Any chance for a Marvel Universe?

ErinInCT

Someday my tag will come...
I know Universal has done superhero coasters, But it seems like there is a huge opportunity to have a Disney park dedicated to the Marvel universe. Something like Magic Kingdom with different lands for the major superheroes. No one seems to be tiring of the franchise and I understand there are more and more characters that will be coming out in the future. The possibilities are endless and hard to contain in just one or two attractions at DHS. What would you envision???

I wish they would because then they could keep their hands off the other parks.

Not happening in WDW because of the legal limitations with Universal.

Not happening in DLR because they have no land for it.

I know Universal has done superhero coasters, But it seems like there is a huge opportunity to have a Disney park dedicated to the Marvel universe. Something like Magic Kingdom with different lands for the major superheroes. No one seems to be tiring of the franchise and I understand there are more and more characters that will be coming out in the future. The possibilities are endless and hard to contain in just one or two attractions at DHS. What would you envision???

In florida legally they cannot even if they wanted to. Hopefully they find a way to get the rights back at some point but right now it is not even an option.

Honestly, I don't see it happening period. While Marvel is a huge draw, I simply don't see them creating a whole park on only ONE IP. It to me is too big a risk, you hit or you miss and you have no other draw.

Marvel will work better as an addition to other parks. But as pointed out, WDW is very, very limited in what they can use. Also, keep in mind DL is getting a Marvel mini-land that will include ToT -GOTG version and a Capt. America roller coaster I believe.

Also, keep in mind DL is getting a Marvel mini-land that will include ToT -GOTG version and a Capt. America roller coaster I believe.

They haven't announced any new rides for the new Marval area at DCA, they have only said that GOTG: Mission Breakout will anchor it. There is nothing but speculation over what the other rides may be or if any will be an E ticket.

They also haven't announced a name, because Universal's contract excludes any theme park from using the "Marvel" name in the U.S. (maybe in North America); that part of the deal isn't limited to East of the Mississippi.

Honestly, I don't see it happening period. While Marvel is a huge draw, I simply don't see them creating a whole park on only ONE IP. It to me is too big a risk, you hit or you miss and you have no other draw.

Marvel will work better as an addition to other parks. But as pointed out, WDW is very, very limited in what they can use. Also, keep in mind DL is getting a Marvel mini-land that will include ToT -GOTG version and a Capt. America roller coaster I believe.

I agree. A whole park to marvel.. or pixar.... or nintendo (for US) or Harry Potten or any one IP is a bad idea.

I do though wish disney could work someting out with universal to get the east coast rights back though. I'd love to see a Tony Stark Hall of Armor over in the old innovations building or something like that.

They also haven't announced a name, because Universal's contract excludes any theme park from using the "Marvel" name in the U.S. (maybe in North America); that part of the deal isn't limited to East of the Mississippi.

They will do like they did with the DLR races and just call it super-hero or avengers. After IW, I'd probably just go Avengers Land.

Something is going to have to happen in the next 5 years. Clearly Disney wants to invest in their IPs and Universal hasn't put up an original major Marvel ride in the Marvel area since Marvel Super Hero Island opened in 1999. They have a 1999 Dark Ride, a 1999 Roller Coaster (refurb in 2016), and two off the shelf rides from 1999 and 2000.

The contract specifically states that the Marvel Universe will be operated and maintained in a "First Class manner."

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1262449/000119312510008732/dex1057.htm

After Pandora in 2017, Toy Story Land in 2018, Star Wars Galaxy Edge in 2019, Tron at Magic Kingdom in 2021 and Guardians at Epcot in 2021, Disney will have one hell of an argument that Universal has been neglecting Disney's IP. They will say these are first class theme park attractions at Disney World and a bunch of old rides from decades ago are not first class. I also can't recall the last time I saw a Marvel Super Hero Island advertisement on the back of a Marvel comic book, something that they have to do for the term of the contract. Hopefully they can come to an agreement and avoid arbitration. Universal seems more interested in Harry Potter anyway, so it doesn't seem (to me anyway) that losing Marvel would be a huge deal to them. If anything, they just seem more interested in keeping it away from Disney.

Either Disney will get Marvel by way of payment or in arbitration or Universal is going to have to spend $400-500+ million to redo Marvel Super Hero Island to get it back up to First Class.

I'm all for more Marvel stuff in the parks, just not an entire Marvel park. I kinda want Wakanda at Hollywood Studios (new African restaurant + Rock n Rollercoaster re-theme + simulator), but that's probably just me.

Something is going to have to happen in the next 5 years. Clearly Disney wants to invest in their IPs and Universal hasn't put up an original major Marvel ride in the Marvel area since Marvel Super Hero Island opened in 1999. They have a 1999 Dark Ride, a 1999 Roller Coaster (refurb in 2016), and two off the shelf rides from 1999 and 2000.

The contract specifically states that the Marvel Universe will be operated and maintained in a "First Class manner."

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1262449/000119312510008732/dex1057.htm

After Pandora in 2017, Toy Story Land in 2018, Star Wars Galaxy Edge in 2019, Tron at Magic Kingdom in 2021 and Guardians at Epcot in 2021, Disney will have one hell of an argument that Universal has been neglecting Disney's IP. They will say these are first class theme park attractions at Disney World and a bunch of old rides from decades ago are not first class. I also can't recall the last time I saw a Marvel Super Hero Island advertisement on the back of a Marvel comic book, something that they have to do for the term of the contract. Hopefully they can come to an agreement and avoid arbitration. Universal seems more interested in Harry Potter anyway, so it doesn't seem (to me anyway) that losing Marvel would be a huge deal to them. If anything, they just seem more interested in keeping it away from Disney.

Either Disney will get Marvel by way of payment or in arbitration or Universal is going to have to spend $400-500+ million to redo Marvel Super Hero Island to get it back up to First Class.

I'm all for more Marvel stuff in the parks, just not an entire Marvel park. I kinda want Wakanda at Hollywood Studios (new African restaurant + Rock n Rollercoaster re-theme + simulator), but that's probably just me.

Universal did recently add "Marvel Caracter Dinner" recently which I'm sure upsets Disney to no end. Disney has plenty on their plate right now, but I am willing to bet there are a least a few lawyers assigned just to figure out a plan to deal with Universal and Marvel.

They have had good upkeep. They just rebuilt Hulk.

Ultimately, the legal argument Helvetica is trying to make is, what constitutes "First Class"? If ride upkeep is all they are concerned with, Disney doesn't have a leg to stand on. But if addition, expansion, or use of the newest technologies is the expectation, then there might be something...

Ultimately, the legal argument Helvetica is trying to make is, what constitutes "First Class"? If ride upkeep is all they are concerned with, Disney doesn't have a leg to stand on. But if addition, expansion, or use of the newest technologies is the expectation, then there might be something...
With that rumors have been around that Universal does want to add new Marvel attractions.

They have had good upkeep. They just rebuilt Hulk.

Ok, but is it really "first class?" Good upkeep of 20 year old rides probably isn't good enough if they decide go to arbitration. Disney's lawyers will say Marvel Super Hero Island has to be as good as Star Wars Galaxy's Edge and The Hulk has to be as good as Guardians and Tron in order for them to be considered first class. First Class, I'd say, is the best of the best in the entire world. Top 10% or higher. Marvel Super Hero Island isn't the best of the best in the industry, it's not even the best of the best at their own parks, thereby hurting my IP.

The tea cup ride and the space shot ride are also really easy to attack since they're both off the shelf rides. Definitely not first class.

Obviously this is all speculation, but if I were Disney and I wanted all of Marvel in my parks, that's what I'd argue if it came to that. Heck, if I wanted to get really obnoxious I'd argue that even their new Marvel Character Dinner hurts my IP because it's not up to the "first class" dining standards of Victoria and Albert's.

The simplest thing to do, assuming Disney wants it, is to just write Universal a check. In arbitration, I still think they'd win, but it would be mighty expensive. Even if Universal won, they'd have to spend a lot of money to get it up to whatever standard the arbitrator sets and then they'd have to keep it there in perpetuity to avoid a breach.

If Disney gives them a check after Tron so they can do more with their Marvel IP, then everyone wins. If they go to arbitration, it's just going cost everyone a whole lot of money.

Ok, but is it really "first class?" Good upkeep of 20 year old rides probably isn't good enough if they decide go to arbitration. Disney's lawyers will say Marvel Super Hero Island has to be as good as Star Wars Galaxy's Edge and The Hulk has to be as good as Guardians and Tron in order for them to be considered first class. First Class, I'd say, is the best of the best in the entire world. Top 10% or higher. Marvel Super Hero Island isn't the best of the best in the industry, it's not even the best of the best at their own parks, thereby hurting my IP.

The tea cup ride and the space shot ride are also really easy to attack since they're both off the shelf rides. Definitely not first class.

Obviously this is all speculation, but if I were Disney and I wanted all of Marvel in my parks, that's what I'd argue if it came to that. Heck, if I wanted to get really obnoxious I'd argue that even their new Marvel Character Dinner hurts my IP because it's not up to the "first class" dining standards of Victoria and Albert's.

The simplest thing to do, assuming Disney wants it, is to just write Universal a check. In arbitration, I still think they'd win, but it would be mighty expensive. Even if Universal won, they'd have to spend a lot of money to get it up to whatever standard the arbitrator sets and then they'd have to keep it there in perpetuity to avoid a breach.

If Disney gives them a check after Tron so they can do more with their Marvel IP, then everyone wins. If they go to arbitration, it's just going cost everyone a whole lot of money.
I am not sure Disney wants Marvel at WDW yet. They are doing Guardians which is one thing but Universal pays for those character rights. Both companies seem to be okay with where they are right now.

With that rumors have been around that Universal does want to add new Marvel attractions.

The MCU has made $15Billion. Who wouldn't want to capitilize on that? and there is where things could get ugly here.

I think what is going to become a big bone of contention between the companies will be Black Panther. He isn't on a ride at Universal but is present at Universal in at least some posters so technically (and with him being part of the avengers family) cannot be used by Disney, but with the success of that movie you know they want to use him more then most any other property right now. I think this may be the character that Disney is willing to fight Universal for.

It might be best for Universal to let them have BP in exchange for rights to as you said above maybe add some marvel attractions with some other characters and both companies win. If not, this could be what makes disney look for any way they can to get those rights.

It is going to be interesting what happens between Disney and Universal especially now with X-Men and FF coming back home.

The MCU has made $15Billion. Who wouldn't want to capitilize on that? and there is where things could get ugly here.

I think what is going to become a big bone of contention between the companies will be Black Panther. He isn't on a ride at Universal but is present at Universal in at least some posters so technically (and with him being part of the avengers family) cannot be used by Disney, but with the success of that movie you know they want to use him more then most any other property right now. I think this may be the character that Disney is willing to fight Universal for.

It might be best for Universal to let them have BP in exchange for rights to as you said above maybe add some marvel attractions with some other characters and both companies win. If not, this could be what makes disney look for any way they can to get those rights.

It is going to be interesting what happens between Disney and Universal especially now with X-Men and FF coming back home.
They are capitalizing on it. In Anaheim, Orlando (Guardians), Paris, and Hong Kong.

They are capitalizing on it. In Anaheim, Orlando (Guardians), Paris, and Hong Kong.

They definitely are, but can you imagine the reaction if you took one of the many unused areas in EPCOT and make something Wakanda themed? IMO that would be huge and give a really big draw to Epcot which can use some more draws. With Pandora in AK, SWGE in HW, then add GotG/BP in Epcot you are getting to the point of having big draws in all 4 parks.

I can't imagine that Disney would not want Wakanda in Orlando somewhere.

They definitely are, but can you imagine the reaction if you took one of the many unused areas in EPCOT and make something Wakanda themed? IMO that would be huge and give a really big draw to Epcot which can use some more draws. With Pandora in AK, SWGE in HW, then add GotG/BP in Epcot you are getting to the point of having big draws in all 4 parks.

I can't imagine that Disney would not want Wakanda in Orlando somewhere.
Personally I hate the idea of Marvel in Epcot.

Also Wakanda is a country. They aren't gonna put this in World Showcase. They could build an exhibit in future world but I don't see them building Wakanda as a land there if they could.

Epcot wil have plenty of draws when all is said and done outside of Black Panther.

Also Wakanda is a country. They aren't gonna put this in World Showcase. They could build an exhibit in future world but I don't see them building Wakanda as a land there if they could.

I've never been a fan of putting any of the IP type stuff into Epcot. I liked the origianl idea of it being free of all that but that Genie is out of the bottle.

I don't think you could or should do a whole land around Wakanda, but a BP/Wakanda type attraction could go into the old wonders of life pavilion which we know they are at least working on even though we have no ideas currently what the plans are. Would be a very prime spot to put something like that if you were going to put it into epcot.

I am not sure Disney wants Marvel at WDW yet. They are doing Guardians which is one thing but Universal pays for those character rights. Both companies seem to be okay with where they are right now.

I agree. Right now they're both fine. I'm just thinking long-term and the original question was about there being any chance for Disney regarding Marvel.

Disney is busy doing a bunch of other stuff, but if they want the rights then 2021 or 2022 is the best time for them to get their characters back. Disney will have all of their new stuff and it will contrast greatly with the state of Marvel Super Hero Island, which will be 22-23 years old. Disney takes forever to actually plan and build anything, so the earliest we'd see any new Marvel rides built from such a deal would probably be closer to 2030.

2030 or later would give Disney enough time to be Disney and it would give Universal enough time to re-theme or rebuild.

Epcot wil have plenty of draws when all is said and done outside of Black Panther.

I'd still prefer Wakanda in Hollywood Studios, but I wouldn't mind if it took the Wonders of Life Pavilion. Something, anything needs to go in there. I mean, It would make for an epic indoor butterfly house, but that's probably not enough of a draw for Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts