Any first hand reports of Photo Pass box with Tink?

Can we all agree that Memory Maker has been in a long decline? That cell phones take a larger percentage than ever before? That in the off chance that a family has to have a hoto that the box is the cheapest way to provide it? Live photographers are never coming back.

I also think people are becoming more savvy and making their own Magic Shots...

Before

After

Before

After

During my recent experience (Saturday) the Mickey photo box was not working and replaced by a photographer. The line moved very quickly.

In contrast I jumped in a 15 min wait for Tink last night. The wait ended up being 80 mins, photos were taken by the box. The photos are not bad, the cm said that the long waits were due to issues with the photo box.

Can we all agree that Memory Maker has been in a long decline? That cell phones take a larger percentage than ever before? That in the off chance that a family has to have a hoto that the box is the cheapest way to provide it? Live photographers are never coming back.
Good point. The main drive for PhotoPass for me is simply not having the hassle of asking some stranger to snap the photo or one of the party NOT being in the photos. That and the ride photos.

Basically if they go the route of boxes (that dont take great photos) people will just revert back to using their own cameras and stop buying the service.

But I think the technology is there to have photo boxes -- if they choose to invest in that technology. Have a bunch of cameras set up. Take tons of photos. Take a video at every M&G not just photos. Put boxes up in front of landmarks (like the purple wall) Put more photos on rides ... like on EVERY ride. Put a camera in the Millenium Falcon cockpit ... etc. etc.

Digital photos have pretty much no cost but storage space.

In contrast I jumped in a 15 min wait for Tink last night. The wait ended up being 80 mins, photos were taken by the box.
80 minutes is ridiculous.

I get the feeling that the boxes were meant to increase efficiency and get people through the line quicker. Even if the boxes continue doing the exact opposite because of technical issues, I think Disney still will try to sell it as an "improvement."

Whoever was involved with this decision being implemented has never took a family vacation to their own properties. If they had, they would have known this was an awful idea and would cost them more money than they could have ever saved.

My daughter, who is Photopass, tells me that none of the execs who started this are with the company any more.

I also think people are becoming more savvy and making their own Magic Shots...
Is there a thread detailing how to do this? I looked through a few pages of your "Magic Shots" thread, but it didn't look like it was being discussed there. Or is this simply done through an app?

Is there a thread detailing how to do this? I looked through a few pages of your "Magic Shots" thread, but it didn't look like it was being discussed there. Or is this simply done through an app?
Hmm, you're right it's not discussed on the Magic Shot thread. :idea: Might have to do something about that!
Here's the thing, I'm old school. I still use WordPerfect and not PowerPoint or any other photo app and for me, I'm good with that. I download photos onto word, search on Google for Images on whatever character I want. Add the image to word, sometimes I remove the background or use "Set Transparent Color" because not all images can be used. Then I add it to the photo.
I'm sure there is a faster way or an app one could use and hopefully other's will chime in. I'd love to add it to the thread.

Last edited:
The problem with the boxes is getting kids to smile and look at it. We have no good family pictures from any box photopass station. Zero. Out of hundreds. Someone isn’t looking in every single pic. Contrast that with photographers where at least half of them are looking good.

This. With a human photographer, I might see an occasional unfocused photo or one where the photo looks a little awkward, but I still had more good photos I can choose from that I can then put in my own digital slide show. And I really hate the idea of making the character attendant do double duty of now them being the one to take photos with my phone just to make sure I get a halfway-decent photo. But if they don't shift back come December, that's what I'm going to have to do.

I'm happier waiting a few extra minutes to get GOOD photos from real people than waiting up to two days for BAD photos. I'm really concerned about that amount of time it takes for photos to appear as I'm going to have to really keep track of the times my photos were taken on those.

Back on topic, I'm very surprised this was ever approved. From the quant side, I "get" why they might have considered this. But no one said during a meeting "Wait. you're going to ask people to look at a box to have their picture taken? No."

Back on topic, I'm very surprised this was ever approved. From the quant side, I "get" why they might have considered this. But no one said during a meeting "Wait. you're going to ask people to look at a box to have their picture taken? No."
I'm not surprised at all....boxes mean less people needing a paycheck even if it means less customer satisfaction as it's all about the bottom line under this regime and not guest experience

Like I said, I get the quantitative reasons behind the switch. But even in this regime of cost cutting, there still is SOME importance placed on guest experiences, even if it is less than before. And even within this "era of less", I'm surprised that this got approved. It's just a bridge too far.

In the news today about the guy groping Ariel it says the Photopass photographer was the one who stepped in and kind-of saved her. Their photos led to the arrest. Maybe this will help sway Disney a little to leave well enough alone

In the news today about the guy groping Ariel it says the Photopass photographer was the one who stepped in and kind-of saved her. Their photos led to the arrest. Maybe this will help sway Disney a little to leave well enough alone
There was a photopass photographer and character attendant during that incident. The photos identified him while the CM character attendant redirected him. He's a registered sex offender, btw.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!