Any difference between Ralph and Mint Julep Beignets?

bethwc101

DIS Veteran
For the traditional beignets is there a difference between Ralph Brennan's and the Mint Julep? We have had Ralph's and love them, but no the Mint Julep. I also notice they don't sell in the large quantities that Ralph's does.

RB's are ACTUAL Beignets. The MJ bar's are beignet-esque. They are both good, but RB's are a world apart for the better. Disneyland's aren't even on the same level.

I've only had the beignets from RB's (never had one before anywhere) so I can't compare but I can say they were sooooooooo good!

Personally, I think the Jazz Kitchen's beignets are far superior in taste than DL's. Disney beignets are just super cute.

Has anyone else noticed they haven't tasted as good as they used to lately? It seems like maybe the oil is older or a different kind of oil. I thought it was a fluke, but went back a few weeks later and still had that funny taste.

Had some Friday the 15th, they were quite tasty and much better than anything inside the parks. And this is after my Daughter and I had already polished off the double chocolate soufflé.:rolleyes1 Yes, we had two desserts, but we did share an entree, so I am ok with that.

We much prefer the beignets at Ralph Brennan's. For me, the only thing the Mint Julep Bar beignets have going for them is the fact that they are Mickey-shaped. The ones in DTD are always hot, fresh, fluffy, and liberally coated in powdered sugar. The ones in the park always taste kind of stale to me and they are sad and deflated. I obviously take beignets very seriously.

Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen beignets are far superior is every way other than the shape lol. They are actual beignets, thick and not hollow like the Disneyland ones.

I agree that the two places serve different beignets. Both are yummy, but I prefer the ones inside the park. They're much cuter and I actually like the hollowness (it feels more light and airy that way, but I'm not a fan of doughy or dense or bready pastries in general). The mint juleps are also different between Brennan's and the Mint Julep Bar. Like the beignets, the mint julep at Brennan's is closer to authentic (minus the alcohol).

Jazz Kitchen has real beignets. Mint J does not. Plus it seems like Mint J always has a long line (probably for the drinks). The only advantage is that they're in the park. You have to leave to get the good ones.

Jazz Kitchen has real beignets. Mint J does not. Plus it seems like Mint J always has a long line (probably for the drinks). The only advantage is that they're in the park. You have to leave to get the good ones.
This

I obviously take beignets very seriously.
Us too. We are getting the best of both worlds. We are staying at the DLH this upcoming trip, so I'll leave 10-15 before the group and grab RB beignets on our way through DTD. Real Beignets we can eat in line/in the park if they make it.

I know this a long shot, but does anyone know how the Jazz Kitchen beignets compare to a Dutch treat called "olie bollen"? I grew up with this treat and it's like a dense ball of fried dough with raisins inside, served in a paper bag with powder sugar that you shake it in. Someone told me the Disneyland beignets are just like it so I recently tried Mint Julep's and was disappointed. Hoping Jazz Kitchen will be worth the trip :)

I know this a long shot, but does anyone know how the Jazz Kitchen beignets compare to a Dutch treat called "olie bollen"? I grew up with this treat and it's like a dense ball of fried dough with raisins inside, served in a paper bag with powder sugar that you shake it in. Someone told me the Disneyland beignets are just like it so I recently tried Mint Julep's and was disappointed. Hoping Jazz Kitchen will be worth the trip :)

I wouldn't say just like them, but quite similar. I've only had them in Amsterdam. I've yet to find a good stroopwaffel outside of Netherlands too. Dutch pancakes (or dutch babies) are quite easy to reproduce at home however.

I love the bite sized ones from Ralph's but had never tried the Mickey ones at the Mint Julep. I finally decided to this past summer and my dd and I got an order and after taking one bite I went back to the window and asked if they were supposed to be hollow shells and they said they were. I was soooo disappointed I actually asked for a refund which I have never done at any of the places to eat there. They were super nice about it. I just could not get over the fact that there was absolutely nothing to them but the shape. I think they are seriously overpriced for what they are. Funny thing is I probably would have accepted them as is (although still being disappointed by them) if I hadn't had the real beignets at Ralph's.

Looks like on our first day I will do a run of Ralph Brennans while family is waiting in line for the main entrance.

I don't think they are at all alike. JMO. I loved those in Amsterdam- yum!!!

I like both kinds of beignets, but they are different. I prefer the Mickey ones because I don't like the food at Jazz Kitchen, so we aren't there otherwise. We eat at French Market a lot, so I can pop into line at Mint Julep while the family finishes eating lunch. Just easier. They are also smaller and less filling, which I prefer. Mine have always been super hot and fresh tasting, so not sure about the reports about them being stale. As with everything, different people like different things. :)

The only thing I liked about the Mickey beignets from the MJ bar is the fact that they come with 2 dipping sauces. I don't really remember what they were, but something like a creamy stuff and a jam. However, there really is no comparison between those and the JK beignets, which are superior in every way. I feel like such a porker though because I mow through that bag like nobody's business and I usually end up coated in powdered sugar. But, one must make sacrifices sometimes :D

You can buy the same beignet mix at Cost Plus/World Market. It's a lot easier than making your own although probably not as good. I don't know as I've never tried it from scratch.

I wouldn't say just like them, but quite similar. I've only had them in Amsterdam. I've yet to find a good stroopwaffel outside of Netherlands too. Dutch pancakes (or dutch babies) are quite easy to reproduce at home however.

Thanks! Maybe I'll reset my expectations then :) and I bought DH a stroopwafel maker two years ago for Christmas! It was a pain to hunt down but wortht it. They actually come out pretty good! We also have two frozen sticks of banket in our freezer right now, just waiting to be thawed and eaten when we need an indulgence haha

I like both kinds of beignets, but they are different. I prefer the Mickey ones because I don't like the food at Jazz Kitchen, so we aren't there otherwise. We eat at French Market a lot, so I can pop into line at Mint Julep while the family finishes eating lunch. Just easier. They are also smaller and less filling, which I prefer. Mine have always been super hot and fresh tasting, so not sure about the reports about them being stale. As with everything, different people like different things. :)

Good to know, thanks! And I should clarify, I do like the Mint Julep beignets! They're light and delicious. They just weren't what I expected when compared to olie bollen but it sounds like I just need throw that comparison out :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!