any new word on Catholic weddings?

19 years....my 15 years pales in comparison... :)

What about having it at the Poly where Mass is?

Wow! I posted this so long ago and people are still responding. Not to worry I have checked up and down and we decided to take the minister there and get it blessed when we get home. That's fine, really. Besides I think the church has a lot more to deal with right now other than to worry about Disney weddings. We are going to have it at the Wedding Pavillion with a reception, outside at the Grand Floridian.

Thanks for everyone's help!

September 23, 2003 for now!

What about having it at the Poly where Mass is?

It doesn't matter where on Disney property. Catholic priests are not permitted to participate in weddings on Disney property, per the Bishop of Orlando, and out-of-town priests require the permission of the Bishop. He has stated that such permission won't be granted.

Windmere....The problem isn't with God...LOL - the problem comes along when you are lucky enough to be blessed with children and it comes time to baptize them. Some parishes are absolute sticklers - you are NOT married unless you were married Catholic. I'm not saying they will or won't baptize your kids, but you may encounter a hassle on that topic. It varies greatly from diocese to diocese and even from church to church.

And I guess I'll throw in my opinion while I'm here - The postition of the Church on this is one of the few Catholic 'rules' I find it difficult to argue with. I think the sacrament of marriage really should be administered in Church. I think too many Catholic couples are more worried about the party, and less about the religious aspect of the marriage ceremony. It is a permanent binding of your lives before God and I think it should be the most important aspect of the entire day. That's my $.02 - no offense anyone!

I guess I'll throw my 2¢ back in...

When DW and I were getting married, she was Freewill Baptist (she has since converted to Catholicism). She really didn't care where the wedding was held, but her parents were Freewill Baptist and she didn't want to "frighten" them off by having the wedding in a Catholic church.

We compromised and had the wedding in a local Baptist (not Freewill Baptist) church, but the officiator was a Catholic priest. After we went to the class and the meetings with him, he didn't have any problem performing the ceremony in the Baptist church.

My feeling is that it should be left up to the individual priest as to where they will perform the ceremony. If the Church is willing to give power to it's priests to be able to perform the ceremony, I think they should be also given the power to approve the venue. If the priest feels that the couple is ready for marriage within the Catholic Church, why argue over the venue?

Anyway, let the mudslinging begin! :)

- Jim

MD sounds like the biggest religous nut and snob that I have ever heard.

Why the hell am I marrying her?

It's a tough decision, and while I have agonized for a long time over it, the Catholic church has made it easy for me (although it doesn't make it any less painful for me). My fiance is divorced with a daughter, so we cannot get married in a Catholic church. I cannot ask him to have an anullment for my religious beliefs, especially now where he is very opinionated about the hypocrisy that is coming to light with many Catholic Priests. He is Episcopalian (sp?) but not practicing. We are currently investigating a Disney Wedding, since we have vacationed there 14 times in the last twelve years. No matter where we get married God will be invited. Whether or not He decides to show is up to Him.

Originally posted by anniet
No matter where we get married God will be invited. Whether or not He decides to show is up to Him.
Don't worry, he'll be there. :sunny:

Good luck!

Psiklops -- I think the venue of a WDW marriage is the problem. I think the setting (just like a Las Vegas setting) is more prone to emphasize the day and the reception aspects over the religious sacrament. Of course, a case-by-case basis would find couples who don't fit this mold but the decision has been made not to allow the weddings. I've seen some weddings at WDW that were quite beautiful and I've seen others that have very much a circus aspect about them.

Your reasons for getting married in the Baptist church were sound. Almost always, a joint Jewish-Catholic wedding ceremony can't be performed in the church since the rabbi will refuse to participate. Often times a priest can be found who will participate in this type of wedding in a non-church setting. In most cases, there is some flexibility but in the case of WDW and Las Vegas actual rules have been established.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter