Any way to make my son 1 inch taller?

wrldpossibility

DIS Veteran
My 5-year-old wants to go on EE (and all the other 44 inch rides) when we go this December. We have over 4 months, but right now, he's solidly 43 inches tall. I don't think he'll grow a whole inch in that time, but I'm not sure. :confused3 If he doesn't, are there any shoe inserts I can buy for him? I want him in comfortable shoes, so no wacky shoes...just a padded insert maybe. Of course, he may chicken out anyway, and I will not pressure him to ride anything. He's just my daredevil and is very excited. We've never been and probably won't be back for several years at least.

Ok I can understand your 5 year old not understanding the consequences of not fitting on a ride properly, but mom, what's your excuse? Trust Disney to know how big your child needs to be to safely ride a ride. It's not a question of age or maturity, its a question of size. And if he doesn't fit he doesn't fit. Sorry, son, next time you can ride it.

stacy6552 said:
Ok I can understand your 5 year old not understanding the consequences of not fitting on a ride properly, but mom, what's your excuse? Trust Disney to know how big your child needs to be to safely ride a ride. It's not a question of age or maturity, its a question of size. And if he doesn't fit he doesn't fit. Sorry, son, next time you can ride it.

I agree completely! My dd is five and is only 41 inches and wieghs only 38 pounds! She is a petit little girl. I would never risk her safety by taking her on a ride before she reaches the qualifications set by the parks. I know she will be disappointed but I can live with her disappointment but not the results of an injury from putting her on a ride before it is safe. (At the rate she grows it will be a long time before she will be able to ride the bigger rides which is fine by me! LOL!)

I have to agree as well. With all the "accidents" (mainly pre-existing conditions) theyve had lately at the park, the last thing we all want to hear is of another one. Frankly, I dont care if my son meets the height req on most rides. For one thing, hes always been in the 95+% range for his age. If I think theyre dangerous for him at his age he wont be riding them, and I certainly wont be adding something to his shoes to make him taller. You don't add weights to your kids' pockets or shoe inserts to make them meet the reqs for car seats so why do it for rides?

alison

wrldpossibility said:
My 5-year-old wants to go on EE (and all the other 44 inch rides) when we go this December. We have over 4 months, but right now, he's solidly 43 inches tall. I don't think he'll grow a whole inch in that time, but I'm not sure. :confused3 If he doesn't, are there any shoe inserts I can buy for him? I want him in comfortable shoes, so no wacky shoes...just a padded insert maybe. Of course, he may chicken out anyway, and I will not pressure him to ride anything. He's just my daredevil and is very excited. We've never been and probably won't be back for several years at least.

This is a hot topic so be prepared.

I understand how you feel though.

I've been at that point with my girls; where they need one inch to meet a height requirement (without their shoes on). I just hoped for the best with the few months we had left for them to grow and then if they were tall enough with their shoes on great!

I wouldn't push it though with higher shoes or puffing up their hair or anything like that as the CMs have seen it all and most importantly, its not worth the risk to your child.

I did read one tip once though; you are taller in the morning then the afternoon! ;)

Don't let the negative posts get to you though. They mean well. :goodvibes

Hmmm, I don't think the OP really asked for opinions as to whether or not she SHOULD try to find a way for her son to seem taller. I would think that is her business, and not any of ours.

The size requirements at Disney are actually relatively new. My daughter went on Space Mountain when she was 3, and I know there weren't any size or age restrictions then. The current size restrictions might certainly be based on the recommendations of the makers of the rides, especially those involving safety harnesses. But if we were to analyze these scientifically, we'd be forced to acknowledge that a measure of height really wouldn't protect someone IF his particular height was say...all in his legs and the harness was engineered to reach shoulders when in a sitting position.

In this case, it seems that OP's son is just a scant bit shorter than the published height restriction. I realize it's only my opinion, but I think you were rather harsh in your comments to the OP.

And now to the OP: certain shoes have considerably higher platforms than others. Sneakers, crocs, etc. Another is for son to wear a baseball cap, which also gives a little height (tho the CMS might certainly ask son to take off his hat if they decide to measure him. But the easiest way for any of us to gain a few inches is to stand very stretched and tall, lifting from our stomachs and then our necks. I taught this to my daughter at a fairly young age vis a vis her posture and carriage (and not to get on any rides!) and it has now become a lifelong way of her carrying herself. (She was a dancer and model and always was taken for being 3 inches taller than she ever was!!!

OP--there actually is plenty of time for your son to grow--my DS has growth spurts every few months, and I'm amazed at how quickly his pants are suddenly too short!
However, I guess I'm going to give you some advice you weren't really looking for--and that's to be sure you don't set your son up for some disappointment. If it were me, I would tell my DS that there are height requirements for some rides, and he may not meet those requirements. If so, no big deal--he'll ride it the next trip. If you don't prep your son, you may end up with a big nasty dramatic scene should a CM find him to not measure up.
Good luck on the growth! Be sure he takes his vitamins and drinks his milk!:sunny:

You never know, my DD who just turned 6, also just grew an inch in 3 mos! He might make it :)

I'm not going to bash you, but I agree I wouldn't push it if he really can't make it, safety always first. Besides the fact that although he wants to go, some of those rides can be a bit scary. Not knowing anything about it I took my DS on Spiderman at IOA/USF when he was about 5 and he was tall enough. I then spent the entire ride trying to keep him in his seat, it scared him to death, big mistake. We were just there again and he now loves Spiderman - so I say they'll be time for big rides later if he doesn't make it this time.

Height requirements are relatively new? Maybe, but I've been going for years and I don't ever remember them not being in place . . . maybe 'cause I was tall enough! DS is about to turn 10 though and I'm pretty sure they've been around since he was born. He's been going to Disney parks since he was an infant, we lived close to Disneyland. I can't remember not looking at height requirements for him!

Anyway, have fun on your trip!

I clicked on this thread just to see if you got flamed, and yes, poor dear, you did! :guilty:

Do not let it get to you--people on this board can be quick to jump to flaming! Ask me--I've been the object of flaming before! :guilty:

Everyone goes through this dilema....we are still in the midst it of ourselves with a 9-year old and a 6-year old and a September trip on the way!

Here's what you do! First things first--prepare your youngster for disappointment...no matter what trick you try, there are some CMs that will make you take off shoes, hats, etc. Don't know why--but they just do. I'd go to www.allears.net, and navigate to the height requirement page, and then, call your child in to you.

Go through the list with him, and show him all the neat rides he CAN ride! Then, you can also show him the rides he cannot ride. BUT....always remind him that he will be able to go through the ride que with you and Dad (and other siblings), so he will be able to experience all of the "story" leading up to the ride.

Each ride provides parent swaps, and it's at that point that you will be able to let your son stand with each of you while the other parent rides (if you so desire). That way, he doesn't feel so left out of the loop for that particular ride, and we have found that it gives that child a taste of the ride and an anticipation for the next trip.

My 6-year old used to ask us to measure him EVERY SINGLE DAY....he was trying hard to get to 48" to ride Rock 'n Roller Coaster. Well...he just made it, and all that anticipation was built up from five previous years of trips to MGM and The World.

Second thing that people do ALL THE TIME at WDW is put some higher-soled shoes on your kid. A lot of tennis shoes are higher-soled than something like a pair of flip flops. So, make sure he has on higher-soled shoes before he attempts a ride with a higher height requirement.

When you are talking about only an 1", it's not that big of a deal. Yes, Disney has height requirements for obvious safety reasons, but if you can make the ht. requirement by simply changing shoes, then it's a miniscule difference at best anyway!

I've never heard the hat trick, but of course, it never hurts to try. I say, show him the AllEars ht. requirement page now, ahead of time, and talk it over with him. Explain to him that he can try and wear his sneakers to pump him up a bit, but that it might not work, and then, explain to him that he will still be able to go "in" the ride with the rest of the family.

We underestimate kids. Explain it honestly to him, and I think you may be surprised at his reaction! Good luck! (And remember to keep that flame-retardant suit close by!) :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

kidsister said:
The size requirements at Disney are actually relatively new. My daughter went on Space Mountain when she was 3, and I know there weren't any size or age restrictions then. The current size restrictions might certainly be based on the recommendations of the makers of the rides, especially those involving safety harnesses. But if we were to analyze these scientifically, we'd be forced to acknowledge that a measure of height really wouldn't protect someone IF his particular height was say...all in his legs and the harness was engineered to reach shoulders when in a sitting position.
I have an Unofficial Guide to WDW from 1992. It says the height requirement for Space Mountain was 3 feet 6 inches (so, 42 inches, 2 inches shorter than now).
If the current height is based on the recommendations of the manufacturer, they have to go with that height.
And now to the OP: certain shoes have considerably higher platforms than others. Sneakers, crocs, etc. Another is for son to wear a baseball cap, which also gives a little height (tho the CMS might certainly ask son to take off his hat if they decide to measure him.
People have posted that their children were asked to remove shoes that looked like they had particularly high soles. People have also posted that the CMs have had children remove hats and have pushed down on 'big hair'.
But the easiest way for any of us to gain a few inches is to stand very stretched and tall, lifting from our stomachs and then our necks.
That is good advice.
DisneyDotty said:
However, I guess I'm going to give you some advice you weren't really looking for--and that's to be sure you don't set your son up for some disappointment. If it were me, I would tell my DS that there are height requirements for some rides, and he may not meet those requirements. If so, no big deal--he'll ride it the next trip. If you don't prep your son, you may end up with a big nasty dramatic scene should a CM find him to not measure up.
Good luck on the growth! Be sure he takes his vitamins and drinks his milk!:sunny:
And that's very good advice.

The size requirements at Disney are actually relatively new. My daughter went on Space Mountain when she was 3, and I know there weren't any size or age restrictions then.

Completely UNTRUE.

I can remember going to Disneyland in the early 1960s and there were height requirements for rides even back then. They are certainly not new.

NO judgement here! My SHORTY son used to wear those shoes that had hidden roller skates in them. :rotfl: They add about an inch! And in a pinch he could ROLL to the little boys room REAL FAST! :rotfl2:

No flaming here either, but don't risk it.
Kids around this age grow so fast I wouldn't be surprised if your 5 year grew the inch. It's very possible. pixiedust: Here's some pixie dust for him/her to grow.

Wow, I thought there'd be a few upset parents, but I didn't think you'd get roasted that bad. That was just down right rude. I have to agree with one poster, and call me a bad parent (e.g. Brittany Spears), but I don't think one inch is going to kill the kid. It's not like he's 3, and weighs in at 25 pounds, and she's considering putting him in platforms, and an afro wig. Even if he doesn't grow the full inch, he may grow just enough for them to let him on, shoes or not. Besides, if the staff really feel that he has to be 44", I'm sure they won't let him on.

Anyways, I don't have any real advice, I just wanted to know, you have one more poster on your side. :wave:

Dcanoli said:
I clicked on this thread just to see if you got flamed, and yes, poor dear, you did! :guilty:

really??? I don't think anyone has flamed per say. Yes, people have mostly said that they do not think its a good idea to pump up their kids height, but I don't think any poster has crossed the line into mean.

just my opinion

There have been a few deaths at Disney in recent months. I'd hate for your son to be the next. It might not happen, but you just don't know. They have the height requirements for your child's safety, not to be mean. Think seriously about trying to make him taller.

I bought dd some thick soled shoes to put her over the top. She was excatally 40 inches. and when we'd go to 6-flags sometimes they would let her ride a ride and we would go the next day a different person would'nt let her ride the same ride she rode the day before. I got tired of it. She also had orange lizzie mcguier flip flops to ride stuff at the water park. If I did'nt fell safe I wouldnt have done it. I see nothing wrong with it. I hope the growth spirt fairy visits your house.

No flaming here either, though I am in agreement to wait...that way, you have a perfect excuse that you just HAVE to go back to WDW in another 6 mos... :rotfl2:

...but seriously, don't we all complain about how they grow up so fast? And it seems like just yesterday that....? So no need to rush it :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter