• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Any word on River Country???

westjones

DIS Veteran
I had heard rumors last spring that the River Country water park would become park of Fort Wilderness. Has anyone heard any more on this?
Thanks,
DJ

I haven't heard anything, but that would be so great!! FW needs a better place to swim. So many other resorts have great pools.

My feeling is that if it wasn't financially feasible to keep RC open with paid admissions, it really wouldn't with no admission fees.

I'd like to see them take that area and make it a FW vacation club area with large lake-side sites and pull-throughs. I'd buy into that!

I've heard so many different rumors from a pool for FW guests, to a perk for CMs only, to there's too much bacteria in the lake and it's not safe to swim in (but that doesn't stop the mouse boats, jet skis, parasailing...) to "they put too much money into BB that they want to be sure it's full first...

When we were there in July, it didn't look like they were doing anything with it. I just hope that it doesn't turn into an abandoned waste-land.

Does anyone else think that the island/bird sanctuary isn't looking the greatest? I can understand leaving it for the birds but why not take out the buildings, fences, piers...?

Anyway, just my opinion for what it's worth (not much I know! LOL!)

I don't know if anyone else remembers this, but WDW used to add chlorine to the lake water at RC. Did they stop doing that in later years??

I really enjoyed River Country and was sad to see it close. Whatever they decide to do with it I hope they do it soon. When you ride by it in the Watermouse boats it looks abandoned.

I agree with the campingcorgi's when they said that if it couldn't make it by charging admission, I cant see it being just for FW guests in this age of cutbacks. My hopes woud be otherwise but it doesn't seem realistic.

3-87 Offsite
7-87 Offsite
7-00 DL
7-01 Poly
7-02 WL
Dec FW

They will not re-open RC at the present time. The rumors about not making enough money are simply untrue. The correct reason is the amount of bacteria in the water cannot be controlled effectively. Yes the boats are still being rented and para-sailing is offered but the amount of time you are in the water (if at all) is minimal at best.

On the other hand people would spend all day in the water at RC.

To avoid future law suits it was decided to close it down.

I'm so bummed to hear that nothing seems to be happening with either River Country or Discovery Island. Even though I've been to Fort Wilderness more than any other resort, those two places are about the only places in "The World" that I'd never made it to. If something were to be done with either of these, I'll make a special trip just to get to see it.

If you remember River Country was the first water park ever. It was built on wood rather then steal like the parks are today. We were told bottom line is that the mountain is condemed. If you think about it it was built about the same time the Poly pool was built and that slide had to be redone last year.

I love River Country. It has alot of memories from my childhood and from when my kids were little. I hope they do something with it but in my heart I don't think they will.

When you bring up Discovery Island. They reason that was closed was due to the plumbing leak. The sewer was going into bay lake from the bathrooms. So I don't see anything being done with that either.

If you remember River Country was the first water park ever. It was built on wood rather then steal like the parks are today. We were told bottom line is that the mountain is condemed. If you think about it it was built about the same time the Poly pool was built and that slide had to be redone last year.
Poly original slide was fiberglass on concrete not wood. It was redone because the entire pool area was redone.
The correct reason is the amount of bacteria in the water cannot be controlled effectively.
Not true. RC has a spillway that flows over into Bay Lake, Bay Lake does not flow into RC. Even if it was the other way around . . . . . .
Yes the boats are still being rented and para-sailing is offered but the amount of time you are in the water (if at all) is minimal at best.
. . . . . .I see people swimming in the lake all the time at the WL and no one tells them to get out. and you can still wade in the water at the Poly and at GF.
but WDW used to add chlorine to the lake water at RC.
Water was treated with Bromine not Chlorine.
Cut backs; pure and simple. No other thought required!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter