Any height-challenged folks use pedal extenders in a vehicle?

NotUrsula

DIS Veteran
I was recently in an accident and was slightly injured by the driver's airbag. Firefighters responding said I was very lucky that the injury was as minor as it was, because I was sitting way too close to the wheel. They told me that I should have at least 18 inches of clearance between my chest and the wheel to reduce danger from the airbag. The reality is that I have very short legs, and I probably had about 6 inches. (I am also short generally, so recommendations to further recline my seat back don't help; if I do that I cannot see over the dashboard!)

So, as I'm about to replace my vehicle, and it is unlikely that my legs are going to get any longer at my age, I'm wondering about installing pedal extenders. I'm looking for advice, recommendations, warnings, etc. from other short folks on using these things.

I don’t have any experience, sorry.

I’m just answering because people are more likely to open a thread when they see there’s been some traffic and a response.

Hopefully someone comes along who can help. :flower3:

ETA- SEE...

Last edited:
I am short (4’10”) but never thought of this. Our seat pushes forward so I am guessing I sit too forward.

I just brought his up to my husband about our daughter(she's only 4'11"). She is almost rubbing the steering wheel against her upper body while she's driving because she has to move the seat so close. :scared: I'll be following along to see if you get any suggestions.

Interesting. I am only 5ft so definitely have issues too. I use a seatbelt clip for the passenger seat because I worried about the seatbelt cutting into my neck (plus it is more comfortable!)

I do recline my seat a lot and added a seat cushion which helps me see over the steering wheel better.

Now I will have to check my clearance to the airbag....

#shortpeopleproblems

I'm interested in this, too, for my DD. I hadn't considered it until you mentioned it, OP.

DD is 5'2" and sits WAY too close to the steering wheel. She always says its because she can't reach the pedals.

Many/most newer cars have adjustable steering wheels so that you can push it back toward the dash if you're short. Some even have adjustable pedals. In the event your car has neither if you're actually only 6" from the steering wheel, something isn't right. Even if you're short, most cars are designed to accommodate short drivers and allow them to be far enough from the airbag. So first, I'd check with someone in the know to ensure you're positioning your seat/wheel (if adjustable) properly. If so and you're still having an issue, then definitely look into extenders. Make sure they are properly installed, as you don't want them to come loose or fall off while driving.

i'm 5 ft and i've always worried about it, but i have to be able to reach, so i have to have my seat as close as my car allows. my husband got a truck with adjustable pedals and it was wonderful. i've never thought to having it installed in my car, i just hope i am lucky. next car, i will check into it. glad you are ok op!

Yeah, up until now my dealbreaker was the seatbelt anchor; I'm guilty of sometimes not wearing the thing because the retractor chokes me, even at the lowest setting. (The seatbelts on rental cars drive me nuts most of the time, because you never know where a given car will be able to be set.) Now the broken thumb and bruised liver that I have at the moment have awakened me to the airbag issue (my abdomen looks like I went a few rounds with Joe Frazier.) I was going about 20 mph, and nothing further in than the radiator was damaged on the car.

With standard adjustments I usually find that if I raise the seat as far as it will go so that the belt isn't across my throat, then my feet don't squarely reach the pedals. Normally if I'm far enough forward to reach the pedals, then the b-pillar of the car is about 10 inches behind my shoulder, so the seatbelt lock triggers off constantly. I've tried seatbelt clips and fabric seatbelt passthroughs, but they never stay put. Telescoping steering wheels, IME, make the airbag threat worse, not better, because their design is focused on reaching further out, not pulling further in. Automakers suggest 10" from the steering wheel, but my firefighter friends say that's still way too close; that the majority of deployed-airbag accidents they see will have an airbag-related injury, especially if the driver was female.

I'm actually not extraordinarily short (5'3") but I'm chubby and very busty, so all of the adjustments I can make for my upper body end up pushing me farther from the pedals. Fixing those would make everything else easy to line up. All of the vehicles I've found that actually have adjustable pedals are either out of my budget league or (ironically) too large to fit in my 1934 garage, so naturally, the next option is to look at ways to extend the pedals. I am looking at vehicles that are supposedly good for shorter drivers; and maybe that will work out, but I'm investigating plan B just in case.

I am only 4'8 1/2" tall and I am really too close to the steering wheel but there is nothing I can do about it. I do have extendable pedals but even with that I still have to sit close. My legs are really short so if I don't have the extendable pedals I wouldn't be able to drive at all. When looking for my next car 10 yrs ago I went around to all the different dealers and tried out many different vehicles. The only one that I could see and hit the pedals was my van. All the others I could either see or reach the pedals but not both.

I'm 5ft and tend to sit too close as my legs are pretty short too. I had a Nissan Quest from 2004 to 2014 and it had buttons that not only adjusted the seat in many directions but also the foot pedals! That was really neat as I didn't have to be nearly as close to the steering wheel as I've had to be in other vehicles.

My current car doesn't have that option.

5'1" here with exceptionally short legs (my inseam is only 26"), so I have to sit VERY close. What if your arms are also short? I just went and got a tape measure...if I put my arms straight out (which is uncomfortable), from chest to fist I only get 15". Pedal extenders wouldn't help that...

Maybe it's a good thing that I don't drive often.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!