Any canning experts out there? Have a ?? UPDATED

wdw_dine_junkie

DIS Veteran
I have recently taken an interest in learning how to can things. Jams and Jellies, maybe some fruit. Does anyone know where to find Mason/Ball jars? I looked at my Walmart and they don't have them.

I found some sites online but the shipping is quite expensive.

Any ideas? Thanks

Was your Wal Mart a super one with the grocery store. Ours here has the jars. I have also found them in most grocery stores here, Krogers, Randalls, etc. I don't know if you have a Garden Ridge in your area but I have seen them there as well. I ususally make jellies and pickles for Christmas presents. My favorites are honey lemon jelly, lemon blueberry marmalade, green and yellow pickles( yellow squash and zuccini that are sweet like bread and butter pickles) corn relish and jalapeno jelly. Also if my Aunt has a bunch of pears in the fall I make pear relish, kind of like chow chow you eat with meats. My mothers cousin got adventerous a few years ago and actually made a jelly out of mesquite beans.

Good luck on you canning.

I was at a regular Walmart, but I will check the Super Walmart. Thanks, I wouldn't have thought they might be different!

Your jellies sound great by the way! If I learn how to do this, I may have to get some recipes.

Around here (Michigan) they are readily available in the larger grocery stores. If you were closer I'd say come raid my cellar! When the kids were smaller I canned like crazy and bought jars by the hundreds at estate sales, etc. Now they are sitting unused.

One other thought if you're still having trouble is to call your local Agricultural Extension Agent. I believe this is a federal agency so I would guess they would be listed with the government listings in your phone book.

Deb

I do have a farm store not too far from my house. I will check there too. Thanks!

FantasticDisFamily,

Too bad I'm not closer!

I get jars at Wal MArt, Big Lots, All my grocery stoes carry them and also Ace Hardware as well as local farm stores. Also check out yard sales and auctions. People sell them all the time. So far this year I have done dill pickles, peach jam, peach orange pineapple conserve and this weekend we are doing tomatoes. We also have plans to do apple butter, applesauce, spaghetti sauce, cranberry sauce and who know s what else. I just got a pressure canner so the possibilities are endless!!!

I get the jars at either wal mart or the wegmans store here. i do the canning as this surprises the wife everytime. shes amazed that i enjoy cooking ,etc. yeah i spent alot of time in the kitchen with my mom when i was growing up.
although i have to say i wont plant quite so many cucmbers next year, dill pickles.sweet gerkins,relish,bread n butter pickles,corn relish,, even a few zucchinni pickles...anyone ever have dilly beans? i canned some for the first time this year. ok i babbled enough. anyone have a brandied peach recipe for canning?:crazy:

Mrjhenry -

when you say "brandied peaches" are thinking of the really sweet, sticky almost candied sort of peach preserve or what we call "pickled peaches" in Michigan? The latter are the ones that are canned in the fall but need to rest at least until Thanksgiving in order for the flavors to really soak into the peaches. They have a tangy/sweet mix of flavors. My particular recipe doesn't include brandy but I know some that do....

Deb

We get a great little paper called a penny saver/ It is like a whole book of classifieds that coems out weekly. We saw a listing for 90 canning jars quarts and pints for $20. I called and DH is going to look at them tonight. Turns out the guy who is selling them lives less than a mile from us and it is $20 or best offer so lets see if they are in good shape!!

Wow Jiminy that's a great deal, I hope they're in good shape! I did find some jelly jars at Publix for 12 for 7.49. I didn't buy them because I want to check some of the other suggestions, like the farm store.

MrJhenry41, what a great surprise for your wife. That's quite a variety of pickles you make.

I am reading "Canning for Dummies" and they keep making references to "check your recipe" for cooking times and headspace, etc.. I make stewed apples, kinda like the ones at Cracker Barrell and want to can them. But I don't really have a recipe to follow for canning. Any general suggestions? Do I just prepare as normal and then put in the jar or slightly undercook because they will cook more in the water bath? It's kinda confusing for a new canner.

The peach-orange -pineapple conserve in the caning for dummies book is really good!!!

Thanks for all the suggestions. I was able to find some jars at Ace Hardware. The prices were 12 jelly jars for 7.49 and 12 pint jars for 6.19.

Now on to canning!

I know this is an old thread, but I finally made some strawberry jam. I am right down the road from Plant City, FL where all the strawberry fields are and they are $4.99 a whole flat right now. 1 flat of berries made 24 jelly jars. It was fun and the jam is very tasty.

Now I am ready to try other things. My mother loves corn relish. Can someone post a great recipe?

brerrabbit:

Could you share your recipes for lemon blueberry marmalade, corn relish and jalapeno jelly? Those sound wonderful to me. :sunny:

Our Big Lots had several "canning kits" this past week, a pickle kit, salsa kit, spaghetti sauce kit, etc...I have found the jars at our wal-mart (super center) and at our Albertson's grocery store. I love canning, I usually do apple butter, pear honey, fig jams, and pickles. Last year I got more adventurous and did habenero peach salsa, raspberry habanero jam, spicy pickles, and lots of things with figs (my aunt has several fig trees)

Good Luck.

PS: your homemade goodies make great holiday gifts!

habenero peach salsa, raspberry habanero jam

These sound great!!!!! I am the only one who would eat them so not worth making in my house.

We just bought some mason jars when we were visiting my mom this weekend. Her wal mart had them about a $1-$1.5 or so cheaper than ours so we bought 2 dozen quarts and a dozen pints plus we picked up 3 dozen quarts that a friend got us when they were clearenced around Christmas!! So we should have enough jars for a bit. We tend to do alot of canning any more!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter