Any suggestions to make a 22 yo want to visit WDW?

pepperderr

DIS Veteran
My boys where to WDW at 8yo and 4yo and then again at 12yo and 8yo. We are planning to go again when they are 18yo and 22yo. I went when I was 18yo and I remember enjoying it. My oldest son will be graduating college and my youngest will be graduating high school when we are planning to go again. My youngest is the one that wants to go but my oldest is not really into it. I think he might wish he went if he doesn't go with us. What do you suggest to make it fun there for adults? He is the type that is always more mature than his friends and not really into having fun and being silly. I am certainly not going to make him go if he doesn't want to when it comes time but I would like ideas to make it enjoyable for him if he does go.

Does he Golf? If so, that might fun. Does he enjoy the beach? What about a few beach days, east coast or Clearwater/ St Petersburg Beach after WDW to relax?

My DD is 21, and she loves WDW so much, that she wants to have her destination wedding there one day.

Last summer we went to WDW and stayed at the Polynesian. She and her friend had their own room across the hall, and they could come and go as they pleased. They joined us most of the time. We did a lot of signature dining; took a private fireworks cruise; and rented a cabana one and 1/2 days. They had their young adult time and explored a lot on their own.

In April we went to Disneyland and were out west for family, so she didn't bring a friend. We had a blast at Trader Sam's in the Disneyland Hotel. That is an adult spot not to be missed on either coast.

The Beach Club might be a great place for you to stay. Stormalong Bay is a pool that is really fun for young adults.

I hope it works out well for you and your family.

Thanks, everyone. I asked him today again if he wanted to go. He said he really doesn't care one way or the other so I am guessing it will be a no, when the time comes. We'll see.

I read the thread title to my DH who does NOT enjoy WDW, but goes occasionally for my sake & has led to several solo trips for me. He said 'Tell him Jasmine will be there.'

Thought he might have some insight on what it would take to coax someone to go.

My DS is like that, he's not really into the theme parks any more. Our last family trip to WDW was in 2013. We did Thanksgiving 2018 at Universal Florida (went to WDW 3 days, Universal 3, plus Star Wars virtual reality thing) and he chose not to come. He lives in Seattle area, so it would have been a long flight, plus he was coming home for Christmas about 3 weeks later. I let my kids choose what family trips they want to be in on. (He did come on the family trip to Ireland in 2017)

I can understand a 22-yo young man not being thrilled at a WDW vacation. He's graduating college and ready to face the world and going back to Disney. While some would love this trip, others aren't as into it, or outgrow it. It's hard when the whole family isn't on the same page about a place. My extended family goes through the same thing in the summer about meeting up at Myrtle Beach.

As someone else mentioned, would he enjoy the trip if it were split with another activity like Clearwater for a few days, or going over to Cape Canaveral and then up to Daytona? We typically do these kind of trips instead of a theme park only trip, so that we get to experience the beach and some other activities as well as a little bit of Disney.

BTW- have you asked him directly- what about the trip he isn't thrilled about?

The last time my older brother got invited on a family WDW trip, he responded with a resounding "meh," and my mom's response was that taking him to WDW was too expensive for a "meh." And honestly...if he hadn't really wanted to be there, I think he wouldn't have been much fun to go with.

So my gut feeling is...don't. Just let him sit it out, take the 18yo, and enjoy it as a closer bonding time with your younger child. Find a different trip to do with the 22yo that he'll be more excited about so you can get time with him as well. But I just have the general attitude that I don't want to travel with someone who isn't excited to be there.

Well, one boon may be food, so if he is an eater, maybe plan some special meals. He's 22, so he may want to have a beer or two, so I'd recommend Biergarten. Nowhere pleases "the guys" like Biergarten! It's meat & beer. It's not much, but he amy be into that. I have a feeling that even if he doesn't think so, he'll feel the magic pretty quick if he goes. Just keep him fed and happy! Also, maybe a quick jaunt over to Universal would be good, which has more thrill rides. Maybe a tour too, like the snorkeling at The Seas, , the safari tour, or surfing lessons at Typhoon LAgoon. That stuff all seems like it might be appealing to him.

This is a hard one, but I think he should go to be with his family. Shortly, he'll be going his own way and so will your other son.

Let him have some input about the plans. I think doing some special tours might be a good idea.

We just had a family trip in May. My sons are 25 and 23, my daughter is 16. My oldest hadn’t been to WDW for 8 years because we weren’t who he wanted to “hang” with us during that time. When I started to plan our most recent trip he asked if he can come. I said of course...He was the most excited for this trip except for me lol! He couldn’t get enough! He wanted to do everything! He dragged his siblings to MK for two of the extra magic hour evenings as well! He’s a foodie so of course that was his other source of fun! I hope once your son gets there he feels the excitement and fun to be had! BTW my oldest asked when we returned home when we were going back... I said well next summer and he said “I’m in!”

I don't think there is anything you can do to make him want to go. We all know there are many things for a 22 year old to do. But a 22 year old who doesn't want to go is unlikely to enjoy those things. He's coming into his own now. I can relate; it was about 22 that I wanted to separate from my family vacations. I suspect that is normal and actually important for his growth. I know you are concerned he will wish he had gone after the fact. That is likely to be the case. So the next time we will want to go and he will really enjoy it. And you will enjoy him and the trip more because you won't be trying to make him happy - he will be happy.

We have quite the opposite problem. Three boys aged 35, 28 and 27, all raised by Disney loving parents with multiple family trips to the World over the years. My DH gifted me with a surprise trip for Xmas 2018, we are going this coming December 2019. When we told our kids about it, the response was....you're not going without us are you? Errr….

So, long story short, they have paid for their own reservation and will be accompanying their parents yet again! And we couldn't be happier. But I do agree with allowing him to have a hand in the itinerary making, that makes a difference regardless of a childs age. But if he truly doesn't wish to go, I wouldn't pressure him.

At 22 you might just have to cave and pitch good night time things and bars. Assume your 22 year old drinks and you know that and it's acceptable:

- Trader Sam's Tiki Bar
- Abracadabar at Boardwalk
- Scotch flight at Rose and Crown pub
- Margarita bar in Mexico
- Baseline tap house in HS

Jellyrolls is a fun option at night for dueling pianos, and then Disney springs generally can be fun at time.

Our older son (and to an extent our younger son) has never really been into Disney like the rest of us. Our daughter is just as crazy about as we are. I would not force my to go at this point. He will be 21 when he comes back from deployment and we plan to meet him in Vegas instead. lol Then do a week at DW with our daughter and her twins. Some people just aren't into Disney and I don't think, like anything else, we can change that. Now, with that said, we have always loved going to Disney World and Disneyland while our kids were growing up, but it is SOOOOOO much fun without them! It's a whole other animal. I guess you could ask him to go and if he does and isn't enjoying it that may effect your Disney "spirit". Maybe just ask him, there may be an alternative he would rather do.

My boys where to WDW at 8yo and 4yo and then again at 12yo and 8yo. We are planning to go again when they are 18yo and 22yo. I went when I was 18yo and I remember enjoying it. My oldest son will be graduating college and my youngest will be graduating high school when we are planning to go again. My youngest is the one that wants to go but my oldest is not really into it. I think he might wish he went if he doesn't go with us. What do you suggest to make it fun there for adults? He is the type that is always more mature than his friends and not really into having fun and being silly. I am certainly not going to make him go if he doesn't want to when it comes time but I would like ideas to make it enjoyable for him if he does go.
If he likes to party... at the risk of offending some readers, there is such a thing as Drinking around the world at EPCOT World Showcase. Disney Springs also has the Bourbon Trail.

Okay, this is coming from a 21 year old Disney Daughter (me) who loses her mind over this park, but here are some suggestions!

• Drinking around the world! Hey, if he's 22 and you guys won't be driving at all, it's a good way to waste a day!
  • Try to focus less on the Magic Kingdom and more on Epcot or even Disney Springs.
  • Don't force him to do family activities, give him some space. He probably thinks it's always kiddie stuff, just make it clear you don't expect him to do all the stuff with you and the younger brother all the time.
  • I know it's pretty expensive, but you may want to seriously consider the Park Hopper; that way, when he wants to hang out with you in the same park, he can, but if he wants to go off and do his own thing, he can.
  • Again, if you can afford it, try to book something that isn't a value resort. It can be a cool Air B&B, or if you want to stay on property, try something like Yacht and Beach Club, or even Coronado Springs.
I think the best thing is to take the "Michael Eisner Approach" to this, if you'll allow; try to make it appeal to him, but don't go full Eisner and loop around to it being silly. Let him decide what to do, and let him take the reigns of the planning.

Buuuuuut this is all coming from a girl who's still scared to do her mobile ordering without her mom helping her and cries when she sees Mickey Mouse so what the heck do I know!

Best of luck!

Sometimes there are outside forces causing a young adult to not want to attend family functions... Offer to bring his significant other too, if he has one. I was married by 22 (and still am, 28 years later, to the same patient woman), but I know when I was younger than that oftentimes, when I didn't want to be with my family, it was because I didn't want to be away from my perceived One True Love.

i'm 22 and about to take my third solo trip in november! i wish my parents wanted to take me haha! as others have said, focus on the nightlife, like disney springs, trader sams, etc. get him pumped for flight of passage (best ride in the parks) explore epcot, and if you can - go during a festival. everyone loves eating and drinking their way around the different food booths! disney isn't just princesses and fairytales.

whatever his interests are, there's gonna be something for him - i always joke that you don't need to go anywhere else for vacation, because disney world literally has it all! he can spend the day golfing if he's into that, or lounging by the pool (pick a resort with a nice pool and bar - poly, beach club, coronado...) i mean it is a bit shocking to me as a 22 year old that he wouldn't want to go to disney (LOL) but there's gonna be something for him!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!