Any guess on new itineraries?

We called National Geo last week and all their Egypt trips for 2020 are SOLD OUT. I am hoping ABD will come up with a similar itinerary to National Geographic's which includes a cruise on the Nile River.

I guess the announcement didn't happen today.
National Geographic uses ScenicUsa for their Egypt Nile River Cruise Tour which still has some openings but there are no National Geographic experts or photographers.

scenicusa.com/tours/egypt-in-depth/8161

I'd love to be able to compare to the old ABD Itinerary, too. This trip looks very similar to the Nat Geo private expedition although I haven't had time to do a line by line comparison: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/.../africa/private/egypt-tour-vacation-packages/ The price point of the Nat Geo trip is $5-6k, depending on how many people you have. We've been dying to go to Egypt, but I'm still hesitant about safety. ABD re-entering the market makes me feel a little better about it. We weren't planning a big trip in 2020, but this is tempting. We'll see what the rest of the family says.

Edited to add: I just noticed there is a difference in that ABD goes to Sharm El-Shiekh so I'll have to investigate that.

I'd love to be able to compare to the old ABD Itinerary, too. This trip looks very similar to the Nat Geo private expedition although I haven't had time to do a line by line comparison: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/.../africa/private/egypt-tour-vacation-packages/ The price point of the Nat Geo trip is $5-6k, depending on how many people you have. We've been dying to go to Egypt, but I'm still hesitant about safety. ABD re-entering the market makes me feel a little better about it. We weren't planning a big trip in 2020, but this is tempting. We'll see what the rest of the family says.

Edited to add: I just noticed there is a difference in that ABD goes to Sharm El-Shiekh so I'll have to investigate that.
Yes, you are correct. No Red Sea visit on the Nat Geo trip.

My family has been wanting to go to Egypt for 10 years. I kept telling them "Not until ABD deems it is safe."

That day has finally come. Just put in a request with Dreams Unlimited for a May 2020 Egypt trip!

The Egypt itinerary looks pretty cool, other than the first day. Seems that day is more like a pre-day than a tour day. Get to the hotel, check in, have dinner on your own. No planned activities until breakfast on day two.

The Egypt itinerary looks pretty cool, other than the first day. Seems that day is more like a pre-day than a tour day. Get to the hotel, check in, have dinner on your own. No planned activities until breakfast on day two.

For better or worse that’s not uncommon with some of the exotic trips. South Africa is the exact same and SE Asia was the same when I did it. Japan is similar except the dinner at one of the hotel restaurants is paid for by ABD even though it’s on your own.

Yes, you are correct. No Red Sea visit on the Nat Geo trip.

My family has been wanting to go to Egypt for 10 years. I kept telling them "Not until ABD deems it is safe."

That day has finally come. Just put in a request with Dreams Unlimited for a May 2020 Egypt trip!

I’m interested in the fact ABD is going to the Sinai if for no other reason than few other groups seem to go there. Anytime a group can go off the beaten path, and you can see a broader picture of the country is cool with me.

Cousin Orville - you are right, never really thought about it on the other trip itineraries. It kind of struck me on this one because it almost reads like you should just stay at the hotel.

Cousin Orville - you are right, never really thought about it on the other trip itineraries. It kind of struck me on this one because it almost reads like you should just stay at the hotel.

Yes, I’m reading that too. It seems to stress the spa and amenities of the Ritz. I’m ok with that. I don’t know anything about Cairo, but it seems that ABD covers the highlights of the city. I’m sure I’ll do a couple of pre days, but I may not actually do them in Cairo.

Cynical me of course thinks about the fact that by doing it this way we are supposed to pay tips for that day.

I’m interested in the fact ABD is going to the Sinai if for no other reason than few other groups seem to go there. Anytime a group can go off the beaten path, and you can see a broader picture of the country is cool with me.

I did a little more research last night and this actually concerned me. I thought then going to SES was cool, but now I'm not so sure. As I'm in the UK, the foreign office advisories came up first, and the UK actually recommends only essential AIR trips to Sharm El Sheikh presumably due to airport safety and the 2015 Russian air disaster, which is thought to be terrorism.https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/egypt Hmm. They have suspended all UK flights to SES, but I read some other stuff that made me wonder if local flights would be any better if the airport safety is the issue. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/...-to-Sharm-el-Sheikh-The-latest-travel-advice/ I also found this: https://www.thebrokebackpacker.com/is-egypt-safe/ The article is from February and they have a pretty balanced take, although not a ringing endorsement of safety, LOL. They also mention SES. "Even once booming resorts like Sharm el Sheik are relative ghost towns now. Once a popular run-of-the-mill seaside resort with beaches and world-class dive sites, it’s now a shadow of its former self. The UK government has actually suspended flights directly to here." More research needed, but my first run wasn't a ringing endorsement :( The fact that ABD has deemed it safe though is somewhat reassuring, and I am confident if things become unstable they will be among the first to make changes. But I'm still waffling.

Just when we thought we were out, the pulled us back in!

We are so in for Egypt (December 2020). The itinerary hit every note for me and I would never go on my own. Safety is a concern but if ABD is going; they have researched it. We are doing early booking and I am already trying on white blouses and red pants (a la Marion in Raiders of the Lost Ark). We are so excited for this one!

@CaliforniaGirl09 I think that’s a fair concern. It seems that the UK is the only country that still restricts travel to SES. The other countries have reinstated their flights. The US State Dept doesn’t appear to restrict travel to SES. I for one trust Disney. As we all know guest safety is their top priority, and I think they have the resources to make the right risk assessment.

We are so in for Egypt (December 2020). The itinerary hit every note for me and I would never go on my own. Safety is a concern but if ABD is going; they have researched it. We are doing early booking and I am already trying on white blouses and red pants (a la Marion in Raiders of the Lost Ark). We are so excited for this one!

That's the date we are looking at, too! ROFL at Marion--love that!

@CaliforniaGirl09 I think that’s a fair concern. It seems that the UK is the only country that still restricts travel to SES. The other countries have reinstated their flights. The US State Dept doesn’t appear to restrict travel to SES. I for one trust Disney. As we all know guest safety is their top priority, and I think they have the resources to make the right risk assessment.

I do trust them on something like this, too. They have to know they are a big target (nothing quite says America like Disney), so I'm sure everything has been well researched and any references to "Disney" will be pretty muted. I'm also confident they will change the itinerary or cancel again if the situation deteriorates over there. But I think I'll be buying a big maple leaf sweatshirt for this one though :)

That's the date we are looking at, too! ROFL at Marion--love that!

I do trust them on something like this, too. They have to know they are a big target (nothing quite says America like Disney), so I'm sure everything has been well researched and any references to "Disney" will be pretty muted. I'm also confident they will change the itinerary or cancel again if the situation deteriorates over there. But I think I'll be buying a big maple leaf sweatshirt for this one though :)

Just chiming in to say that if CaliforniaGirl09 and family book for December 2020, I'll be jumping on, likely as a solo traveler (unless my DD, who will be 18 then, can make a compelling case to DH (who is not at all interested in Egypt and has some definite concerns about safety) that she should be able to decide whether to come with me).

I was duly alarmed by the information in the links CaliforniaGirl shared, but I do feel confident that Disney would alter the itinerary or pull it altogether if safety concerns escalate or become an issue. We've seen them do it before when they pulled the original Egypt trip and also saw DCL do it when they removed Tunis, Tunisia as a port on the 2011 Med cruises.

Just chiming in to say that if CaliforniaGirl09 and family book for December 2020, I'll be jumping on, likely as a solo traveler (unless my DD, who will be 18 then, can make a compelling case to DH (who is not at all interested in Egypt and has some definite concerns about safety) that she should be able to decide whether to come with me).

I was duly alarmed by the information in the links CaliforniaGirl shared, but I do feel confident that Disney would alter the itinerary or pull it altogether if safety concerns escalate or become an issue. We've seen them do it before when they pulled the original Egypt trip and also saw DCL do it when they removed Tunis, Tunisia as a port on the 2011 Med cruises.

Right! Not to mention pulling out of the Eastern Med completely after 2013 and cancelling their Israel/Jordan ABD before it got off the ground. They have their guests and brand to protect.

Right! Not to mention pulling out of the Eastern Med completely after 2013 and cancelling their Israel/Jordan ABD before it got off the ground. They have their guests and brand to protect.

Looks like we will book the October 20 trip to Egypt. Since there is a possibility these tours will be cancelled if the region becomes unstable again when should the flights be booked? I am hoping to use points/miles for the flights so the best flights are usually offered almost a year ahead. Do airlines typically refund your points if you cancel? Thanks.

Looks like we will book the October 20 trip to Egypt. Since there is a possibility these tours will be cancelled if the region becomes unstable again when should the flights be booked? I am hoping to use points/miles for the flights so the best flights are usually offered almost a year ahead. Do airlines typically refund your points if you cancel? Thanks.

You will likely have to pay a redeposit fee to have your points/miles reinstated with the airline. But these are usually relatively modest in comparison to the total points/miles used or a cash fare . For example, United's redeposit fee is $75 per traveler (at least for domestic; it might be a bit higher (maybe $125 or $150) for international). So, assuming I book the December trip, I will likely book air using miles earlier than the PIF date (as soon as I find a good award fare) and will just eat the redeposit fee if I end up changing my mind or if ABD cancels.

You will likely have to pay a redeposit fee to have your points/miles reinstated with the airline. But these are usually relatively modest in comparison to the total points/miles used or a cash fare . For example, United's redeposit fee is $75 per traveler (at least for domestic; it might be a bit higher (maybe $125 or $150) for international). So, assuming I book the December trip, I will likely book air using miles earlier than the PIF date (as soon as I find a good award fare) and will just eat the redeposit fee if I end up changing my mind or if ABD cancels.

Same here. Once we find good first class seats for points, we’ll jump on it and deal with the possibilities of cancellations later. I think that risk is pretty low.

Thanks for the information. Now we just have to figure out which points/miles to earn towards business class seats. We have enough for economy but this is a long flight so time to apply for more credit cards.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter