Any tips for the Silhouette Studio on Main Street?

catloaves

Earning My Ears
Hoping to treat my parents to portraits for their wedding anniversary during our upcoming trip. Any tips from those of you who have purchased portraits? Best time to go, whether the frame add-on is worth it, etc. etc.

Thank you in advance!

My niece wanted this for her 2 kids; we went early and waited in line till it opened: I believe around 9 am or so. I stood in line for her at rope drop as did many others. Line grew quickly: it took them 2 kiddo's around 15-20 minutes total. She put them in the shops frames and they are amazing!! Highly recommend. If possible to have 2 adults: 1 to stand in line and the other to keep kids busy with a ride or walking around etc: this helped greatly.

My niece wanted this for her 2 kids; we went early and waited in line till it opened: I believe around 9 am or so. I stood in line for her at rope drop as did many others. Line grew quickly: it took them 2 kiddo's around 15-20 minutes total. She put them in the shops frames and they are amazing!! Highly recommend. If possible to have 2 adults: 1 to stand in line and the other to keep kids busy with a ride or walking around etc: this helped greatly.
Thank you so much! This is so helpful.

I've always wondered, can you provide a profile picture? Or do the subjects have to be there in person?
Does anyone know?

I've always wondered, can you provide a profile picture? Or do the subjects have to be there in person?
Does anyone know?
They can work off photos as long as they're truly straight-on/side/profile photos. I read somewhere that someone brought a photo of a family pet that passed and they accommodated it!

That said, I imagine it'd be annoying if someone showed up solely with a bunch of photos, so I'd consider it only if there were at least a 1-2 people getting silhouettes in person.

Honestly, this was the longest line we waited in during our trip in October 2022. BUT, 100% worth it. I think we got in line at a not so great time (midday) and it was just a long wait. Be sure to check in the app or ask the attendant outside who is managing the line when there will be a break and when they will close. They close much earlier than the rest of the park. When my friend and I went in June of last year, the line was much shorter. Both times we only had pictures and she was totally fine with it. I got my dog in October and my friend got her 3 girls (who were not on the trip). Just make sure you have clear side profile pictures without hair in their face, and all facing the same direction. She was able to do the pictures from our phone just as fast as someone in person it seemed. Also 10/10 recommend the frame! It's so cute and just makes it complete. They will give you two copies and just stick the other one behind the frame. It's one of my favorite souvenirs!

(Attaching the silhouette I got done of my pride and joy Teddy just because he's so dang cute. She called him "royal" looking because he was so straight in the picture I gave her 😂)

Attachments

• IMG_6686.jpg
    IMG_6686.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 68721788628__51C9B846-A14B-420C-9B58-55841D0A9B55.jpg
    68721788628__51C9B846-A14B-420C-9B58-55841D0A9B55.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 10

We did this in '17 and '18 I believe. Didn't wait in line either time. Was going to do one on this last trip but had forgotten. So we tried on our last day and the line had been cut so we missed out. They are great souvenirs, so definitely plan a time early in your trip.

My experience is at the Disney World stands--Main Street, Disney Springs, and France Pavilion.

No, the frames aren't worth it. The silhouettes fit a standard 5x7 frame and you'll find a better and cheaper selection at home. Plus they add unnecessary weight to your luggage or even just carrying through the park. The portraits themselves are 2 pieces of cardstock that must be carried flat. I've never had one damaged placed carefully in a backpack or suitcase.

We never waited through more than 3 other parties in line. The attendant can tell you the best time to return if the line is too long. We sometimes sat on the curb with a snack to pass the time.

The artists are various personalities. Some are very chatty; others are silent. They all appreciated being asked to sign and date their work.

My experience is at the Disney World stands--Main Street, Disney Springs, and France Pavilion.

No, the frames aren't worth it. The silhouettes fit a standard 5x7 frame and you'll find a better and cheaper selection at home. Plus they add unnecessary weight to your luggage or even just carrying through the park. The portraits themselves are 2 pieces of cardstock that must be carried flat. I've never had one damaged placed carefully in a backpack or suitcase.

We never waited through more than 3 other parties in line. The attendant can tell you the best time to return if the line is too long. We sometimes sat on the curb with a snack to pass the time.

The artists are various personalities. Some are very chatty; others are silent. They all appreciated being asked to sign and date their work.
Thanks so much for the insight — super helpful. I do wonder if the WDW frames are the same as at DLR. And I love the callout about the artists... I didn't even think about asking them to sign and date the portraits, but we'd love that as much as they do. Appreciate the tips!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter