Any way to make my son 1 inch taller?

Funny how I run across this after watching something on one of the new networks today.
The head of some organization talking about how important it is to make sure you children are big enough for the restraint systems and to double check how secure they are especially if they are close to the min requirement.

Hey Oceana.... remember my whole ordeal last yr because Bri was too short to ride the Mummy? Maybe not since you were hiding in the house with a newborn most of the time

I had to measure my DD every weeks for months. First right before our trip in June. She was so upset that she wasn't tall enough. Then every week from then until our next trip in Dec.
DD went from 46 to 48 inches between June and December. Little mess has only grown an inch since then LOL

Gosh they let anyone in on these boards!

Yeah I have been telling Miguel he needs at least an inch if he plans to ride somethings and up to 6 inches for others.

I doubt he will notice what he cannot ride

OH question, so no height restriction for Mealstrom but an age restriction... could someone please explain?

Oceana said:

Yeah I have been telling Miguel he needs at least an inch if he plans to ride somethings and up to 6 inches for others.

OH question, so no height restriction for Mealstrom but an age restriction... could someone please explain?
I'm not sure where you found an age restriction for Maelstrom, but there is no official restriction for Maelstrom, either height or age (here's a link to the official Disney page about Maelstrom.)
That said, it may be too scary for some younger children. There are trolls, including a multi-headed one that says to send you "Over the falls. Over the falls" and then you go backwards rather quickly past scenes of Norway. The ride is dark, but there are no points where you are totally in the dark. The closest to that is a part where it is dark other than a pulsing light in front of you that your boat is going toward.
It does have baby swap and Fastpass.

SueM in MN said:
I'm not sure where you found an age restriction for Maelstrom, but there is no official restriction for Maelstrom, either height or age QUOTE]

Maybe they've changed policy again, but last time I was there (Dec. 2005), a large sign outside the entrance said children under 3 could not ride. Which was pretty interesting given that my DS rode it when he was 6 months old but couldn't 2+ years later...

I read somewhere (and I honestly forget where) that WDW has placed height requirements on some attractions simply to weed out little ones who are much too young. Think Stitch - it's not a ride, I can't see any safety concerns for not being a certain height. :confused3

wrldpossibility said:
Well sheesh! :rotfl2: OP here...although maybe I shouldn't admit to that (can CPS trace my username and come take away my 43 inch child?!).

Joking aside, I am reading all the comments and taking them seriously (except the ones just looking for a fight...I'm sure those posters can find a more contraversial post elsewhere). My family and I are planning our first trip to WDW, which is why I didn't know this topic was one of the "hot" ones here. By the time we go, I'm sure my son will be within 1/2 inch of the requirement, and I really don't think that's a big deal. With tennis shoes (not heels!), I imagine he'll make it, and I know they set the measurement with shoe-wearing in consideration, so being 44 inches with shoes doesn't seem like "cheating" to me. I really wasn't asking for ways to make him inches taller, and I'm not trying to push a 20 pound toddler on the ride. If he's right at the cutoff, I'd even ask the CM if it's safe.

And I'm NOT the parent you see forcing their child on a ride that's too much for them...I'm surprised he even wants to go on, and he very well may change his mind. He also wants to try Tower of Terror...is that 44 inches too? I can't remember.

And yes, he's been warned that he may not be tall enough by the time we go, and we'll certainly know right before we leave if it's likely to happen or not. He is not the type to have a "fit" at the line about it. I don't know if we'll ever be back to WDW in his childhood (hopefully, but there are many other places we intend to travel to as well), and so that's what prompted my question. Sorry to rehash a hot topic. Didn't realize. :)
My DD is also 43.5 inches and she wants to ride EE. Our trip is Labor Day week I"m hoping she grows a half before our trip. :confused3 She planned on wearing crocs to AK but we might just let her wear Tennis shoes because then she is just over 44 inches. If she wears heeled sandals then she is about 45 inches. I also would never risk safety but were talking about and inch without shoes. TOT is 40 inches BTW. DD won't ride TOT it looks tooo scary for her, LOL. The worst part is my other child DS 2 is only 35 inches and can't even ride barnstormer unless he grows. He has less than 2 months before the trip. When DD was 2 she also wasn't quite 35 inches to ride barnstromer either. Not until she was 3. Have a great vacation. I bet your DS will grow before your trip.

PrincessV said:
SueM in MN said:
I'm not sure where you found an age restriction for Maelstrom, but there is no official restriction for Maelstrom, either height or age QUOTE]

Maybe they've changed policy again, but last time I was there (Dec. 2005), a large sign outside the entrance said children under 3 could not ride. Which was pretty interesting given that my DS rode it when he was 6 months old but couldn't 2+ years later...

I read somewhere (and I honestly forget where) that WDW has placed height requirements on some attractions simply to weed out little ones who are much too young. Think Stitch - it's not a ride, I can't see any safety concerns for not being a certain height. :confused3
Wow my DD rode this when she was 2 and she was little. DS will be 2 on this trip and if he can't ride well just skip it becuase it's not that great anyway.

PrincessV said:
Think Stitch - it's not a ride, I can't see any safety concerns for not being a certain height. :confused3
Stitch is probably 2 things - one to make people aware that the attraction is dark and could be scary for little ones.
The other reason is practical - there are no restraints and the attraction doesn't even move, but most of the special effects are contained in a harness that comes down over the shoulders. If someone is too short, the harness won't hit in the correct place.

I am on the flip side of this, my DS just turned 4 and it already 44 inches! But he only weights barely 40 lbs(in jean and tennis shoes!). There is nothing too him, not an ounce of fat! He's a lean tall child. He's also fearless to a point. I am not worried about the height but rather if the lap belts, bars and other safety restrains will be able to hold his skinny rear in place!

His brother is 5, almost 6 and only 4 inches taller but is stockier, still thin but not quite as bad, he weighs in at 48 lbs.

Regardless, if DH and I think it's a risk to ride something they just wont go. The rules are in place for a reason. I also think that by lying about his age/height or whatever your are teaching him to lie to get what he wants, and I don't think you want to teach him that.

I do think that wanting to go on a ride may change once he sees/hears the ride.

He may grow an inch in 4 months, I know mine can!

Good luck and have a safe trip!

Lori

Oceana said:

I stumbled across this place planning my first trip to WDW back in Jan 2000. Was trying to find info on Shades of Green and found Dreams Unlimited. I've been a thorn in the side ever since LOL.

DD was 2 1/2 our first trip, and probably 32 lbs. She loved mealstrom. I think that they probably made the age requirement because of complaints about how "scary" the ride is . Then again a lot of little ones are afraid of Snow White.

I am on the flip side of this, my DS just turned 4 and it already 44 inches! But he only weights barely 40 lbs(in jean and tennis shoes!). There is nothing too him, not an ounce of fat! He's a lean tall child. He's also fearless to a point. I am not worried about the height but rather if the lap belts, bars and other safety restrains will be able to hold his skinny rear in place!
DD is very slim too. I've had the same concerns about many rides. She is such a thrill seeker (she thinks she has to keep up with her brother who is 8 years older). She is so glad that she is now tall enough to ride the kids coasters at US/IOA without an adult. the little monkey holds her hands up. I can't help but to worry since she is so skinny, but then again she's probably safer riding alone since I'm not in there keeping the lap bar up so high.

On Stitch, the shoulder harness comes down hard - it hurt my 11 yr old's bony shoulders! When she tried to get comfortable in her seat, the neck opening slid down her shoulders, so that she was partly sideways... I told her to keep her hands up on her shoulders, with her arms out to keep it from slipping down so far on her, but she got nervous and it didn't work somehow. Anyways, my point is that a very small child may get smooshed in the harness, as it drops down on its own a few times, not just at the beginning of the show!

WOW you guys are lucky with all of your tall children! Mine are teeny beans! My 7.5 year old is only 47 inches. My 5.5 year old is only 42 inches. My 4.5 year old is only 41 inches. My 2.5 year old is 36 inches- (so far age wise he is the fastest growing of the bunch.) I can see the OP's frustration. My children are VERY slow growers. My oldest DS has worn a 4T for the past 3 years! NO JOKE! We bought them a little big and they are just now starting to fit him. He only wears a size 12 shoe at age 7.5. It is very frustrating for him to see 2 and 3 year olds get on rides that he can't because he is vertically challenged. We will probably try to put thick-soled shoes on our children also this year.

nicolemomof4cuties said:
WOW you guys are lucky with all of your tall children! Mine are teeny beans! My 7.5 year old is only 47 inches. My 5.5 year old is only 42 inches. My 4.5 year old is only 41 inches. My 2.5 year old is 36 inches- (so far age wise he is the fastest growing of the bunch.) I can see the OP's frustration. My children are VERY slow growers. My oldest DS has worn a 4T for the past 3 years! NO JOKE! We bought them a little big and they are just now starting to fit him. He only wears a size 12 shoe at age 7.5. It is very frustrating for him to see 2 and 3 year olds get on rides that he can't because he is vertically challenged. We will probably try to put thick-soled shoes on our children also this year.

That is like our kids. (Except oldest dd who hit 5'3 at 12yo...she's pretty average). I have an 8yo who is 44" tall, a 6yo who is 45" tall (passed the 8yo by!), + a just-turning-4yo who is 36" tall (YAY! She can finally do Barnstormer!)

Youngest really really wants to ride Soarin but she is NOT going to grow that much by August 12, lol.

Beth

I have a lil munchkin too! My DD6 is 43 inches. We just discussed this last night and this morning. I told her we'd have her wear tennis shoes and hope for the best.

I was always the child that was too short and ya know what? It sucked! I was the one that loved the big rides and yet I was always too little by just a nudge.

Of course I understand the safety and would never put my child in danger. However when you miss it by a hair and kids 1/2 your age are taller it just doesn't seem fair (to a kid).

We've got 68 days to eat tons of veggies and pop up an inch.

To the OP: This will be DD's first trip. If I think she won't make the requirements I plan to distract her with all the great rides she can ride. I don't want her embarassed or upset if they had to tell her no. Perhaps once you are there your lil one will be so overwhelmed one ride won't stick out. Good luck!

Isn't it funny how we all worry about our kids size! The last few worry about theirs being small an being left out of things they want to do. I know I tell everyone my sons age to the month becuse he is so tall, many people have thought he was slow for his age... But he is just so tall. I hate it when people expect so much more from him because they think he is almost 4 and not 29 months old. I guess that is what Moms just do, worry about giving them the best :)

Like my almost 2 1/2 YO son just learned how to say "it's not fair" I am still not sure where he learned it but it is so true!!! SO far he only sais it when things are hard for him to do or he gets hurt, so it is still cute :)

we had a run in with an over enthusic CM on the height issue. my dd was tall enough to go on the ride but the CM just wanted to be sure, well ho put her next to the height check and let the bar go that swings to check her height and it whacked her on the side of the head. the look on his face was priceless and i thought he was going to cry. my dd didn't look to chuffed but she was ok. i mst admit to having a good chucle over it though. think this was at a non disney park though. but still funy non the less.

I know how you feel. My Grandson is just now a hair above 40 inches on our wall chart. He wanted to ride Dinosaure so bad last year but at just 38 inches was too small. The CM at the ride felt so bad as he kept going up to the measuring stick every two minutes while we were riding to see if he was tall enough... :sad2: She gave him a pass to use the fast pass lane when he gets "big" enough. All year every meal he eats and every nap he takes he has run to measure himself to see if he grew enough. We just keep saying almost and trying to prepare him because we know that our chart and Disney's may differ by a fraction and that is all it would take! Even the sticks at Disney are off by a little with no two being exact. He is going to be so heart broken if he isn't tall enough. I keep hoping that the next 4 weeks will see a small growth spurt and he will get just a little over that magic 40" mark.....send a little pixie dust our way please.

I teach five year olds and most of them seem to grow an inch every other month or so...it is a big year for height growth! I bet he will be fine!

On our trip to Disneyland in June, dd10 passed the measuring stick test for all rides, including California Screamin' (52"). But at her checkup two weeks ago, the dr. measured her at just 51 3/4". So do I have grounds for a lawsuit? Improper measuring endangering my child's health? ;)

It does show though, that measurements can be off. So, to the OP, even if your son doesn't grow a whole inch in time for your trip, he might get close enough. Just prepare him for the possibility of not getting on, and see how it goes.

i just read this entire thread and did not see hte OP being flamed one bit. Now onto the topic at hand, i hope your son grows in time, but if not i like the idea of showing him what he CAN ride and making that fun! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!