Any chance for a Marvel Universe?

Has Universal ever used Black Panther?

he doesn't show up in-person or on a ride, but he appears on a signboard at the captain america diner. ant-man's there too, as he's another character that falls under the avengers. it's unfortunate both of them are used in such a minor way now that they're gaining popularity... (not to mention universal also owns deadpool, since he's part of the x-men family)

captain-america-diner-tables.jpg

Has Universal ever used Black Panther? I’m not sure what umbrella he’d be under. He’s not an original Avenger, he debuted in Fantastic Four, he’s Illuminati and an Ultimate. He’s also his own man and a King. I always saw him more as his own man than as part of a team.

It would be a giant waste if a billion dollar franchise like Black Panther isn’t utilized in a major way. I want to see a Wakanda.

He still falls under the Avengers umbrella. Scarlet Witch isn't an original Avenger and debuted in X-men but she's still under the Avengers umbrella.

I know Universal has done superhero coasters, But it seems like there is a huge opportunity to have a Disney park dedicated to the Marvel universe. Something like Magic Kingdom with different lands for the major superheroes. No one seems to be tiring of the franchise and I understand there are more and more characters that will be coming out in the future. The possibilities are endless and hard to contain in just one or two attractions at DHS. What would you envision???

It be cool if Disney owned all the characters, I actually had a CM get in a discussion with me today about that since I was wearing a scarlet witch shirt, but Disney movies can't call her that. I was very surpirsed to see how few avengers merchandise there was with infinity wars out, especially any for adults.

I think it be an awesome idea though if they could ever come to an agreement to share the characters more.

There's a spot in Marvel Superhero Island that is part of the "story of the land" called the meteor crash site at the center of the land, with yellow shards sticking out with heroes on them, it's right across the street from the entrance to the Spiderman ride. I've heard from multiple people (Universal) that this is a representation of a contract addendum which lists explicitly which characters they have rights to.

For example, Black Panther IS on these shards, but Dr. Strange, Captain Marvel, Big Hero Six, and Star Lord, Rocket Raccoon, and Groot are not (Drax and Gamora however are questionable use for Disney World).

This google maps street view allows you to look around at the shards.

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.470...4!1seIOU4CqHG5K-_R0QWZNYGA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

A good rule of thumb is if the character is there, Disney World cannot use it.

Last edited:

In the '90s, Marvel split their titles up into "families" for the film and licensing deals. These include all the heroes, villains and secondary characters most closely related to the title.
  • Spider-man family, held by Sony
  • X-Men family, owned by Fox (including all of the mutant titles and the name "mutant")
  • Fantastic 4 family, owned by Fox (includes Silver Surfer and Galactus)
  • Hulk family, sold to Universal, reverted to Marvel
  • Daredevil family, sold to Fox, reverted to Marvel
  • Avengers family, owned by Marvel
  • Not sure if Ghost-Rider was sold as a family, but maybe
When they packaged the rights to sell to Universal, they were lumped by these families. Titles that fall completely outside of these families or that were newer, like GOTG and Big Hero 6, weren't included in the deal. But there are other weird factors, Universal Parks has certain control over the comic-book likenesses of these characters and the name Marvel at extends beyond their Orlando location.

Great break down! I'll add that the x-men family includes also lineage. Avengers had to change the backstory for Wanda and Pietro since they can't state its Magneto's Children.

I'm kinda worried about the Ms. Marvel movie coming up since her backstory includes Rogue which disney does not own.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter