Any tips for the San Diego zoo? And maybe a lunch or dinner spot?

mtemm

<font color=teal>Doubly blessed<br><font color=dar
It’s been decades since I have been to the San Diego zoo! Any tips? No kids. Also any good place for lunch or dinner?

Are you Looking for lunch and dinner at the zoo, or surrounding area? Parking is free at the Zoo and you are in downtown so lots of options. Are you planning to stay at the zoo all day or do other exploring? Maybe grab lunch at the zoo and plan a nice dinner that evening.

Cocina35 is a great Mexican place not far from the zoo, and my family is very partial to Puesto at the Headquarters (get the Filet taco, seriously its heaven.) Its a slightly longer drive (15 min) but you are then right near the water and could explore Seaport Village (not sure what cuisine you enjoy or are looking for, but you can’t beat Mexican in San Diego.) Kingfisher is a really unique new restaurant (French Vietnamese - need reservations) for a nice dinner and funky ambiance.

Since you are 2 adults I‘d recommend taking time to walk around Balboa Park where the zoo is located. It is seriously such a beautiful spot in San Diego with some lovely architecture. You don’t need to go into all the museums but just the grounds are lovely and there are several gardens. I am particular to the Japanese Garden as well as it reminds me of Epcot, lol. It does have a fee to enter.

Thank you! We are open to whatever and appreciate any suggestions

My suggestion is to get there early. We were there about 15 minutes before they opened and it was gloriously uncrowded for the first hour or so. I think there was a special opening ceremony with birds, similar to the one at AK. It was fun!

Oooh very cool!

When I went in June, I did the early cheetah experience. It was so fun, got us into the park early, and included a tour of most of the grounds which was super helpful for a first timer like me.

Following along. We are headed to San Diego in April and looking for any and all recommendations! I wrote down all of the restaurant recommendations above!

Is the zoo a full day experience if you like zoos? Is it worth doing both the zoo and the Safari? (on different days obviously)

Following along. We are headed to San Diego in April and looking for any and all recommendations! I wrote down all of the restaurant recommendations above!

Is the zoo a full day experience if you like zoos? Is it worth doing both the zoo and the Safari? (on different days obviously)
A day at the zoo and a day at Safari park is one of our favorite things to do when we travel to SD. We consider the Zoo to be a 1/2-full day, depending when you arrive and what you want to see. But I could easily spend more than a day at the Safari Park (just my personal love of that park)! If you opt for the Safari Park, be sure to get a lunch reservation at The Watering Hole Overlook - the food is good but the view is priceless.

The zoo is definitely a full day experience, especially if you like zoos. It’s also located in Balboa Park which is in and of itself a destination that could fill days, should you tire of the zoo for some reason.

While I think both the zoo and Safari park are both worth doing, and the Safari park truly unique, to really experience the Safari park in all its glory (ie by taking a Safari) is an additional expense ($89pp) and while an amazing experience It really comes down to what you value on your vacation and what else you are doing.

Another thing many do not consider is the two are in completely different parts of San Diego. The Safari Park is inland and quite out of the way. We live on the coast and it took us over 40 minutes and quite a windy route to get there this afternoon. There also isn’t much else to do in the area so you’d be spending a lot of time just getting there, whereas the zoo is in San Diego proper and there is *so* much more to do.

All that said, if you are big zoo people it might be just the thing you’d enjoy (they also have a Safari where you stay the night at the zoo!?!) I’d suggest doing some more research on your own to determine whether it would be worth it for you. La jolla mom (blogger) has some good guides/overview and she has some food recommendations for the zoo as well! Enjoy your trip whatever you decide!

Enjoy your trip whatever you decide
Thanks for all of that!!! I am looking at La Jolla Mom now! I have thought all of the things you just said. I was thinking just 1 of the zoos but they both sound great and I don't think we will be back to San Diego, so it is kind of now or never.

But I am also worried about choosing "fun" things for my girls. They are 12 and 14 right now and rapidly becoming "those" typical teens... so 2 zoo days might be too much. But then again, driving to see the ocean might be boring as well.

But I am also worried about choosing "fun" things for my girls. They are 12 and 14 right now and rapidly becoming "those" typical teens... so 2 zoo days might be too much. But then again, driving to see the ocean might be boring as well.
Oh I absolutely understand - my 13 year old tagged along yesterday but he was way more interested in doing the zipline (have to reserve ahead of time/additional cost) than seeing the animals.

There are a lot of really fun “Instagram-able” cafes, restaurants and even shops in San Diego your daughters might really enjoy, many right on the beach. They can be destinations in and of themselves, especially if you are into food. Also beautiful classics like the hotel del Coronado and seaport village. I met a friend at the hotel del this week and we easily spent several hours over lunch and walking the grounds. If they are the outdoorsy sort look into stand up paddle board or sea cave kayak tour in La jolla. San Diego is very easy to get around depending on what you are used to.

A day at the zoo and a day at Safari park is one of our favorite things to do when we travel to SD. We consider the Zoo to be a 1/2-full day, depending when you arrive and what you want to see. But I could easily spend more than a day at the Safari Park (just my personal love of that park)! If you opt for the Safari Park, be sure to get a lunch reservation at The Watering Hole Overlook - the food is good but the view is priceless.

We are traveling west for a wedding in July. Doing 3 days at Disneyland, then we head to Rancho Bernardo for the wedding for 5 days. Planning to do one of the Zoo's. We are a family of 8 (four family members in their late 50's) 2 in mid 30's and a 4 year old and 2 year old. If you had to pick one of the 2, which might you pick for this zoo? We are currently leaning safari park because it is actually very close to where we will be staying (staying in escondido) Also we will be there for the 4 years (turning 5's) birthday if that factors into anything. However, we do plan to go into downtown San Diego at some point anyways, to tour the city/balboa park area and gaslight quarters.

We are traveling west for a wedding in July. Doing 3 days at Disneyland, then we head to Rancho Bernardo for the wedding for 5 days. Planning to do one of the Zoo's. We are a family of 8 (four family members in their late 50's) 2 in mid 30's and a 4 year old and 2 year old. If you had to pick one of the 2, which might you pick for this zoo? We are currently leaning safari park because it is actually very close to where we will be staying (staying in escondido) Also we will be there for the 4 years (turning 5's) birthday if that factors into anything. However, we do plan to go into downtown San Diego at some point anyways, to tour the city/balboa park area and gaslight quarters.
Sounds like you'll be near both locations! I can tell you the San Diego Zoo itself has free parking and is a lot of walking. The San Diego Safari Park charges for parking and is A LOT of walking. If your family has done zoos before, the Safari Park is a unique experience - it's so large and so spread out - intentionally, for the sake of the animals co-existing in a more natural environment. From our experience, if you have the opportunity to be in Escondido and are so close to this unique park, I would highly recommend it. But read up online regarding the tram tour (you'll definitely want to take), and also some of the additional tours that are extra money, but can include up close experiences with giraffes, rhinos, elephants, etc. If you read up before you go, you can focus on the things your family will enjoy most. One thing to be aware - the climate in July is likely to mean it will be 10-15 degrees hotter at the Safari Park than it might be by the water in San Diego - not for certain, but the Safari Park is a more desert like area. We've also done that DL/Safari Park trip before and enjoyed it a great deal! It's not a bad drive from DL to Escondido, unless it's rush hour! Have a great trip!

Sounds like you'll be near both locations! I can tell you the San Diego Zoo itself has free parking and is a lot of walking. The San Diego Safari Park charges for parking and is A LOT of walking. If your family has done zoos before, the Safari Park is a unique experience - it's so large and so spread out - intentionally, for the sake of the animals co-existing in a more natural environment. From our experience, if you have the opportunity to be in Escondido and are so close to this unique park, I would highly recommend it. But read up online regarding the tram tour (you'll definitely want to take), and also some of the additional tours that are extra money, but can include up close experiences with giraffes, rhinos, elephants, etc. If you read up before you go, you can focus on the things your family will enjoy most. One thing to be aware - the climate in July is likely to mean it will be 10-15 degrees hotter at the Safari Park than it might be by the water in San Diego - not for certain, but the Safari Park is a more desert like area. We've also done that DL/Safari Park trip before and enjoyed it a great deal! It's not a bad drive from DL to Escondido, unless it's rush hour! Have a great trip!
Thank you so much for all the information, weather differences might impact our decision with the little ones and the grandparents in the group. If it's going to be a scorcher, we may opt for the 10-15 degress less at the main zoo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter