Any one rethinking the sky liner?

I’ll ride it but probably first thing in morning or evening. I’ll go to the bathroom first and bring drinks, snacks and a fully charged phone! However, if it is not efficient it could be a 1-2 time thing and then back to other modes of transportation. If it stops frequently that will effect being both hot (or cold) plus just not efficient.

This will be the key. If it's not unbearably hot and you're not ready to die needing to use a bathroom or wanting to eat, sitting in one of those watching a movie or playing a game won't be the end of the world for people who can keep calm.

Nope! But then my husband was on a plane on the very first day they were allowed to fly after 911. And he's still here by my side!! While I don't want to diminish the experience of being trapped in a gondola for 2-3 hours (I'm sure that wasn't fun), I guess I tend to view things in a greater scope of what is an actually tragedy vs a few hours of inconvenience in a theme park.

We are staying at Pop in November and plan on using it. I will definitely be planning a bathroom stop beforehand just in case!

I am severely claustrophobic, but I don’t think those would bother me, since there are still vents to the outside and I’m not strapped in. Now Mission Space? Nope. Ain’t ever gonna happen...

Im not much on highths.. like i really hate ferris wheels, i was going to do it cause it would be faster. We always choose the ferry cause its so beautiful. The thought of the worst case scenario in that is being in the alligator murky water . I just deal with it think happy thoughts of MK and move on.

I guess I tend to view things in a greater scope of what is an actually tragedy vs a few hours of inconvenience in a theme park.

So i won’t say its a tragedy but I would say three people being transported to the hospital, rescues from ladder trucks, damaged gondolas, panic attacks, and accounts of calls for help via an emergency button that were cut off and not followed up on are more than a “inconvenience”. I won’t be getting on it until I know they have a real evacuation plan.

We rode the Skyliner from Caribbean Beach to Epcot on Saturday night and got off around 30 minutes before the accident occurred. We didn't realize it until we went back to Int'l Gateway to ride back to the hotel and were told we had to walk to Boardwalk to get a bus back to CB. We had our 2 year old in a stroller with us, so the additional walking and find-the-bus frustration was more than enough to say never again (or at least not for a VERY long time).

The ride was lovely and our toddler loved it. However, the reality that it could have been us stuck for 3 hours with an upset toddler had we been 30 minutes later in getting on the Skyliner is a little too close for comfort.

We rode the Skyliner from Caribbean Beach to Epcot on Saturday night and got off around 30 minutes before the accident occurred. We didn't realize it until we went back to Int'l Gateway to ride back to the hotel and were told we had to walk to Boardwalk to get a bus back to CB. We had our 2 year old in a stroller with us, so the additional walking and find-the-bus frustration was more than enough to say never again (or at least not for a VERY long time).

The ride was lovely and our toddler loved it. However, the reality that it could have been us stuck for 3 hours with an upset toddler had we been 30 minutes later in getting on the Skyliner is a little too close for comfort.
Would you ride it again?

Would you ride it again?
As per my original post, the frustration surrounding the entire scenario was enough to not ride it again, or at least after a long period of no extended delays. I live locally and had an ADR at CB specifically with the intention of riding the Skyliner after dinner. Having to trek the additional distance to Boardwalk, find the special CB buses, take a tired toddler out of her stroller, then navigate a sea of people while trying to get off the bus, was not part of my plans, especially since I wasn't staying on property. I'm not comparing my frustration to those actually stuck in the Skyliners, but it turned our "quick" evening outing into a late night for a toddler and a not-so-pleasant memory. It would have been nice if Disney had a way of informing people throughout the park (without having to walk back to IG) that the Skyliner was down in case that affected their transportation plans or timing, but I'm not sure how that would work.

It would have been nice if Disney had a way of informing people throughout the park (without having to walk back to IG) that the Skyliner was down in case that affected their transportation plans or timing, but I'm not sure how that would work.

This is an interesting point. Perhaps a notification via the app would be useful for this scenario. It would be really frustrating to specifically exit via the IG only to find the skyliner closed.

This is an interesting point. Perhaps a notification via the app would be useful for this scenario. It would be really frustrating to specifically exit via the IG only to find the skyliner closed.
I agree, most peoples frustration come from communication. You should email tgem tgat its a great idea

I am hoping it will be running for our upcoming trip. Things happen, at least no one was seriously hurt. They will fix it and people will forget about it. I think this will make some people asses their own issues with whether or not this is something they will be able to tolerate if it stops for an extended period of time.

I am in the wait and see crowd. I probably won't be back until 2021 so they have time to work then kinks out. I would love to ride it to see from up high but if it has more issues, then I may not

We'd definitely planned to ride it during our upcoming December trip, however, now I won't consider it unless it's been up and running smoothly for at least a few weeks. I would definitely not want to be stuck in a gondola--unless it was at the station and I could just get off--for more than, say, 5 minutes.

Once they open back up again, I am looking forward to riding. In my family, there are no concerns with height anxiety, claustrophobia, health issues and no babies or toddlers or elderly folks. If any of these things came into play, I would think twice about riding. But, as it stands now, I think the experience of riding Skyliner outweighs the concern of possibly being stuck for an extended time period. And, even if you do get stuck, hopefully they’ll give you a Fastpass or two to make up for it. And, if you had to evacuate, at least you would have a good story to tell.

I'm glad no one was hurt during the fender bender but honestly, did anyone really think there wouldn't be issues with a brand new attraction? We're going at Thanksgiving and I'm sure it will up and running for us to take a flight, which we will.

I rode it Friday night and Saturday morning. I will ride it again next time I’m in the area. Whatever the problem was Saturday night, I am confident it will be a learning experience.

One thing I have noticed this whole trip though is Disney’s not particularly good at communicating with their guests. Right down to crowd control at nighttime shows... they have people trying to flag traffic with green or red lights, but not everyone realizes what that means. They’ll have security trying to keep a “walkway” clear at the Hub during a parade, but the second the parade is past there’s a free for all for fireworks spots, with the former “walkway” becoming standing area and the former parade route becoming “walkway” but no one really making it clear in the moment when that transition occurs.
Or the security checks where if you don’t empty your pockets, they tell you you need to, and if you do they tell you to just leave it in your pocket next time.

/rant but anyway my point is they have this fancy MDE app that everyone is trained to download, but it doesn’t really tell you if a Skyliner is open or down, if a boat is parked due to lightning and not coming, or otherwise doesn’t tell you the fastest way to get someplace. First off, they do need to be able to communicate better to guests stuck on Skyliners if for some reason that happens again, but on the secondary side they could do better on communicating what’s going on with it when it is functioning.

I rode it several times last week and loved it. Stoppages while I was on were very brief. Beats the buses any day. I’m definitely planning to use them on my next trip.

Potentially rethinking.

We have a Summer trip planned (as of now, reservations at CBR). My concern is the frequency (and length) of stoppages. We don't go to Disney all that often, so I want to minimize transportation time (waiting/transit). Thankfully I have many months to see how things play out (I'm particularly concerned about the ECVs at Riviera)... Our sole reason for selecting CBR was the Skyliner - if the Skyliner has consistent problems, then I expect we'll cancel CBR (and reserve elsewhere).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!