Any Jewelry Making Guru's out there?

DisneyWhirled

DIS Veteran
I will preface this by stating that I have not made any jewelry before, but would like to do some simple necklace/earings for myself or to give as gifts.

I found a strand of beads that I really like, but I am not sure where to start. I "googled" jewelry making, and can get the gist of it, but thought maybe you might have some tips, our could suggest some good books or web sites.

Thanks in advance!!

I could probably answer some questions. I tell my students to get a basic tool kit at the craft store, some beading wire, crimps, clasps, and beads to start. I use a piece of old vellux blanket as a beading surface, a towel works well too. It just needs to be something with a bit on a nap to keep the beads from rolling around. You don't need a needle to bead with the wire.

Just let me warn you, it is addictive. You will start looking at all your old necklaces, thrift store necklaces, broken necklaces in a new light. When you start looking at things and saying "that would look so nice if I just added some silver beads, and a new clasp" your hooked :)

Thanks for the tips!

Now let me ask....I saw a string of beads that I really liked (maybe 6-7) ready to be added to a necklace. Since the beads are already "strung", do you just attach it to some additional wire and add more beads to it?

I'm really sorry if this is a dumb question!!

You have to restring them onto the beading wire. What they are on is just for display, usually it's some kind of fishing line. If it's only like 8 beads, you need to find something to compliment those...usually a smaller size bead is used.

Tip on the clasps: When you crimp the clasp on the wire, give it a good tug to make sure the crimp holds. Leave a tail of about an inch that you will push the beads over and hide the end wire inside them. Do the same on the other side...crimp, clasp, loop back through the crimp, then run through a few beads before you smash that crimp. Smash the crimp, then give that side a tug too before you trim the excess wire. This is to assure the crimp holds. Crimp failure, and beads all over the floor sucks!

I don't mind any questions. None of them are dumb, really, everyone is a newbie in the beginning. Making jewelry is so much fun! You are going to have a blast!

You have to restring them onto the beading wire. What they are on is just for display, usually it's some kind of fishing line. If it's only like 8 beads, you need to find something to compliment those...usually a smaller size bead is used.

Tip on the clasps: When you crimp the clasp on the wire, give it a good tug to make sure the crimp holds. Leave a tail of about an inch that you will push the beads over and hide the end wire inside them. Do the same on the other side...crimp, clasp, loop back through the crimp, then run through a few beads before you smash that crimp. Smash the crimp, then give that side a tug too before you trim the excess wire. This is to assure the crimp holds. Crimp failure, and beads all over the floor sucks!

I don't mind any questions. None of them are dumb, really, everyone is a newbie in the beginning. Making jewelry is so much fun! You are going to have a blast!

Ah hah!! I would have looked pretty funny with a part fishing wire, part beading wire necklace!! Thanks for the clarification!!

This sounds like fun, I can see it being addictive. I am going to get my self the basics and see what I can accomplish.

Thanks so much for your tips. I am bookmarking this page.

I'll keep you posted on my progress!!

I use beads and wire ..and let me tell you that I agre with pp it's addictive.
Where i live the wire jewelry (like 12 gauge wire,yes we make beads and pendants out of it ) is very hot right now .post some pictures when you finish yours :thumbsup2

zuly, will you post some of your's too please :)

This one is just 12 gauge wire and some leather cord

In this one I used 12gwire again but add some wood beads and focal components (larger beads)

I will post more , feel free to ask for info ,hope you like it!:)

This one is another set made with 12g wire and some acrilic and beaded beads

And here are some rings made of wire

I would like to heard some feedback!!!!

zuly, those are really nice! Thanks for sharing!

There are quite a few beading magazines in your local bookstore and even the supermarket and they usually have some how-tos with pictures for earrings, necklaces, bracelets, and the like. The magazines got me started and hooked to beading..so beware! Jae:idea:

Beautiful, Zuly!!! How talented you are!! There is a lot going on here, so I haven't had the opportunity to get all the stuff and sit down to make some jewelry. I can't wait to be able to have some time!!

Thanks for the magazine ideas, I will keep my eye out for them!

Glad you like it! There are a lot of magazines indeed I wen to a bookstore and flip to all of them and then boght only the ones with projects appealing to me the first times then I decided wich one to suscribe.There are a lot of internet sites that you may like ,here are a few:
this one has an inspiration area:

http://www.fusionbeads.com/

this one has instructional videos:

http://www.beaducation.com

:hippie:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter