Any Fitbit users out there?

Cherylbug

Mouseketeer
Hi guys. My husband just bought me the Fitbit Charge HR and I must be doing something incorrectly with it. I just charged it up last night and set it up then went to bed with it on. This morning before my feet ever hit the floor it said I had already walked 47 steps. Also I walked up a flight of stairs at my daughter's apartment today and when I came back down them it was reading that I only did 1 stair. Is there something I'm doing wrong? I would like an accurate account (or as close as possible) of what I'm doing everyday. Any advice you can give is so much appreciated!

Not sure about the steps, but the stairs only counts going up not down. I have the same fitbit as you.

Thank you! I sent Fitbit a private message on facebook and they replied saying it probably measured tossing and turning in my sleep as steps but as for the stairs they weren't quite sure. They told me to restart it to see if that corrects the problem so I guess when I get home this afternoon I'll try that. I don't know why it only measured that I did 1 stair step because there are at least 15 up to her apartment (unless they only count them as flights instead of actual steps??).

Thank you! I sent Fitbit a private message on facebook and they replied saying it probably measured tossing and turning in my sleep as steps but as for the stairs they weren't quite sure. They told me to restart it to see if that corrects the problem so I guess when I get home this afternoon I'll try that. I don't know why it only measured that I did 1 stair step because there are at least 15 up to her apartment (unless they only count them as flights instead of actual steps??).

That's 1 FLIGHT of stairs. It does not measure individual stairs.

I have a fitbit but it's the zip so it doesn't do stairs. If you aren't concerned about sleep monitoring you could always try just putting it on in the morning so you don't get the steps tossing and turning in bed.

Also did you get up to use the bathroom in the middle of the night after midnight? Those steps would be counted also.

I have a Fitbit Flex and it most certainly measures every step within a flight of stairs, both up and down. I thought that was the case, but just double checked by walking down to my basement. Added 13 steps going down and another 13 coming up. Don't know if different devices measure differently. Or if it matters how you're wearing the device. I have mine in the wristband on my left wrist. Don't know if that matters at all.

My Surge and Fitbit One does the same thing. Cheryl your activity tracker is working perfectly.

If you sync your device, you know exactly when those steps or movements were triggered on the app or website with the graphs.

I have the fitbit one, so I have a different model. I wear it clipped in my pocket or waistband. I've had it almost a year now, and wear it everyday, but the night wristband only 1/3 of the time.

Mine has always counted flights, not individual stairs.
If I go up and down the stairs at my house it gives me one.
If I go from the ground level/1st floor to the 5th floor at work, it gives me 4.

Depending on the incline it will also count certain hills as stairs for me, I guess it is the same type of motion?

And yes it does measure steps while you move in your sleep. I usually have it off for an equivalent amount when getting ready, so I don't worry about it, I usually have around 30-35 steps overnight without getting up. If I leave it off overnight, then it is always zero in the morning.

As for step accuracy, I've walked around counting steps and watching the numbers change on my app, and it has been right on step.

Good Luck, and hope you enjoy your fitbit. I love mine!

I'm really confused why it would only count a flight and not each individual step. I mean you're taking 13, 14, 15 steps to go up to the next floor. Why wouldn't those count?

To put it in perspective if you climbed to the top of a ten story building, you'd feel like you walked a whole lot more than 10 steps! And you'd definitely be getting some cardio exercise--more than you would taking 10 steps across the room.

Just doesn't seem to make sense to me!

And watching the app on my phone while walking up and down my basement steps, the numbers did increase with each step, not just once at the end of the flight.

I'm really confused why it would only count a flight and not each individual step. I mean you're taking 13, 14, 15 steps to go up to the next floor. Why wouldn't those count?

To put it in perspective if you climbed to the top of a ten story building, you'd feel like you walked a whole lot more than 10 steps! And you'd definitely be getting some cardio exercise--more than you would taking 10 steps across the room.

And watching the app on my phone while walking up and down my basement steps, the numbers did increase with each step, not just once at the end of the flight.

Each individual stair/step riser still counts as a step for our your overall daily step total. Stairs/flights climbed is for each flight of stairs and doesn't always match exactly depending on the length of the staircase. 10 vertical feet equals approximately 1 flight.

Thank you everyone! I'm learning as I go along. One thing U'm not crazy about is it doesn't measure that I've done anything when I bike, other than my heart rate. I guess it only measures things when your arm is in motion or when your feet hit the floor/ground.

The Flex and Zip do not track flights of stairs climbed as a separate number in addition to total steps overall. The other models do. So if you do a flight you get 15 steps. Someone with a higher model gets 15 steps and 1 flight. Very motivational to skip the elevator.

Thank you everyone! I'm learning as I go along. One thing U'm not crazy about is it doesn't measure that I've done anything when I bike, other than my heart rate. I guess it only measures things when your arm is in motion or when your feet hit the floor/ground.

I put my HR on my ankle when I ride and get steps.

I don't think of my Fitbit as an Official, Scientfic measurement of the number of steps I take each day - I don't have any need to know EXACTLY how many steps I take or how many steps I climb. I rely on it to count whatever it counts consistently and use the step count it provides as a relative measurement of how much I move. I think I'd go crazy trying to figure out if every step I take is accurately counted.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter