Any Medical Coders on the Boards?

CapeCodTenor

Dis Veteran; Dis Dads #865
Hey fellow Dis'ers! Any medical coders floating around here? Just curious because I just signed up for the course through AAPC. I don't have any questions yet, just wanted to check in in case I wanted to ask questions or talk shop.

Thanks
CCT

I know two....where I used to live in another state, an acquintance friend, is one...she works from home and she told me it's VERY HARD to gain employment as all employers want 5 years experience. And now my good friend, late 40's, went through a divorce, no work during her marriage, took a loan or (possibly a grant for that field), graduated; and four years now, still can't not find work as a medical coder. She's a receptionist at a doctors office and hoping to get in that way.

Hey fellow Dis'ers! Any medical coders floating around here? Just curious because I just signed up for the course through AAPC. I don't have any questions yet, just wanted to check in in case I wanted to ask questions or talk shop.

Thanks
CCT
I have my CPC designation, although I don't specifically work as a coder. I do health data analysis for an insurer and the company offered up a pilot program a couple of years ago in which they offered the course and exam onsite and fully company paid. I couldn't pass up the opportunity!

The course was intensive and I was incredibly relieved that I passed the test on the first go since I did not want to have to retake it. I also had a couple of cruises during the course period, so my coding books and materials accompanied me to Europe and hawaii and I did my reading and practice tests on vacation.

I know two....where I used to live in another state, an acquintance friend, is one...she works from home and she told me it's VERY HARD to gain employment as all employers want 5 years experience. And now my good friend, late 40's, went through a divorce, no work during her marriage, took a loan or (possibly a grant for that field), graduated; and four years now, still can't not find work as a medical coder. She's a receptionist at a doctors office and hoping to get in that way.

That's the hard part, finding work. I have heard from other coders that they had to start in hospitals/doctor's offices as a receptionist or something like that just to get in the door. Once in they were able to work their way into a coding position, but it is difficult, and one I'm not looking forward to. I have heard that the more you have behind your name, credentials, the easier it is to get a job. So once I finish the training, I just signed up with AAPC, I might try and go for another one.

I have my CPC designation, although I don't specifically work as a coder. I do health data analysis for an insurer and the company offered up a pilot program a couple of years ago in which they offered the course and exam onsite and fully company paid. I couldn't pass up the opportunity!

The course was intensive and I was incredibly relieved that I passed the test on the first go since I did not want to have to retake it. I also had a couple of cruises during the course period, so my coding books and materials accompanied me to Europe and hawaii and I did my reading and practice tests on vacation.

That's dedication! I just signed up for the online course with AAPC and won't start until Nov.

I'm in school right now getting my certificate, I find the medical terminology fascinating. I hope I won't regret it and I'll be able to find work.

I'm not but my mom is and has worked for the same company for 30 + years. She works from home and wouldn't have it any other way.

Once you pass the CPC test you will then have an CPC-A next to your name until you have two years of on the job experience. I passed my test in August and have just started the job hunt. The advice that was already given about most people want coders with experience is true. My advice would be to take an entry level job in a doctor’s office now while going to school. Attend your local AAPC chapter meetings as soon as you can. Even though you don’t have a certification yet and can’t earn CEU’s you will still learn valuable information and can start networking. Once I got into it, I found it overwhelming at first and then it clicked and I love it! Study your guidelines and know them inside and out. I also did the bubble and highlighting technique in my book and that helped a lot. Also, if you are on Facebook they have a great AAPC group. If you have any questions I would be happy to help.

I'm in school right now getting my certificate, I find the medical terminology fascinating. I hope I won't regret it and I'll be able to find work.

I'm doing the online course through AAPC, and will start next month. Finding a job is always the hard part, but as many have said on the AAPC forum, get started by getting in the door. lovebuzz below says that, take an entry level position and go from there.

I'm not but my mom is and has worked for the same company for 30 + years. She works from home and wouldn't have it any other way.

I'm hoping to get to the point where I can work from home, but that won't happen for a number of years.

Once you pass the CPC test you will then have an CPC-A next to your name until you have two years of on the job experience. I passed my test in August and have just started the job hunt. The advice that was already given about most people want coders with experience is true. My advice would be to take an entry level job in a doctor’s office now while going to school. Attend your local AAPC chapter meetings as soon as you can. Even though you don’t have a certification yet and can’t earn CEU’s you will still learn valuable information and can start networking. Once I got into it, I found it overwhelming at first and then it clicked and I love it! Study your guidelines and know them inside and out. I also did the bubble and highlighting technique in my book and that helped a lot. Also, if you are on Facebook they have a great AAPC group. If you have any questions I would be happy to help.

I know about having the "A" next to my name, and I want to get rid of that quickly, but that comes with having a job, and you know the old saying, "You can't get a job without experience, but you can't experience without a job." I've already told my wife that I may need to take a lesser job just to get in the door, and if I do, I'll get a part-time job a couple of days a week just to make up for the loss of salary. I'm hoping that since I'm older, and switching careers, my past 20 + years of work experience, with 12 years of that doing complex legal data entry, will help me get a job, doubtful, I know, but one can hope. I am a bit concerned once I get out in the field and doing actual coding work, but once I get out there I'm sure it'll click for me too. And thanks for the tip on studying the guidelines, that helps. I just received an email saying my books arrived, so I'm planning on getting home tonight, opening them up and glancing through them.

I am
RHIT 2year degree thru an ACCREDITED School. I work HOSPITAL coding from home
15 yrs in.

It's a tough job, period!! That said, a well paying one, at least on the Hospital side.
Hopefully, thru your apprentices, you can gain insight to many areas of a MED Records Dept - and a job!!
Good luck!

I am
RHIT 2year degree thru an ACCREDITED School. I work HOSPITAL coding from home
15 yrs in.

It's a tough job, period!! That said, a well paying one, at least on the Hospital side.
Hopefully, thru your apprentices, you can gain insight to many areas of a MED Records Dept - and a job!!
Good luck!

Thanks for responding. I'm sure it's a tough job, but I'm looking forward to the challenge. I'm lucky in that I have a family member who's a coder, so I have someone to go to for questions during my online course. Funny you mentioned med records because I use to work in a records dept. of a law firm, different, I know, but I have experience in records.

Thanks
CCT
I've been a coder for almost 20 years and the last 2-3 years in an analyst/education position for inpatient coders and am dual credentialed through AHIMA. I work from home, but occasionally go into our corporate office for meetings and training (Dallas, TX area). It's stressful at times, but overall I do enjoy my job. We are frequently short staffed (people retiring, quitting, etc.) and it is hard to find qualified and/or experienced coders.

I've been a coder for almost 20 years and the last 2-3 years in an analyst/education position for inpatient coders and am dual credentialed through AHIMA. I work from home, but occasionally go into our corporate office for meetings and training (Dallas, TX area). It's stressful at times, but overall I do enjoy my job. We are frequently short staffed (people retiring, quitting, etc.) and it is hard to find qualified and/or experienced coders.

The above highlighted statement is one reason why I chose to change careers and go this route. This field is short staffed and the Bureau of Labor and Statistics show that this is a growing field. Also, being able to work from home, after getting some experience of course, will be nice. My daughter will be in Kindergarten next year, and having a nearly 2.5 hour one-way commute makes it difficult to get home quickly if something were to happen. Yes, my wife is there if something were to happen, but if I needed to get home quickly it'd be difficult. If I have to continue to commute to Boston after I change careers then so be it, but eventually I'll gain the experience to hopefully be able to work from home.

Another option is being a Code Checker for an insurance company. My neighbor retired from this She went from a hospital setting to an insurance setting because the insurance companies pay even more than hospitals to catch coding errors.

Another option is being a Code Checker for an insurance company. My neighbor retired from this She went from a hospital setting to an insurance setting because the insurance companies pay even more than hospitals to catch coding errors.

Hadn't thought of that. Thanks for the suggestion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!