Any Dis Dr's/Nurses around- Rash question. Long

You definitely need to have labs done to makesure the itching isn’t related to anything going on in your body. I’ve always had allergies and this happens to me and my daughter all the time. Wherever we scratch becomes red and then bumpy but goes away after the same period of time. I think it sounds like a normal inflammatory reaction to stimuli, but you should definitely be seen by a MD, especially since you were just on antibiotics. Do you take anything for pain that has an opiate in it by any chance? All opiates will cause itching like you describe, even codeine. It could be numerous numerous things. Anything from an insect or poison ivy will not disappear however so you can put that out of your mind. Stupid question but have you washed your bedding including pillows since the dog has slept in it?
No pain pills at all.
I have washed and dried all bedding including pillows on high heat for 40mins every single day

could it be hives? they tend to come and go. I had a case of viral hives after a cold once. Drove me crazy, would wake up fine and within a few minutes, i would break out in an itchy rash. The rash would come and go throughout the day. Appearing in one area, clear up and reappear in another area.

DS(30) started with random hives...after months of investigating we figured out he was allergic to sodium phosphate, which is in pretty much everything! Takes 1-2 days after eating it to have the hives start up. Much worse when it's hot, such as after the shower. Sadly the only thing to be done is read every single label and avoid as much as possible. Bendryl is bought in larger bottles in this house.

DD has dermography. It started when she was 2 and it seems to flare up worse when she's hot. She was covered in huge welts covering her lower back where her diaper rubbed, it was so scary. And anytime anything firmly pressed against her she would get welts there. We tested for everything we could think of, then one day the doctor took a tongue depressor and drew on her belly and a rash in exactly the shape he'd drawn popped up.

There really isn't much that we can do about it beyond keepong her from scratching ans using benadryl cream when she's itchy.

Another vote for the derm. and in the future go to a derm before a doc puts you on pills.

If a pill is prescribed it better be for a DIAGNOSED cause in my book.

BTDT, see the derm.

UPDATE: The itching didn't go away so I went back to a different hospital yesterday. The doctor took photos and sent them to the dermotology department who confirmed definitely not scabies. Diagnosis was Hives, Pruitus and dermatographism. I was given a script for Kenalog and Zytec and a referral to call dermotology in the morning.

Of course I woke up this morning fine! A few bruises where I had scratched, but zero itching and no more hives!

OP I'm not a doctor or nurse but I have a ton of drug allergies. I would almost bet that the rash was from the antibiotic you were taking. My son had a rash covering his entire body after finishing a 7 days of penicillin. I took him back to the doctor and she took one look at him at told me what it was. I wasn't even thinking about it being an allergy since I thought it would have happened during the week he took it, not a few days later. I have an anaphylaxis reaction to the antibiotic Ciprofloxacin or anything in that family but it's different than the Penicillin or amoxicillin allergy that my son has.

I also saw a child at my doctor's office last year in the waiting room who was covered in a bad rash. His mother said "don't worry, he's not contagious, it's a reaction to penicillin. Of course I told her my son had that same reaction years ago.

Antibiotic allergies are hard to test although both my son and I saw an allergist following our reactions. It's easier to just avoid the drug.

AnnaFloridaLover, my daughter had a similar reaction after 7 days of taking Augmentin. Came on much later in the course and she had taken it many times before. It was the only strange thing she had taken/done so we knew it was that. It wasn't a typical rash. For the next 3 weeks, every time she cried, she would get a rash on her cheeks where the tears got them wet. It was weird.

AnnaFloridaLover, my daughter had a similar reaction after 7 days of taking Augmentin. Came on much later in the course and she had taken it many times before. It was the only strange thing she had taken/done so we knew it was that. It wasn't a typical rash. For the next 3 weeks, every time she cried, she would get a rash on her cheeks where the tears got them wet. It was weird.

Hay fever was my worst allergy as a child. I didn't have any known drug allergies at that time. I started taking 3 times weekly shots for my severe hay fever. After about 9 months of taking the shots I had an anaphylaxis reaction to the allergy shot. I went through the next 25 years without any new major allergies. When I was 40, I had a total thyroidectomy and had a severe reaction to the morphine I was given while under. While I was in the hospital recovering they gave me Percocet for the pain which resulted in anaphylaxis yet again. I had previously taken Percocet after my wisdom teeth were removed without incident, years before. I'm allergic to all narcotics now. As for the antibiotics, I had taken cipro years earlier without any reaction. I can still take other antibiotics, thank god and knock wood!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter