexcusable - but we're trying to remedy that during our next WDW trip in October.

My DW, DS (2 yrs. old), and I will be staying on WDW property for a week, and we'd like to plan one day around a Sea World visit. For those of you that have visited with toddlers, I'd especially like your input on what to see, how long to stay, etc. I'd like to limit the visit to less than a full day, since DS will probably not last without an early afternoon break.

Should we try for morning to early afternoon, or mid-afternoon to close? We'll have our own car, so getting around shouldn't be too difficult.

Thanks for your help.

We were at WDW/POP for 8 nights in April 2005. My DS at the time was 4 1/2 yrs old(will be 5 in Aug.) We visited on a Wed. We arrived right at opening time(9 AM) and stayed until 3 PM. You can always get a map and list of shows ahead of time to have a plan. Because of his age we knew we would not be going on the 2 thrill rides located at SW. We did the shows and attractions we thought would most entertain a 4 yr old. The Show "PETS AHOY" is a must. Very cute and little ones love it. "SEA MORE & CLYDE", "FUSION"(Fast pace/music) and SHAMU of course. Dolphins, manatees and polar bear exhibits were a big hit. I think it is called Happy Harbour or something(a play area) but too big for toddlers. We passed on this because too many different exits. I am not sure when your trip is but our April visit was a slower pace then WDW and alot less crowded for preschoolers. Nice break for them in the middle of the week. Have Fun!

Magalex ::MickeyMo :wizard:
POP 4/22-4/30 2005

My children loved feeding the dolphins, but as well as the dolphins you can also feed the rays which are nearby and also much less crowded.

My kids also love feeding the dolphins. Go there first thing in the morning so that you can get a good spot. It is also fun to feed the sea lions. They bark and carry on asking for food. I wouldn't recommend the sting rays. They don't like to eat out of your hand, so we usually end up leaving because we get bored trying to get them to eat. Clyde and Seemore is a must see. Take it for what it is -- a very silly show!!!!

Magalex said:
You can always get a map and list of shows ahead of time to have a plan.

I'm going for the first time in September. Where can I get the map and list of shows ahead of time?

well we dont have kids, so this might not help!!! but when we went june 25th it was a great day it wasnt that busy or anything we got there about 8:45 am the park opens up at 9 am and we got to park right up front and saw everything and did ever show and we were out of there by 4oclock... it was a great day we didnt rush or anything

B'rer Karen said:
I'm going for the first time in September. Where can I get the map and list of shows ahead of time?

There is a good map here . But it is not easily printable.

The official SWO site has a printablemap , but it is not the best map...more cartoonish and less informational for my liking.

I can't help you with show times.

OP-
I think your best bet is to arrive a little later and stay till close. Reason 1-A couple of shows are only done at night time. Reason 2-If you do not plan on riding the thrill rides (and I assume that you don't since you have a little one), then it's not as crucial to arrive early. It will be crowded when you get there, but they will thin out in the evening.

The first time I went to SW my dd was 3. I recomend going as it opens and you may get lucky like us and your child may fall asleep in the stroller by mid day. You'll be able to get in to see most of the shows in the morning. Mainly the shows are for you though. At this age they are not interested unless they are close up and if they are close up it is the splash zone so thats not good. Except the pets show this is the best for toddlers and all ages. Happy Harbor is what they like the most but I suggest only going to this after lunch since you will probably have a hard time getting them to leave this after they start playing. Then they will be burnt out and fall asleep in the stroller and you'll be able to keep walking around to the shops or pick him up in your arms like I did and see another show without him waking up. have fun. :bounce:

We took my nieces 4.5 & 1.5 last January. We arrived a opening 9am and stayed until 3pm. We were satisfied with what we were able to fit in. The little one slept on and off in the stroller and we were able to catch a couple of shows and take our time through the exhibits. They did not play in the Happy Harbor or whatever it's called. That link to the map on wdisneyw.com is pretty accurate, but I haven't been since last year, so I'm not sure what's changed.

Show times can change, but right now
Clyde and Seamore is the first show at 10am.
Blue Horizons (new dolphin show) starts at 11:15am.

With a 2 year old, I would go early. Gates open at 08:30am, with the park opening at 9am. This way, there are less people in the walkways to avoid. You'll be pushing the 2 year old in a stroller the entire time. After a few hours, the kid will either get cranky, or fall asleep. But at least you know that you'll be leaving by the afternoon.

Here's another tip, at 10am, trainers come out and feed the dolphins in the Key West area. They make them do tricks, and it's really fun to watch.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter