Any one rethinking the sky liner?

Seriously?
I don't want to derail this thread too much, but, yeah, it bothers me that Disney now accounts for more than a third of all box-office receipts and laid off thousands of hard-working people in the film industry just so it could swallow one of its biggest competitors. That bothers me very much.

It bothers me even more than so many fans of the Disney company (which I am, despite my reservations) seem to care more about Wolverine teaming up with Black Panther in a movie than the larger ramifications of this merger.

Initially I was excited for the system, but I was getting more hesitant after it opened just seeing the number of times they had to stop the line - especially the EPCOT one. That sort of negates the efficiency of the system, and I don't get why they have to stop it so often when they have special areas to load folks that need a stopped vehicle.

Add in the fact that Riviera doesn't have a side loading zone at all, I think it's going to be a nightmare for the EPCOT line when that opens. This incident was a bit of a final straw. I might still decide to try out the system, but it will be when I have no particular plans to worry about and/or they've worked out the kinks.

I think Disney will eventually get this worked out, but I also think the execution on this system wasn't quite where it should have been, and not up to what I expect from Disney. I think they should have had an emergency fan on the gondolas, moving ramps to load with - like on people mover/HM/etc, and I definitely think they should have a side line to load stopped gondolas at Riviera.

The incident so far hasn't changed my mind about riding the Skyliner next time I'm down there. There was always going to be a first incident and Disney got lucky. This happened later in the day when it was cool and there was no incliment weather. All the modeling and planning you can do doesn't compare to your first real- world incident. As long as Disney looks at everything that went right and wrong with their process and adjusts accordingly I don't see any reason why this would keep me from riding these down the road.

I was prepared to ride it but then I learned how often it stops. That’s a deal breaker. If I can ride, keep moving and get there and get off I’d be fine, but as irrational as it might be, I cannot swallow my anxiety and just sit there hanging. And I’d have died to have been stuck for 5 minutes, much less three hours! Big fat NOPE!

No, I was gutted it didn't start up again until after I'd left.
If I got trapped I would be more worried about who my fellow passengers were than falling or being trapped alone or with good company as I was with most obnoxious loud woman on my first flight back from Epcot. She turned out to be a YouTube vlogger who I offended by saying I only watched useful videos about Disney like The Dis and DFB and not the attention seeking money makers. It was after I said this she told me she was a vlogger. It rang a bell and I found her channel pretty quick.... Oops, she was more of a latter vlogger than a former. Me and my Aspergers, yikes.

I don't want to derail this thread too much, but, yeah, it bothers me that Disney now accounts for more than a third of all box-office receipts and laid off thousands of hard-working people in the film industry just so it could swallow one of its biggest competitors. That bothers me very much.

It bothers me even more than so many fans of the Disney company (which I am, despite my reservations) seem to care more about Wolverine teaming up with Black Panther in a movie than the larger ramifications of this merger.
Then don't spend your money on anything to do with Disney.

And yet, here you are on the Dis boards. :confused3

Alton Towers SkyRide - Valley section

Just thought I'd leave this link to a POV of the SkyRide at my "home" park, Alton Towers, for comparison. This is the leg of the journey that goes over the gardens valley (it's extremely beautiful!), and it also stops and starts frequently and bounces quite often - see the video! Yes, it can be unnerving when it stops and starts and bounces at a height if you're a nervous traveller, but this is the nature of the beast. If you don't like it then don't ride cable cars. There is nothing inherently wrong or dangerous with the way this works. Yes, Disney's accident shouldn't have happened (we still don't know where the blame was) and it can be deeply unpleasant to be stuck a long time and have to be evacuated in an awkward and scary way. I guess the point I'm making is that these issues are there but then again so are cable cars all over the world for many decades and they all work the same way.

911 tapes were released
It was kinda interesting, but i was thinking if you have a condition that requires emergency meds why would you not have them with you. My son carries his everywhere in a small fanny bag. I would not blame a business for me not having his meds. I mean i know when i get on a boat, skyliner,monorail there is always a chance i could be on them for awhile or he might need his meds. Why would you sue Disney?
Ahttps://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-bz-disney-gondola-911-tapes-20191018-vfwwmu2vxvc4bftkj5ahwiakmm-story.html

Oh, my. That girl lost all my sympathy with, ' “Get her out of here as fast as you can, people!” the girl says. “I am going to sue Disney for this!” '

And the man who implied his intent to sue, ditto.

Then don't spend your money on anything to do with Disney.
I am still a fan of the Disney theme parks and consider Walt Disney a true artistic genius. My family and I derive incredible pleasure out of Disneyland and Walt Disney World. I can be a fan of something and still take issue with parts of the company that I wish were different. It's not one or the other. Maybe to some, that makes me a hypocrite. I think it just makes me a fan, but not a blind loyalist. I love Disney. I wish parts of it were different. And the issues surrounding the Fox merger are far broader and more systemic than just Disney.

(And I still say the Skyliner situation is a complete embarrassment.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter