Any Disney Cruisers try Princess?

CaliforniaDreaming

#1 Grand Floridian Fan/Expert
Have any of you Disney Cruisers ever cruised with Princess? They seem to have some really good last minute cruise fares (balcony staterooms for the price of insides on the Magic). We're looking at the Grand or Golden, or of course the Magic (plus open to RCCL's Voyager Class ships, as well as Celebrity's Constellation/Millennium).

I know it would have to be hard to compare another line to DISNEY, and I'm wondering if we'd have a better time on the Magic or Wonder (if, for any reason, just because it's Disney).

Thanks!

I have been on Princess too, but it was a long time ago. Things have likely changed a lot as the cruise industry as a whole has evolved. Anyway, on Princess, meals were really an amazing time. There were so many courses and so many choices at each course that it would make your head spin! They brought a different menu for each course.

The stateroom was larger than we expected(but again....long time ago) I don't think we ever went to a single show though because after those dinners....who could move! Large pools, Very attentive staff.

I am also considering switching my next cruise to Princess....maybe Celebrity....There really are some amazing prices out there.

cruisecritic.com has really good boards like this one for most all cruise lines. You could probably get some current information on the actual ships you are considering.

My brother and his wife just took a Princess cruise in Feb. They were on the Golden Princess. They normally cruise Celebrity and they liked Celebrity better. They had a room with a balcony and she said the shower was so small that if you dropped the soap bar you could not bend down to get it. She thought Celebrity's entertainment was better and also their staff. She was not that impressed with the food. She said too many fish choices and not enough variety of the other. Although she said the ship was beautiful and they had a good time, she preferred Celebrity overall.

We have been on both the Grand Princess and RCCL Voyager of the Seas recently. Both were a lot of fun, lots to do, LOTS to eat. We had a mini suite on GP and didn't think it was worth the extra $$$$. Never saw shows because we were too exhausted from stuff during the day.:) Well, I take that back, we did see the ice show on VOS, that was worth it. If I had to compare, I'd say that you can't beat Disney's service, embarkation and private island. Princess and RCCL have strengths in that there was more variety in shows (although we didn't see any as I said) and gambling (if that is your thing) and that food was available 24 hours a day. If you get a good deal, I'd say go for it, you will have a great time!

Lisa

I have sailed on both RCL and Princess. RCL - Caribbean. Princess - Alaska. But both were many years ago. If I were to compare - Princess would win hands down. Can't wait to try Disney out. October 12 - Wonder.

We sailed the Grand Princess to the Eastern Caribbean in '99 and the Sun Princess to the Panama Canal last April. We had a great time on both cruises. We had balcony cabins for both cruises. Princess is different than Disney, but still good. It is a bit more formal. The servers are professional servers, they are slightly stuffy, not fun like the Disney servers. There are lounges tucked into every corner. The extra-cost restaurant doesn't even come close to Palo and is a lot more money.
My TA specializes in Princess cruises. We'd like to take another, but we have to wait until we get DD's birth certificate. Meanwhile, we will wait until October 2004 to go Disney cruisin'.

We cancelled our 3 day land/ 4 day Wonder cruise over New Year's Eve this year and booked a 7 day Dawn Princess cruise. We will start in San Juan and go south. We have never been on Princess but we have cruised Celebrity twice and DCL five times. Our TA has been on Celebrity and Princess. She thought the two lines were equal. She has never been on the "mouse" ship. She can't get over the Disney theme. We love Disney but sometimes we just need a change. Kathy

I've been on Princess, DCL and Celebrity (and going on RCI in May).

I would say that depending on what ship you are on with Celebrity it is pretty close to equal to DCL. Although believe it or not the Millenium's alternative restaurant actually blew away Palo's hands down! (It was simply that incredible.) We went on a longer cruise with Celebrity and it was during Oct (school was in session) and there were hardly any kids on board. A much older crowd over all but very friendly and still plenty to do.

Princess ...we were on the Grand. It was a great boat with a nice room at a good price (mini-suite). Service was decent, the personal choice dining was great, however, the food wasn't very good at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter