Any Excursion Suggestions?

tinkerbellmom1

DIS Veteran
We took our first trip to Aulani in January of 2019 and we loved it! We purchased another contract at Aulani so that we can visit every year or so. When we were there we didn't leave for any sight seeing except for Pearl Harbor. We are going again in January and would love to see more of the island, snorkel and zip line. Do you have any suggestions for good tours

If you haven’t done so already, check out the excursion page on Aulani’s website or Viator to get an idea of what your tour options are. Keep in mind that most tours don’t provide pick up in Ko Olina, which is where Aulani is. That means you will have to drive to Waikiki to pick up a lot of the tours and that can take up to 45 minutes in rush hour traffic. Make sure you read the fine print on the posted Aulani tours because a lot of them do not provide transportation to the pick up point.

Most of the things to do can be easily done yourself. I did the catamaran and Polynesian Cultural Center tours that Aulani offers in previous years. Everything else I’ve seen has been on my own. Also keep in mind that several tours have a minimum number of guests required for the tour to go out and only go on certain days. You can start researching availability now and that may help you determine if you will need to do it on your own or can do it with a tour group. Some things I’ve been researching for my upcoming trip which may interest you: The Surf Bus(North Shore), Waimea Valley, Shark dives, SUP/surf lessons and outrigger canoe rides with Waikiki Beach Services, Hanauma Bay snorkeling, Kualoa Ranch....Good luck.

Last edited:
Whale watching on the Honolulu Star.
Leonard's Bakery
Matsumoto's Shave Ice in Haleʻiwa on Oahu's North Shore
Giovanni's Shrimp Truck on the North Shore
Blue Hawaii Helicopter tour
The North Shore Zipline by CLIMB Works Keana Farms
Couples massage at Massage Envy

That should keep you busy enough

ziplining at climbworks
lanikai beach
outrigger canoe rides in Waikiki
catamaran ride
walk next door to see the turtles at Paradise cove lagoon

kualoa ranch ( we did horseback a previous year)
I have the first things suggested in a video my daughter did from last summer (all coming from a 16 year old perspetive haha) link below

I agree with @abdgeek—the most economical and flexible way to tour is to just rent a car. You can spend as little or as much time as you like at places, eat where you want, etc. Driving on Oahu is not challenging at all—it’s mostly small-town feel. Now rush hour can be slow because of sheer volume on the few roads, but this isn’t 8-lame freeway traffic here, and of course signage is typical of any other American state. No way would I pay for a bunch of tours.

Rent a car, excursions are way over priced. There is so much to do, what do you want to do and I can help you. Here are a few suggestions.

Snorkeling: (Go to Costco or Target and buy)
Hanauma Bay
Sharks Cove
There is a neat little place by Paradise Cove Luau that you can walk to from Aulani (beach access near Luau parking lot.)

North Shore: Just walking around Haleiwa
Pipeline Beach
There is a beach over by marina in Haleiwa that we always see turtles. West of marina.
Shrimp Trucks, Mikes Bakery

Shaved Ice: My favorite and cheapest is Dan's Shave Ice in Waianae. I personally don't like Matsumoto's. The Shave Ice is better at Aulani than Matsumoto's.

Town:
Waikiki
Diamond Head
National Memorial Cemetery (Amazing views of town)

South Side:
Sandy Beach (Break Neck Beach) if you want to watch body surfing. Just don't get in if waves are really big. Very dangerous if you don't know what you are doing.

West Side:
Hike to Ka'ena Point
Hike Gorilla Mountain
Yokes Beach (Stay near life guard station for safety)

Just a few examples.

There is a ton more. Send me a message I can give you a ton of different ideas.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter