Any Rumblings about Skyliner Expansion?

It seems to me if you have XXX drivers working driving XX routes enabling buses to be dispatched every 20 minutes for each route when inclement weather hits, those drivers now need to cover XX + Y routes. You can either add Y# of drivers to cover the new routes, or I assume you can just increase your dispatch time by say 10 minutes w/ a net effect of enabling the existing drivers to cover the higher number of routes, resulting in longer waits, 20 minute waits become 30 minutes for those waiting for buses, for example. And presumably you consolidate runs - the bad weather gondola replacement bus stops at Riviera, POP, AOA & the CBR gondola station where you can catch an internal bus to your island. So only two new routes added - one from DHS & one from Epcot.
This won’t be an issue IMO w/ the few resorts currently serviced by the gondola v. the large fleet of buses. If the gondolas service more resorts in the future resulting in fewer buses to pull from, then there could be issues.

Last edited:
So they will pay Mears to have Mears drivers sit around all day for them on site so they can get on the road as soon as there is a lightning strike or wind gusts get to high? This is service you have to get on the road right away, that you may have to run for an hour, all day or even for days with the weather you have in Orlando.
Not that they will, they do. They also pay their own drivers to sit around at home and come in when they need them in the event of a prolonged storm or mass transit breakdown, which we’ve seen happen with the monorail. They’re “on call” and it’s the cost of doing business.... and you and I pay for it in our dues.

Last edited:
Not that they will, they do. They also pay their own drivers to sit around at home and come in when they need them in the event of a prolonged storm or mass transit breakdown, which we’ve seen happen with the monorail. They’re “on call” and it’s the cost of doing business.... and you and I pay for it in our dues.
Had to deal with this when we were staying at VGF, but had a dinner at Contemporary and a lighting storm knocked the monorail off-line (One of the power supplies actually took a lighting strike) and we had to grab a bus over to the Transportation Center and then walk back to VGF, but it added an extra hour of waiting.

Really happy about the VGF bridge, because now you can almost walk completely around the lagoon.

They also re-route busses. For instance, during a busy season, the EPCOT resorts may have individual busses. They can be rerouted to share busses, freeing up a bus for other use if needed. It maybe a slight inconvenience for guests and more crowded busses, but that is also part of the overall plan. Just like when they deploy extra busses for park opening and closing.

Last edited:

They also re-route busses. For instance, during a busy season, the EPCOT resorts may have individual busses. They can be rerouted to share busses, freeing up a bus for other use if needed. It maybe a slight inconvenience for guests and more crowded busses, but thet that is also part of the overall plan. Just like when they deploy extra busses for park opening and closing.

It's quite amazing how the re-routing works. We saw this in action as a part of some extra pixie dust. We had a breakfast reservation at Yatch Club and we needed to get there from All Stars; but unfortunately got wrong directions to go to Epcot and hop on a boat since we didn't have park tickets that day.

Upon arriving at Epcot, we had to ask where the boat was. We had no idea at the time, but the person we asked was the dispatch. After informing us that we're up the creek, he found the next incoming bus; then instructed it to reroute after the drop off to Yatch Club just so we would make our reservation. We got a chance to talk to him and he said they get rerouted all the time. It could be due to demand, traffic, sometimes busses just stack up with loading times. It was all pretty neat to get a peak at the organiztation of it all.

Any talk of adding to the current Skyline route will be based on how the current system performs. There will be at least a 2 year period when down time, maintenance, cost are examined. Also, how does the public accept--will there be push back to being in small space and in the heart of the summer how bad/good is the temperatures in the cabins. All this will be analyzed, along with many other factors I cannot think of at this time. So, I would just temper any anticipation on future Skyliner routes.

They can’t get rid of the busses on the gondola circuit. The gondolas can’t replace the busses unless they expect people to walk in bad weather.
also too many people afraid of heights and refusing to get on. I think they will have to keep the buses around.

I know this is a slightly older thread, but just wanted to mention that our sales guide at Riviera was talking about future plans to extend the skyliner to Animal Kingdom and Disney Springs. I don’t know how reliable that rumor is, considering the source, but thought I’d research a bit and came up with this thread.

I know this is a slightly older thread, but just wanted to mention that our sales guide at Riviera was talking about future plans to extend the skyliner to Animal Kingdom and Disney Springs. I don’t know how reliable that rumor is, considering the source, but thought I’d research a bit and came up with this thread.

Probably as reliable as a monorail expansion...

That being said, the rumor could make sense. It's all about operating costs and the ability of Disney to create a special sauce. Right now, most area hotels offer a shuttle into Disney; not as frequent but they're available. None offer a monorail, nor a skyliner. So if that's what it takes to allow them to continue charging 2-3x the price of other hotels, it depends on what the breakeven is.

A large part of that will also be - how many people does it take to operate a skyliner a day per location? How many does it take to operate the buses a day per bus? With rising wages, what's the breakeven on an expansion project like this? How much does Diesel cost vs potentially being able to offset skyliner operation costs via electric/solar? How long would it be before the current bus fleet can be retired naturally? There's a lot of things to consider and I'm not sure Disney even knows for sure until they see the current one run for a bit.

That being said, the rumor could make sense. It's all about operating costs and the ability of Disney to create a special sauce. Right now, most area hotels offer a shuttle into Disney; not as frequent but they're available. None offer a monorail, nor a skyliner. So if that's what it takes to allow them to continue charging 2-3x the price of other hotels, it depends on what the breakeven is.

A large part of that will also be - how many people does it take to operate a skyliner a day per location? How many does it take to operate the buses a day per bus? With rising wages, what's the breakeven on an expansion project like this? How much does Diesel cost vs potentially being able to offset skyliner operation costs via electric/solar? How long would it be before the current bus fleet can be retired naturally? There's a lot of things to consider and I'm not sure Disney even knows for sure until they see the current one run for a bit.
They are going to need a large bus fleet no matter what because of the weather in Florida. There are just too many days were skyliner will have multiple shut downs because of lightning in the area.

They are going to need a large bus fleet no matter what because of the weather in Florida. There are just too many days were skyliner will have multiple shut downs because of lightning in the area.

Yep this exactly. Bus transportation will always be necessary. Boats and Skyliner do not run when there's lightning, and they have to wait (I believe) 20 minutes AFTER the last strike before they can restart service.

That said I think if they work out the kinks in the Skyliner system now, it's totally possible that we'll see an expansion to AK. I don't expect to see an expansion to Disney Springs, I don't see the viability of running skyliner to DS from the resorts and they won't connect DS to the parks.

As far as the PP who was given info by a DVC guide, I'd chalk that up to salespeople being salespeople and not put a ton of stock in it.

Agreed, but there has to be some savings. I don't see them keeping the same size fleet in addition to laying out the capital for an expanded skyliner system. They have the ability even now to ramp up the number of buses on route, number of drivers, re-route, etc. I expect the same; but I don't see them maintaining the same size fleet and say leave 80% of their fleet idle for just in case of a storm. Those buses would still need maintenance, inspections, etc to ensure they're in operable condition.

Agreed, but there has to be some savings. I don't see them keeping the same size fleet in addition to laying out the capital for an expanded skyliner system. They have the ability even now to ramp up the number of buses on route, number of drivers, re-route, etc. I expect the same; but I don't see them maintaining the same size fleet and say leave 80% of their fleet idle for just in case of a storm. Those buses would still need maintenance, inspections, etc to ensure they're in operable condition.

They don't leave it idle, the buses run constantly....and "just in case" of a storm in Florida is basically three or four times a day during August-October :)

Of course Disney doesn't do anything that won't make them money...but I strongly suspect the money for the Skyliners isn't coming from a cutback in Bus service....it's coming from increased room rates at skyliner resorts.

Would just say the Skyliner expansion rumors have been floating around and there was even someone from Dopplemayer who comment to the effect of more expansions being actively looked at and planned after the system is fully running.

So I would say its more reliable than the monorail which is a subpar process for moving guests.

Will it happen? I don't have a clue but I think the first step is the current system not having long shutdowns every couple weeks.

"just in case" of a storm in Florida
Do we know though if long term they will shutdown the system for storms for sure? This could simply be the rollout period to avoid weather on top of mechanical issues. Or has someone read about weather limits put on the system by the manufacturer?

Would just say the Skyliner expansion rumors have been floating around and there was even someone from Dopplemayer who comment to the effect of more expansions being actively looked at and planned after the system is fully running.

So I would say its more reliable than the monorail which is a subpar process for moving guests.

Will it happen? I don't have a clue but I think the first step is the current system not having long shutdowns every couple weeks.

Do we know though if long term they will shutdown the system for storms for sure? This could simply be the rollout period to avoid weather on top of mechanical issues. Or has someone read about weather limits put on the system by the manufacturer?

AFAIK it is DOT safety practice, not a testing phase.

AFAIK it is DOT safety practice, not a testing phase.

Ya no clue as I know there are systems that can be run even if the wind speed is over 60 mph which I can't see happening at WDW except on rare occasions. Although I am not sure if wind gusts also count or if it needs to be more sustained wind? Also no clue what Disney's system is rated for or anything.

Ya no clue as I know there are systems that can be run even if the wind speed is over 60 mph which I can't see happening at WDW except on rare occasions. Although I am not sure if wind gusts also count or if it needs to be more sustained wind? Also no clue what Disney's system is rated for or anything.

The wind isn't as much of an issue as the lightning. The skyliner posts are very nearly (if not are) the tallest structures where they are located along the route, making the posts and the skyliner cabins prime lightning strike targets.

The wind isn't as much of an issue as the lightning. The skyliner posts are very nearly (if not are) the tallest structures where they are located along the route, making the posts and the skyliner cabins prime lightning strike targets.
If you don’t think wind isn’t an issue, we rode the Skyliner on and it was a little windy and you could feel the gondola swing with the wind. Not a good feeling. These are not open gondolas like most ski areas have. If it was a stronger wind, I would not ride it, not that’s it’s not safe. It just doesn’t feel it. Kind of like when your in a plane and hit a little turbulence.

The problem with an expansion to DS is, what is it going to connect to. I don’t see it going to several resorts to DS, not enough people will ride it. If you make the other end a theme park, everyone will park at DS and take it to the park to avoid paying to park. The current Skyliner goes to 3 large resorts, 1 medium sized resort and goes between 2 parks.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter