Any tips for 10/18/19 2-day San Diego Halloween cruise?

GoldeneyezCA

Mouseketeer
Hello, DH, DD's (6 and 10), and our friends with a 9 yo are planning our first Disney cruise out of San Diego next October. DH and I have cruised only once before, on an Azamara Journey 7-night Mediterranean itinerary in 2014, and we were tremendously spoiled by that cruise. I've been reading the tips and tricks on the Dis and looking at stateroom reviews, but would appreciate any other advice for this trip, since it's such a short cruise.

We probably won't get off the ship in Ensenada. This is our test cruise, with plan for an Eastern or Western Caribbean, or Alaska, in the future.

Stateroom - We want a verandah, and DH and DD10 both get some motion-sickness, so I'm looking at a 5A on deck 7, mid-ship, to avoid noise and not be too high. Is there any real reason to book Concierge level for a 2-night cruise? I doubt we'd be in the room much.

Special experiences - We are DL Annual Passholders and have seen DCA's Frozen show many times, so I'm more interested in Tiana's Place and any other unique experiences. Character meetings aren't necessary- we go to DLR at least 30 times per year. Are there any particular experiences I need to try to book in advance?

Thank you!

The Frozen show on the Wonder is very different from the one in DCA. (And better in my opinion)

You're only on for 2 nights, so only one day to really do anything, so you don't have a lot of time to fill with planned events. If your kids really want to see princesses or Frozen characters I would try to get meet and greet tickets (they are free). Otherwise, just try to relax and enjoy the ship.

Well, if you are asking honestly, I would say to save your money and book a longer cruise! Everything I have ever read about someone "trying it out" on a 3 or 4 night cruise says it wasn't nearly long enough. You are huge Disney fans, there isn't anything you aren't going to like on a Disney cruise. If money is no option for your family and your personal finances allow it, then go for it, but my vote would be to save your funds and book something much longer. A 2-night cruise is really a day and half. That is thousands of dollars for a day and a half. It will be over before you ever get started! That is my tip.

I love the Wonder! Our first ship and we have been blessed to sail on her two times. Have a great time!

I would definitely try for a longer cruise if you are able. If not, just try to relax and enjoy your time on the ship. Walk around, go to the evening shows. You'll find plenty to do in the Navigator, the ships "newsletter".

Thank you, all. I hear you, and trust me, I want a longer cruise, also - at least the 4-night to Cabo, right?

But in this case, the DH's from both families are only agreeing to this particular cruise, since it's driving distance from home in OC, and the kids are in school (and don't have a fall break). I want to do a Caribbean Disney cruise, but my DH would rather take the kids to Asia or Europe for that price, once you include airfare for 4 to Orlando (and hotel, and tix to Animal Kingdom and Universal Orlando/IOA for WWOHP, etc...LOL). So, this is the short-term compromise, and it definitely won't be our only vacation next year. :)

Don't blink or you'll miss it! LOL! The very first Disney cruise I took was a 2 night cruise on the Wonder and I've taken two other 2 night cruises on the Wonder since. They are great for a quick weekend getaway with my husband. It goes very very fast, but it's amazing how much you can pack in. I think as long as you go in with the expectation that this is just a "taster" for Disney cruises, you won't be disappointed. We have always stayed on the ship during Ensenada, it just doesn't hold any interest for us, but we have noticed that there are usually fewer scheduled activities while the ship is docked, still plenty to do to keep busy though. I know you said members of your family have motion sickness issues, but I don't think the veranda is even going to help that much in the short amount of time. It seems to take most people about a day to gain their "sealegs" and by then, it's already time to get off the ship. Honestly, I don't even think a veranda is that important , especially on a 2 night cruise since you will have so little time in the room to even enjoy it. IMO, save the money you would spend on an upgraded room and use it to book a placeholder for a longer cruise. Just remember to get the reservation desk early.

Last edited:

DH and I will be on the same cruise with you! I couldn't find anything (Fish Extender) on this sailing on the DIS web site nor FB. Took me a while to decided to go on a 2 nights, everything will be going so fast. Enjoy it, will be fun!!!! 2 nights or 7 nights...will be a good sailing!

We're on the 4-night right before your cruise. They are Halloween on the High Seas cruises, so there will be PLENTY of fun and frolic to be had. Do a little research on HOTHS and I think you'll see that you don't really need to plan much else. A show? A movie during the day? Pool. Kids' clubs. That's more than 2 days can hold! I hope you have a great cruise. I'll wave to you as I disembark! :wave:

I enjoyed the cruise (back in 2015 or 2016), it was nice. I don't actually think we got to Mexico though, we just traveled to international waters and then came back.

Remember you can’t do everything on a 2 night cruise. Although it is super short, Im sure you’ll have the time of your lives. Just relax and enjoy.

We live in SoCal too and have gone on a couple of 2 night cruises in the Wonder. It’s the perfect weekend getaway. You spend pretty much the same amount of $ if you go to Vegas but of course I’ll choose the cruise in a heartbeat!

Don’t forget to book a placeholder as I’m sure you’ll be back on a Disney ship pretty soon. A warning though— cruising with Disney is pretty addicting. Welcome to the club!

party:

Thank you! It's getting closer now. And I'm thrilled that I don't have to worry about buying tickets for the Ooogie Boogie Halloween party, since we have this planned, instead!

I will be on the same cruise. I just did the one in April and have done a couple before. Yes, it is short and goes very quickly, but it's great. It's not too different than a quick weekend away anywhere. We love it. We are planning on doing it once or twice per year depending on how much they offer it.

We probably won't get off the ship in Ensenada.
We have been off the ship there once and there's no reason to go back. Since you live in southern California like us, you can pretty much get anything locally that you can get down there. I did love the Blow Hole there, but it's a really long bus ride.

We are using the port day for our Palo brunch and maybe even a spa treatment. Since this cruise is Halloween themed, we may just want to leave some time open for Halloween stuff. We are 2 adults - so maybe not. Last time I was on the Halloween themed cruise, we didn't do trick or treating, but we did go to the Nightmare before Christmas showing.

Stateroom - We want a verandah, and DH and DD10 both get some motion-sickness, so I'm looking at a 5A on deck 7, mid-ship, to avoid noise and not be too high. Is there any real reason to book Concierge level for a 2-night cruise?
My last cruise I had a midship verandah on deck 6. It was very quiet and very smooth.

I would not book Concierge for a 2 night cruise. The only benefit I could see is the larger rooms if you wanted a one or two bedroom. The Outlook Cafe has been made to Concierge only. So, if you want your own indoor area that sits at the top of the ship, you could book concierge for that. It's a short cruise. You'll probably only be in your room when you are sleeping or getting ready to go do something else.
I'm more interested in Tiana's Place
You'll only have 2 of the MDRs for dinner. We didn't have Tiana's in our rotation. We did have our last day breakfast there and they did have live Jazz music for that, but we didn't have the full experience that you'd get from having dinner there. If that is important to you, make sure you check your dining rotation (it's on your room card) when you board. If you don't have a dinner at Tiana's, go to the dining changes station right after you board and ask to have yours changed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter