Any Aussies/Kiwis been to Hong Kong Disneyland?

dollarmite

Mouseketeer
DH wants to visit "somewhere else" this year rather than DL and/or WDW. :scared1: Anyway, we're thinking of China/Hong Kong... which just happens to have a Disneyland. :lmao:

From what I can glean on the HKDL part of the board, HKDL seems to be really (really!) small. The official website isn't particulaly helpful (much like all the other official park sites). If anyone's been to Dreamworld on the Gold Coast would it only be about that size? (Or Rainbow's End for NZers).

I found DL to be tiny last year after spending 2 weeks at WDW, so I really want to be prepared for the shock of the size (or lack thereof) if we do end up going.

Have any Aussies travelled to HKDL in December/January? If so, what did you think? Is it worth a few days stay? Will it be crowded around Christmas/new year?

Weatherwise, is it going to be a bit of a shock to the system considering we'll be leaving a hot Queensland summer? Any good places for cheap park tickets? The annual passes seem to have block out days for most of the time we're looking although the deluxe one grants 365 days access.

The DL hotel seems to get rave reviews and looks fabulous. Is it worth basing ourselves there for a week and travelling into Hong Kong city each day? That way we could pop in and out of DL for a few hours most days, as well as doing at least one full day (or would two be better?). Or would that be too long?

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.:flower3:

Hi Dollarmite,

We just had a week in Hong Kong, we were there mid March. Can't comment on the weather for Dec/Jan, but I don't think the winter's are that cold there. They will be cold compared to Qld weather but not northern China cold!
I haven't been to WDW only DL, but if you think DL is small then you will find HK DL very small! I think it is a good day out. There are more shows to see at HKDL. However there are a few lands missing.
The Disney Hotel looked really nice. We had a character breakfast there and it was fantastic. Can't comment on the rooms as I didn't see them, but most of the reviews are quite positive.
I think it is worth a day or two. I probably wouldn't spend that much more. We were lucky with the crowds it was pretty quiet when we went, didn't have to wait more than 5 minutes for most rides.
As far as commuting to Kowloon or Central, it's about a 35-40 minute train ride. You do however need to change trains. It might be a good point to base yourself there either at the start or at the end of your holiday as it is close to the airport. Hope this is a little bit of help to you.

I went to Hong Kong disneyland in December last year. stayed two days at the Disney Hotel.
Also had a look at the Hollywood Hotel not far from the Disney Hotel. In my opinion the disney Hotel was much nicer.
Disney Hotel Very Disney and the rooms lovely and large. the grounds and pool area also nice. this was My sister ,daughter and myself first visit to a Disneyland Hotel etc. the room fitted us all very well. There was Disney Bathroom soaps etc. the Christmas tree fantastic. Loved the Character breakfast buffet style and then we tried the character dinner which was also buffet style excellent. there were photographers at dinner. Alot of Photos taken. Food was also excellent. We spent one day at HK Disneyland and thought wow. there are line ups to see the Characters but everything is orderly and the line goes quickly. We saw everything crowds were not heavy. even went to the lion King show. We comfortably saw everything in one day and shopped alot. Weather wise when we went we still wore jumpers especially as the nights can be cold. You my find this more so Especially coming from Queensland so do take jumpers. As Hong Kong was on the last leg of our journey through China it was warmer then most parts of China. Some of the days we were in Hong Kong the days were lovely. short sleeves and no rain. .It was so good that we have decided to travel to Disneyland California in Jan and very much looking forward to that. Have a great trip.

Thank you for the feedback/info. :thumbsup2

I had a very vague idea that the DL hotels were near the airport, so it was good to have that confirmed. From my limited research so far, hotel prices seem to be very expensive in HK and/or the rooms are small, so for the price and size we may as well spend the last week or so in the DL area.

One more question - are the DL parks and hotels smoke free? I can't seem to find the answer to that anywhere (hope they are).

One more question - are the DL parks and hotels smoke free? I can't seem to find the answer to that anywhere (hope they are).
All Disney parks are 'smoke free' with smoking only in designated areas but how effective this is depends on
1 - the location
2 - the enforcement

In Paris there was little enforcement on the rules. I confirmed with a CM that it was a 'smoke free' park but my experience was that people smoke anywhere and everywhere. Except inside.
WDW has the enforcement generally speaking but the placement is hopeless. There is a smoking area in Epcot at the World Showcase Gateway entry so there is no way to get from World Showcase to the ferry dock without inhaling smoke.
Interestingly in Tokyo there was no problem even though Japan has a VERY high percentage of smokers. The smoking areas are VERY carefully placed such that it does not transmit to other areas.

Here is a Trip Report I did from another Forum

Arrived at Hong Kong International Airport from Australia Tuesday evening got a Transfer to Disneyland Hollywood Hotel with Vigor, it took about 20 minutes to get there check in was very quick our bags were sent to our room very friendly and fast service and an upgrade to a park view room.

We then spent the next two days taking in the sights going on a tour of Hong Kong Island, Kowloon, Temple Street Markets, The Peak, Avenue of Stars and the Light Show, the train system was easy to use, then our last two days in Disneyland.

We were in Disneyland Friday the 6th and Saturday the 7th Feb

Upon arriving at HKDL by the shuttle bus from the Hotel a short walk up the promenade to you come to the big sign with Mickey Mouse welcoming you to HKDL also in front of you is Mickey Mouse on a surfboard riding a whale in the distance.

Does HKDL have the Disney feel well in a way yes to give the more of a Disney feel I think a partner statue would look nice.

I understand that some people do complain about the park but we are in Hong Kong and not the USA or Japan or France really we should not compare parks take HKDL for what it has, Looking at the park it is very clean the entire CM staff is very friendly and smiling, there is a nice atmosphere and the landscaping is amazing.

Our only complaint is how rude a few people were, when it did happen the CM were quick in pointing out to them these customers are next or excuse me I am serving these customers now please wait. To us it looked they were going to miss out, but we knew what to expect because we see same thing happens to them when they are in Australia.

The shows The Golden Mickey and Loin King are very good a suggestion here is let every body go in wait at the back of the line it does get a bit pushy. First thing in the mornings we went to the back of the park and rode it is a small world and over to autopia, and within the two days we manage to see every show, shop and rides The food is very nice ok price but Coke is too expensive.

All it all we really did enjoy ourselves and had a magical time especially the Lucky Trails and Chinese New Year before I forget the castle is small I think if it was bigger it would look out of place with the mountains behind it.

Thanks

To Answer your Questions Yes it was cold at night about 15 c during the day it was about 20 c

If you stay at the Disney Hotel you get a 2 for 1 day ticket when we went the HKD to AUD was about 4.3 now it is about 7.2

Smoking at the Hotel and Park had set area

Traveling into HK you get the bus to HKDL then train into the city one thing to watch out for is near Star Ferry there are backpackers giving away scratchie and you win a prize cough cough a cheap Tshirt not the Laptop or other prizes it is for a time share with a very hard sell

We really loved going to HK and really want to go back again

Hi Dollarmite,

I went to HK Disneyland last year and it was ok, but small as others have said. I definitely wouldn't go for more than one day. Also, you're better off being either on HK Island or Tsim Sha Tsui for the rest of your stay there - much closer to the action. If you want tips on things to do in HK, let me know, I lived there for 11 years!

As for the weather, it can get pretty cold in January particularly so a coat is a good idea - definitely go for layers because the heating in some places can be quite hot.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback and trip reports.:thumbsup2

Thanks to Jetstar I have made the first step in booking our trip, so we will be on our way to Singapore and HK in December:cool1:

I'm a bit disappointed we're not going to be visiting WDW or DLR this year, but am looking forward to visiting a completely new Disney park. I just found out that there's a new Universal Studios in Singapore, so we'll probably try and visit it as well.

I love planning trips so let the fun begin!

There's also a Hershey shop outside Universal Singapore for your stash of peanut butter cups, yum!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter