Anybody have a poor experience at Carthay?

I have only eaten here once, but it was a good experience. At first we were seated outside on the upstairs deck, which some people might like but it was too loud and casual feeling and we wanted an elegant evening. I asked to be moved inside and we were promptly reseated in the main dining room, which was lovely. The service was really great. When my meal came (a short rib dish) I had for some reason received huge chunks of fatty gristle (almost no meat) rather than what a short rib should be. The server immediately noticed I wasn’t eating my meal, was really surprised at what I had received. She apologized and whisked it away and replaced it with anything else I wanted. My replacement meal was delicious and she brought it out FAST. Not sure how she made that happen

Anyway, my experience at Carthay was positive and I would eat there again.

It used to be our favorite but after 3 bad experiences there in a row (twice I had to send my meal back because it was just plain wrong), I am done shelling out the money for it. The food and service are so inconsistent compared to everywhere else in disney that it just isn't worth it for us.

My kids (13 and 10) really like Carthay, so we keep returning for dinner once a year during our summer trip, but... DH and my inlaws, with whom we often go to DLR in the fall, are not fans. And honestly, after yet another "eh" dinner this summer, I tend to agree. At least, though, when we are with DH and/or the in-laws we end up with a decent table. If it is just me and the kids, it seems like we always get put at terrible tables, even when the restaurant is nowhere near full. (I've asked to be reseated, though I just sighed and gave up when it happened again this summer.) My kids are well-dressed, well-behaved, and have eaten at good restaurants since they were toddlers, and I've never had this happen at Napa Rose, Steakhouse 55, etc., so I just don't get it. (We've had it happen it Ralph Brennan's, too, but when I've said we'd wait for a better table--for instance, on the balcony with a view, they have always been accommodating. We tend to eat late-ish because that's when we eat at home (reservations anywhere between 7:30 and 9:00), and never are walk-ins, yet it seems like they hold better tables for parties of all adults at Carthay. In addition, I find myself begging the waitstaff not to rush the meal. (Again, I get that maybe some kids aren't used to long, late meals, but at Steakhouse or Napa Rose, we just don't get rushed like that.) Maybe it's just been coincidence that it's happened so many times, but given that the food is, in my opinion, good but not great, I'm leaning toward not returning to Carthay
next summer.

Tanya,

I've had similar issues with pacing at Disney restaurants and I haven't been at the park with a child, well, since I was a child! I think that's a combination of wanting higher table turn over and because of the kids. For example, I had the Fantastmic! lunch package at Blue Bayou a few weeks ago and was in and out in 45 minutes That's a three course meal! I had my app and my entree on the table at the same time. I am frustrated immensely by it because feeling so rushed certainly takes away from my enjoyment and I feel unwanted as a patron. TBH, I am kind of hoping with the alcohol introduction in Disneyland that they will start to serve in Blue Bayou just so I have an excuse to be a bit more languid in my dining.

As for seating, I've always gotten trash seating at Carthay, lol. I'm not sure why. I only attend with adults and I like to do it right when we go. Usually we have cocktails, multicourse dinner with a bottle or two of wine and after dinner drinks. I've had the same server five or six times in a row now, so I think she knows that we are going to be a lucrative table, lol. That said, I'm always seated dead center in the main dining hall. I'd love a side room one day!

So, you're not alone! Hopefully we can crack the code.

Cheers,
Tink

I eat at Carthay most times I'm in the park and definitely every time I am alone, so you could say I like it. I don't think it's exceptional as much as I just think it's clearly the best place to eat in the park in terms of quality and experience for me. I just wish I could get the full menu at the bar still. D:

I have only eaten there once, but I thought the food and service were good. I had two main issues:

1. Like others have mentioned, even though the restaurant was practically empty, they put us at a horrible table and put another party at a table right next to us, which was incredibly awkward.

2. I ordered an Old Fashioned with some high-end bourbon, and they gave me a sludge pile full of mashed up fruit. An Old Fashioned is bourbon, a splash of simple syrup, and a dash of bitters. What kind of fancy cocktail bar doesn't know that? What kind of maniac takes ludicrously expensive bourbon and ruins it by making a drink more suitable for a sorority party?

However, now that I know what is weird about the place, I would definitely go back and this time be more assertive. We want to sit over there. I'm sorry, this is not an old fashioned, even though there is $25 worth of bourbon in it go pour it out and make a good one.

My kids (13 and 10) really like Carthay, so we keep returning for dinner once a year during our summer trip, but... DH and my inlaws, with whom we often go to DLR in the fall, are not fans. And honestly, after yet another "eh" dinner this summer, I tend to agree. At least, though, when we are with DH and/or the in-laws we end up with a decent table. If it is just me and the kids, it seems like we always get put at terrible tables, even when the restaurant is nowhere near full. (I've asked to be reseated, though I just sighed and gave up when it happened again this summer.) My kids are well-dressed, well-behaved, and have eaten at good restaurants since they were toddlers, and I've never had this happen at Napa Rose, Steakhouse 55, etc., so I just don't get it. (We've had it happen it Ralph Brennan's, too, but when I've said we'd wait for a better table--for instance, on the balcony with a view, they have always been accommodating. We tend to eat late-ish because that's when we eat at home (reservations anywhere between 7:30 and 9:00), and never are walk-ins, yet it seems like they hold better tables for parties of all adults at Carthay. In addition, I find myself begging the waitstaff not to rush the meal. (Again, I get that maybe some kids aren't used to long, late meals, but at Steakhouse or Napa Rose, we just don't get rushed like that.) Maybe it's just been coincidence that it's happened so many times, but given that the food is, in my opinion, good but not great, I'm leaning toward not returning to Carthay
next summer.
I’ve heard some say they feel
Rushed at blue bayou too. So I’m not sure it’s the fact that you have kids.

3 people for just over $90 is a steal at this place. Sorry you had a bad experience, but taking 20% off the check was a nice gesture of apology by the manager (even though you didn't speak with one, they are the ones who do the bill comps, so a manager was made aware of the situation).

Next time, if things are taking too long, ask to speak to the manager directly from your table. Ask ANY server, doesn't have to be yours.

I've had nothing but exceptional experiences at this place, so I would write this off as a fluke and try again if you feel so inclined. It's not everyone favorite style of restaurant, or food, though, so maybe it just wasn't for you. I will say, they purposely pace this meal slowly. It's meant to be more like a fine dining experience.

Then they purposely paced our (and only our ) meal slow, because every table around us arrived, ordered, ate, paid and left before us.

There seems to be a theme here of discontentment with seating location at CCR. You are allowed to request seating location when you check in. CMs will tell you the standard spiel that they cannot guarantee your request will be granted, but they will try to do what they can. We've been seated in our requested location, usually with our requested server, almost every time. What is one guest's "trash seating" is another guest's preferred location. Make your preference (be as specific and detailed as you can -- give a reason if you can) known at check in and repeat with your seating host/ess. There is nothing wrong with making a clear, reasonable request. If the pacing of your food is off for you (too slow or too fast), say something at the time or, even better, let your server know at the start what kind of pacing you want. Clear communication can really help everyone have a better time, especially when the meal is on the expensive side. And if something does go wrong, speak up (as soon as possible). If it can be fixed at the time, great. If not, at least the restaurant can learn from the experience. But they won't learn anything is nothing is said.

Last edited:
My one dining experience at Carthay was somewhat disappointing because the host chose to seat a solo gentleman at the 2 top table directly next to our small table - even when we were the only 2 tables seated and there were plenty of other open small tables nearby... Very awkward for all... The food was great, but the experience was flawed.
That why we ask for a table on the balcony now. Those banquettes are so close together, we asked to be moved when they tried to seat us there. I wasn't going to waste our time and money on that kind of nonsense.

Tanya,

I've had similar issues with pacing at Disney restaurants and I haven't been at the park with a child, well, since I was a child! I think that's a combination of wanting higher table turn over and because of the kids. For example, I had the Fantastmic! lunch package at Blue Bayou a few weeks ago and was in and out in 45 minutes That's a three course meal! I had my app and my entree on the table at the same time. I am frustrated immensely by it because feeling so rushed certainly takes away from my enjoyment and I feel unwanted as a patron. TBH, I am kind of hoping with the alcohol introduction in Disneyland that they will start to serve in Blue Bayou just so I have an excuse to be a bit more languid in my dining.

As for seating, I've always gotten trash seating at Carthay, lol. I'm not sure why. I only attend with adults and I like to do it right when we go. Usually we have cocktails, multicourse dinner with a bottle or two of wine and after dinner drinks. I've had the same server five or six times in a row now, so I think she knows that we are going to be a lucrative table, lol. That said, I'm always seated dead center in the main dining hall. I'd love a side room one day!

So, you're not alone! Hopefully we can crack the code.

Cheers,
Tink
I know if I don’t want to be rushed I will order appetizers and then order my entree when the appetizers are brought to the table so they don’t come out of the kitchen at the same time.

I've only been here for drinks, and requested to be placed at the bar, since it was just me that day. Service seemed pretty good. The bar tenders were great, and make good recommendations for drinks to try. I want to go back and try a meal, but reading some of these reviews, I'm not too sure. I would feel upset if I paid a lot of money and not get service to match....

I've only been here for drinks, and requested to be placed at the bar, since it was just me that day. Service seemed pretty good. The bar tenders were great, and make good recommendations for drinks to try. I want to go back and try a meal, but reading some of these reviews, I'm not too sure. I would feel upset if I paid a lot of money and not get service to match....

I guess that's just how it goes sometimes. People complain on the WDW boards about 'Ohana all the time, but aside from slowish service one time, we've always had a really good experience. Unfortunately, for the amount of money we're talking about, a single bad experience is enough to ruin a restaurant for you (me) forever.

I've always had a very positive experience at Carthay. We eat here every time we visit Disneyland. It's our one "splurge" meal for the trip so we always order drinks at the bar and then head upstairs for dinner. Like someone mentioned earlier - $90 for three people is a bargain at this place. My wife and I easily spend over $100 just for the two of us at dinner. Hopefully you just had a one-off bad experience. It's usually not like this - the waitstaff is usually extremely professional and attentive.

I worked at a very nice fine dining restaurant after I got out of college and I learned some great lessons about customer service back then but the most important one was to speak up the moment you get a bad table near the kitchen, wait station or near a table that is loud or disruptive to you. Or if you have been waiting too long for your food or when you get the food and its barely warm/cold or under/over cooked, speak up!

Always be polite but be firm. And do not speak with your server about it. Tell your server you would like to speak with the manager asap. Only speak directly to the manager or whoever is in charge at that time. Do not waste your valuable time telling your story to 5 different people. Be polite, tell the manager your name and ask them their name. Then tell them why you are not pleased and ask them if they will fix the problem(s). If they won't remedy the situation right away, thank them but let them know you are unsatisfied and you would like to take your business elsewhere. Don't tolerate bad service when you are paying for good service. And never be embarrassed to stand up for yourself. Ever.

This is how I felt about Blue Bayou, so many bad reviews, I didn’t know what to expect but I was pleasantly surprised, especially by my meal, which was fantastic. Maybe I got lucky with my choice!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter