Any non-virtual marathons in late 2020/early 2021?

happ

DIS Veteran
I was planning to run my first full at Disney in Jan. Since that's out, does anyone know of marathons that seem likely to go forward? I'm thinking smaller races would be a better bet, but those are more difficult to find online. Thanks!

My local running club marathon is still on for November 1st - southwestern PA. I have heard there are only 12 marathon slots left but lots of half slots. Each race is capped at 150 participants.

Still trying to decide if I should do the half. I'm not really training for it, but I wouldn't race anyway.

Richmond, Va is still running. The race is USATF certified, capped at 3000 runners and the course will be open for 16 days Nov 7 - 22. You can get more information at richmondmarathon.org

Richmond, Va is still running. The race is USATF certified, capped at 3000 runners and the course will be open for 16 days Nov 7 - 22. You can get more information at richmondmarathon.org

To be clear, the Richmond Marathon isn't running the normal event. It is not running on the same course as previous years. I think it's pretty cool that they've set up an alternate course that you can physically run on with mile markers and water stops, but it's definitely not going to be the same experience as a "real" race.

I had been planning on the Richmond Marathon as a goal race but held off on registering, and now I'm glad I did. Don't want to do a virtual, and I have no desire to drive 2.5 hours to run a marathon by myself. If you're local, then their course setup might be something nice to do.

If you want a certified course, with a timing mat, gps tracking, and results posted online - checkout runoyo.com. They have a course set up in Salt Lake and Portland. Track Shack said it should work as a POT race.
I recently ran SLC. Not quite the same as a real race - no aid stations (although real restrooms and water fountains along the course) and no adrenaline from fellow racers/atmosphere. But it was a good race and well done for what it is. They do sometimes do ‘boost days’ where they will try and get more people to run on a single day, and they will put up aid stations.

Rehoboth (Del) Marathon on 12/5 is still scheduled to happen. They’ve reached their allowed number, but there is a waitlist you can sign up to be on if people drop out or they can increase their numbers.

Space Coast in November. Central Florida Legends in November (they have already posted protocols of 6 start waves, no more than 25 people per wave). Charleston, SC in January.

Space Coast in November. Central Florida Legends in November (they have already posted protocols of 6 start waves, no more than 25 people per wave). Charleston, SC in January.
This is key. As you are searching for races that are not canceled or gone virtual, look for races that have posted Covid protocols. That is a key indication that they are planning to move forward. If the race just hasn't canceled yet, it most likely means they are hoping for a "Hail Mary" and are only waiting in case some miracle happens and the pandemic ends between now and race day.

I did see a post about Louisiana Marathon (in Baton Rouge). I’m not sure how large a race it is, so I’m not sure if it will really happen or not.

I ran this back in January and it was excellent. The marathon had ~900 finishers and the half ~2,000. The course was flat and we had really good weather. The post-race food was a nice bonus. They had a number of booths from local restaurants/providers and you could get LARGE "samples" from these booths with little tear strips from your bib. I had no problem filling up and I don't think I used all of mine. The food was primarily cajun and it was fantastic.

I ran this back in January and it was excellent. The marathon had ~900 finishers and the half ~2,000. The course was flat and we had really good weather. The post-race food was a nice bonus. They had a number of booths from local restaurants/providers and you could get LARGE "samples" from these booths with little tear strips from your bib. I had no problem filling up and I don't think I used all of mine. The food was primarily cajun and it was fantastic.
Good to hear! I will have to keep it on my radar to run. I’m not sure it will be in 2021, but maybe??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!