Any other Solo 2020 Halfers out there?

BurleyGirl

DIS Veteran
My family will be with me as spectators, but I'm running the half solo. This will be my first half and my first Disney event. I'm a little nervous about the whole unknown of it all--logistics/timing of race morning mostly. I'd love to know how many others there are who are running solo, as well.

I think it’s actually better running solo. You can run at your own pace.. no pressure to feel like you need to keep up with a faster friend or have to slow down for a slower friend. You can run your race and decide for yourself if you want to make a character stop or take pictures.

Also, you tend to be able to sneak up closer to the front of your coral with being solo as you don’t have to worry about losing a friend in the mass.

Last edited:
I run the races solo but keep my eyes peeled for people that I've interacted with during my time at the parks. At my last race weekend in Paris, I was mainly solo traveling and ran all 3 distances but had friends I was meeting up with for some of the trip and who were running the half. During one of my park days I started talking with a pair of ladies while in line for a ride and wished them luck during their race weekend after we went our separate ways. Later that evening I was getting into the corral and went to ask a runner standing in front of me for help pinning on a piece of my costume, the people turned around and it was the same ladies from earlier in the day! We then ended up hanging out together in the corral and I saw them a few more times during the different races and in the parks.

Moral of the story- your never truly fully alone at Disney and you never know when you'll make a connection with someone. Also I really enjoy during out and back parts of races taking the time to smile at the runners on the other side of the path and send them some joy. Sometimes people give me a little nod, sometimes people look away but when they smile back, that's the best and it makes it more fun for me as well!

For the last several years of Marathon Weekend, we've put together a list of all the DIS runners. Their corrals, planned paces, costumes, etc. It helps runners find each other if they want to and at a minimum have a corral buddy. See attached for old example.

The morning before the race we'll have a DIS meet up as well at Marathon Weekend. In the past it's been something like this, but the information has not yet been updated for 2020 until we see specifics.

Screen Shot 2019-10-16 at 8.22.38 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-16 at 8.23.17 AM.png

As for logistics, you can read my 2018 trip report and get a general idea of the flow of the morning.

2018 Dopey Challenge Trip Report, Race Recap, and Coaching Recap

Attachments

• 2018 Marathon Weekend DIS List v2017_12_28 FINAL 2.pdf
    963.1 KB · Views: 2
I'm so encouraged by each one of your replies!!!
DopeyBadger, thanks so much for the link to your report (looking forward to reading it) and for the heads up about the potential Dis meet and the visual aids!!!

DopeyBadger, thanks so much for the link to your report (looking forward to reading it) and for the heads up about the potential Dis meet and the visual aids!!!

No problem. Just know that the "Staging map" is virtually guaranteed to be different in 2020 because of the changes to the course (which are still unknown as well). But I'd venture to guess the finish line area should look similar to Wine and Dine 2019:

Screen Shot 2019-10-16 at 8.41.26 AM.png

Once we know more about what MW 2020 looks like, then I'll create a new map for everyone.

OK, DopeyBadger, I've finished your TR (great info, beautiful family, inspiring all around!)...my first question (I'm sure there will be more)…what did you do with all the extra layers you started out with in the corrals? Do you truly just drop them and leave them behind? If so, yikes! Need to start looking for some super-duper sales on winter clothing!!

OK, DopeyBadger, I've finished your TR (great info, beautiful family, inspiring all around!)...

Thanks!

what did you do with all the extra layers you started out with in the corrals? Do you truly just drop them and leave them behind? If so, yikes! Need to start looking for some super-duper sales on winter clothing!!

runDisney donates the clothes. So in some years there are bins near the corrals in which you can place the clothes to be donated. Other years, the bins were not there and you simply drape the clothes over the metal fences making up the corrals. They'll be donated either way.

Thankfully, my wife works at the local university clothing store and gets lots of samples. So I usually have a bevy of "nicer" clothes that were essentially free to me. In addition, Black Friday is a good time to stock up on cheap options. I believe Kohls and Old Navy typically have some very cheap fleece blankets/PJ sets. Essentially I had an entire suitcase devoted to pre-race clothing that I may or may not come home with. You can also buy cheap mylar blankets on Amazon, or use black trash bags to help cut the wind (just be sure to dispose of each properly in the trash before starting the race as they are slippery to walk on).

Marathon Weekend is definitely a time to pre-plan regardless of whatever the weather forecast says in advance. It could be in the 20s or the 80s. So if you're traveling from a distance, it's best to pack lots of different options for pre-race and during the race.

This was my checklist in 2018 for running stuff when I ran Dopey:

Screen Shot 2019-10-16 at 10.30.47 AM.png

I ran Dopey solo last year and I'll be back for the 5K and 10K solo this year. As others have said, there are plenty of people around. Just strike up a conversation and you'll find most people very friendly!

Also try Walmart for extra layers or your local Goodwill if you have one.

Thanks for the list, DopeyBadger! Again, very helpful!! (And, I loved in your TR where you pointed out that your wife enjoyed meeting all the people who took your time! I think it's admirable and wonderful that you are sooo helpful! I certainly appreciate it!!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!