Anybody Do The Wyoming Adventure??

TeenaS

DIS Veteran
My daughter (age 25) and I (age 58) are contemplating doing this in May to avoid lots of young children. Is it cold there in May? Do you suggest early or late May? Did you enjoy it? How was the food?

I lived in Jackson for a year, and early May was chilly and rainy. I remember attending a Memorial Day picnic in jeans, long-sleeve skin layer, and fleece. The snow had not yet melted everywhere. It starts to get much more pleasant by the end of the month, but we weren't in shorts all day until Mid June. More typically, we would start out in jeans, tank top, shirt, and fleece in the am (in June) and strip layers until midday when we'd be in a tank top and jeans if riding or shorts if not. By dinner time we were putting layers on again.

I'd say early September is better for warmer weather, from my personal experience at least.'

but if you don't mind wearing layers, go for it-- its beautiful there at any time!

Somewhere on her is a trip report of someone who took this tour last year while it was in the testing phase. It was full of info - try a search.

There was also an article in the Passporter newletter this month -

Go to www.passporter.com and it is in the Oct. 12 issue. It looks really great!

Actually, they don't have that newsletter archived yet. I don't know how to forward it without your e-mail address. If you want to pm me I can forward you a copy of my newsletter.

Here is the link to that trip report recently run in the passporter newsletter ... it was stored "behind the scenes" of the site (we found it by clicking on a different passporter newsletter link and then overlaying the more current date in the url).

Also, if you go into the passporter newsletter archives, there is another Wyoming trip report from June 8.

http://www.passporter.com/news/news101206.htm#Disney

My brother went this past July and they have already booked it again with 4 other families from the same trip. He has a blog about their trip so I will try to get the link and post it here later.

I have guided the Snake river and back packing trips throughout the Tetons for quite a few years. May is chilly for people that aren't used to cold climates. It isn't always rainy that time of year but it can be. However the ground will be wet, the water will be cold. This is because the snow is still melting at high elevations in May. I wouldn't let this stop you from going, the chances of cold and rain any time of the year are high at that elevation. Just plan on it being cold, take warm layers, drink lots of cofee/tea/hot chocolate, eat lots of food (this will keep your blood pumping and you'll stay warmer). I always tell my clients that it is better to be cold and have to throw on the layers and sip a hot drink then to be in the hot dry heat of Wyoming/Utah/Colorado and have to cool off.

I don't know if it will matter to you or not, but you will be more likely to see bear if you wait a little later. As it warms up a little (early June), they are more active.

(Of course, I'm a southern girl. May in Wyoming is way too cold for me. My parents, on the other hand, love it there from April through October.)

Julie

Our family did the Wyoming "Quest For The West" in the first season (05). It was magical in every way-money well spent! Beautiful place, great new friends, and a memory of a lifetime. We are now hooked and have another ABD planned for 07'. Problem is sooooooo many places to see it's hard to choose the next one. We were very tempted to go back to Wyoming because it was so fantastic, but have decided to try a new destination.
Happy Adventuring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My DH and I would love to do this trip with our DD's would be ages at time of trip: 12 & 10. I'm wondering about the accomindations, especially the 2nd stop at Old Faithful. From reading trip reports on tripadvisor the 2nd stop sounds rather rustic, no AC, no TV (DD's gasped at that and DH just rolled his eyes :rolleyes: at them). We would be going probably July or August. Were you comfortable without the AC?

kmermaid,
In reply to your question about Old Faithful rooms. My family has gone to Yellowstone many many times, with our young daughters about the ages of yours. We always request an old room. We never missed having a tv, as it is so fun to poke around the lodge and watch the geysers from the balcony.
We also did not miss air conditioning, as at that elevation it is quite cool in the evenings.

perdidobay said:
kmermaid,
In reply to your question about Old Faithful rooms. My family has gone to Yellowstone many many times, with our young daughters about the ages of yours. We always request an old room. We never missed having a tv, as it is so fun to poke around the lodge and watch the geysers from the balcony.
We also did not miss air conditioning, as at that elevation it is quite cool in the evenings.

perdidobay:
Are there different sections of rooms? I only read/saw pics of rooms which looked like separate cabins. Is there a main lodge that houses rooms? And if so what are they like? Thanks for the info. ABD is just what I was looking for. DH is getting tired when I always bring up going to WDW. He says there is so much more out there to see, but I would be hestiate to try to plan a trip on my own.

I live 1.5 hours south of Jackson. If you are from here it is called Jackson, not Jackson Hole, FYI. May is a wonderful time of the year if you are use to the weather already. It is warm and sunny during the day, snow on the higher elevations, and all the spring animals emerge. Nites are cool but the hard cold is gone and we can feel the warmth of summer trying to come up.

I would love to be guide for DA but I own a ranch and raise and ride mustangs. We also have a raft and do the white water river trip on the snake during June and July. If you are doing a flat trip you will be fine.

We take our sleds, snowmachines up to the higher elevations and still snowboard until there is no more snow.

Drink plenty of water! It is very high here and stay in shape for your trip. Yellowstone is fabulous and I am in awe everytime I go! WL at Disney is modeled after the Old Yellowstone hotel. But this is the real McCoy!

We have never stayed at Wl because it would seem fakey to us as this is our backyard.

Hey, you could just come to my house and help me with the horses instead! I have a raft, 4 wheeler, sleds, snowboards, boats, and horses, horses and more horses. And a heated pool.

Enjoy your trip, I hope I have helped you with information. The best breakfast in Jackson...eat at Jed's...Jediadiahs.

All the best, April

kmermaid said:
perdidobay:
Are there different sections of rooms? I only read/saw pics of rooms which looked like separate cabins. Is there a main lodge that houses rooms? And if so what are they like? Thanks for the info. ABD is just what I was looking for. DH is getting tired when I always bring up going to WDW. He says there is so much more out there to see, but I would be hestiate to try to plan a trip on my own.

After reading the itinerary, I see that the Snow Lodge and Cabins and not Old Faithful Inn are the accommodations you would be in.
Here is a link to the info about the Snow Lodge and Cabins, hope it helps you.
http://www.travelyellowstone.com/old-faithful-snow-lodge-cabins-98.html

Just adding my 2 cents as we LOVE visiting Jackson and the Tetons!

As for the Old Faithful Inn...you won't miss the TV's! Really! It's a different pace out there, and there are sooooooo many other activities to do instead of sitting in front of the tube. Even the kids. It's GREAT. No AC is not a problem, unless you're there in the middle of summer during a 'heat wave' (we've had that happen - can get a bit toasty but they usually have ceiling fans that help).

As for May...I guess it just depends on the type of weather you want (and what you are used to). If you want warmer weather, I wouldn't go in May. I've been in mid-late June and had cold and sleet, I would think that May would be just too iffy in the weather dept. I've been told that if you want dry (as in the ground, not muddy from the winter run off) and warm, go in July or August. I've been once in June, 4 times in July and once in Sept. I prefer July. Of course July is more crowded - but it never bothered us as we just headed out of town into the parks and hit the quiet, low traffic trails.

Anyway, I could type for hours about Jackson.....love love love it out there. Our absolute favorite!! :love: It's beautiful. Breathtaking. So much to see and do. And I'll ditto tacomaranch on a few things....definitely hydrate, start on the flight out. And definitely do some walking/exercising before heading out there, or you'll be paying if you plan to do some hiking. Jedidiah's is good, but I must say I prefer the Bunnery. :thumbsup2 And then there's always a quick bagel and coffee from Pearl Street bagels before heading into the park. And don't miss Bubba's! And catch a show at the Mangy Moose! (See, I can't stop!)

Have an awesome time!!

We were in Grand Teton and Yellowstone in late July this year (not on an ABD trip) and it was unusually HOT, so it can happen. Temp was in the upper 80's, low 90's at elevation. It did cool off at night and there was a rotating fan in each room which we did use and helped a lot. We stayed at the Old Faithful Inn (among other places) and since it was so warm during the day, we did a lot of walking around the geyers basins after dinner when it was more comfortable. The Snow Lodge is right there also and looks fine, I wouldn't hesitate to stay there. Lodging in the Park is on the rustic side but that's the trade-off for staying in the middle of things, and waking up to see Old Faithful going off or a buffalo right outside your window... :thumbsup2

I don't know if any of us on the board have stayed at the Snow Lodge at Old Faithful (I haven't -- it's always booked), but I do know that it is their premiere resort (and the newest in the park). It's not actually part of Old Faithful Inn (which IS rustic and old and lovely), but across the street from it. That may clarify things.

Julie

The Snow Lodge is gorgeous and very cozy! It's very close to the Inn, and you are free to wonder around them both. :goodvibes The Inn has a lovely multible level balcony overlooking the main floor, which is a nice place to sit in a rocking chair or sofa and relax.

I don't know why I am going to give away more local secrets but here goes. I agree that pearl street is great but they don't toast. Bagel jax did but they closed.

For lunch, the brew pub, sorry, Snake river brew pub is a local fav as is 43 N. We are all looking for the deal and good food so if you need ambiance don't go where I recommend.

I love that the tourist go to Bubba's. If you go for the contractor breakfast it is fine but other than that, it is for tourist. If you promise to be good, stop at Sidewinders across from Mc'ds. The bar is smoke free and they have two leather sofa's by a huge fireplace.. We go after a day of snowboarding.

Jackson is beautiful and I often forget to stop and remember that I do live in God's country.

Blessings, April

tacomaranch said:
I don't know why I am going to give away more local secrets but here goes. I agree that pearl street is great but they don't toast. Bagel jax did but they closed.

For lunch, the brew pub, sorry, Snake river brew pub is a local fav as is 43 N. We are all looking for the deal and good food so if you need ambiance don't go where I recommend.

I love that the tourist go to Bubba's. If you go for the contractor breakfast it is fine but other than that, it is for tourist. If you promise to be good, stop at Sidewinders across from Mc'ds. The bar is smoke free and they have two leather sofa's by a huge fireplace.. We go after a day of snowboarding.

Jackson is beautiful and I often forget to stop and remember that I do live in God's country.

Blessings, April

Bubba's.....may be on the tourist-y side, but it's good. We always get it to go and head to the base of Snow King (by the playscape) where we sit outside and enjoy the sun, and some pretty good BBQ. 43 N was new to us when we were there last Sept. - didn't go there, but there was always an incredible smell lingering. Sidewinders - especially great when the Dubs are in town (I still prefer the Moose for a special night out - I have kids, so any night out is "special"now). Back in the pre-kid days it was always a fun night when we ended up at the Rancher.

Yes April, you are lucky. I feel lucky just to have a friend who lives in Jackson!

::yes:: I agree that you are very lucky April - Jackson is a wonderful place and I'm very jealous of you :sunny:
If you're at Snow King in the summer definitely go down the Alpine Slide - GREAT fun for adults and kids alike! Next time we're there we'll plan to get DS an all day pass and take some runs early in the day, then come back later in the day to do more.
If you're in Grand Teton NP, try the restaurant at Signal Hill for lunch - very very good (sorry don't remember the name of it) and a wonderful view out across Jackson Lake to the Tetons. Also pizza up at the marina north of Colter Bay is good but can have long lines in the evening -the river guides gave us that tip (altho beer selection is only so-so).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!