Any Nurses out here that changed careers?

2China2009

Mouseketeer
I am really tired of being a nurse after 25 years. I want out, but what else could I do that I would make $50,000-60,000 a year. I have at least 20 years to go and I am tired and want something much more rewarding.

I am really tired of being a nurse after 25 years. I want out, but what else could I do that I would make $50,000-60,000 a year. I have at least 20 years to go and I am tired and want something much more rewarding.
It's funny, there was just a thread like this asking if anyone had quit teaching & what they did afterwards...I'd direct you to that thread & suggest you maybe switch careers with that OP (she could be the nurse & you could become a teacher), but obviously that isn't realistic as teachers don't make that much money when they start out. And if being a nurse burned you out...well, I can't in good conscience recommend classroom teaching.

I hope you find a new career you like. My mother was a nurse, too.

Have you thought of staying in Nursing, but in a different role, such as Case Management, Quality or Education?

I've known some nurses that left to do pharma sales or they go around and demo devices. Also have a nurse friend that travels around and helps train nurses when a hospital gets a new electronic medical record system. You could be a teacher for a school that trains home health aides, do CPR training, etc..

I would say maybe try a different specialty, but it is much harder to switch specialties these days.

If you are stressed out from hospital nursing, you may give home health or something like that a try.

DH has a colleague who went from Nursing to real estate.

If you have been a bedside nurse for 25 years, may I suggest looking into another avenue of nursing? Case management, quality, utilization review, clinical informatics. There’s a lot coming down the pike with documentation and quality being tied to reimbursement so that’s an up and coming field I believe.

I left the bedside after 30 years and went into clinical informatics.

Later in life nurse here. Even after a few years at the bedside, I'm getting ready to move on to something else. I'm not sure it's the beside that getting to me or just the organization I work for. Nursing has a lot of options which is why I chose it. Have you considered that or just looking for a non-healthcare thing?

It's funny, there was just a thread like this asking if anyone had quit teaching & what they did afterwards...I'd direct you to that thread & suggest you maybe switch careers with that OP (she could be the nurse & you could become a teacher), but obviously that isn't realistic as teachers don't make that much money when they start out. And if being a nurse burned you out...well, I can't in good conscience recommend classroom teaching.

I hope you find a new career you like. My mother was a nurse, too.

The teachers in our district start at close to $60,000 not all are poorly paid
Just like nurses , some make more some not so much

OP if u find something let me know
I've been a nurse almost 30 years and i was done long ago
Unfortunately with a child in college , going back to school or a career change making less money is not an option.

I've tried insurance work but the hours were long and the commute sucked
I know from experience, it's not easy to change specialties
Medical sales,and pharmaceuticals are very competitive and most times the companies light to hire youngins right out of school

Funny you made this thread. One of my BFFs was a LEO for 25 years, she retired and became a nurse:banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!