Anybody here fly out of, or thru, Atlanta frequently?

It's really not as "nuts" as you may think it is.

Sure. I was really responding to the comment saying that "the terminals are not too far apart" because it's a domestic transfer.

We had about 35 minutes last year going through Atlanta and I was so worried about it. I called Delta and tried to get us on a different flight, but the person I spoke with assured me they wouldn't set up a flight with too short of a connection time. We were in Delta Comfort, so we were some of the first ones off the plane. We booked it to the train, over a couple terminals and got to the next gate as they were boarding. We made it, but it was almost a little too close for comfort.

I live in Atlanta and fly frequently. I think it is a bit risky, especially if you are not on the first flight of the day from your home airport. Anything can and does happen. That being said, 45 would be enough in a perfect scenario.

What time of the year is this? Mid summer like now, it is particularly risky with thunderstorms that pop up mid day through early evening and can screw the whole airport up for hours on end.

I agree - 45 minutes is tight and a bit risky.

And it seems like every time I fly through Atlanta (no matter what time of the year) there always seemed to be weather delays. :headache:

I agree - 45 minutes is tight and a bit risky.

And it seems like every time I fly through Atlanta (no matter what time of the year) there always seemed to be weather delays. :headache:

So many flights connect through Atlanta they seem to fall victim to weather issues elsewhere too.

So many flights connect through Atlanta they seem to fall victim to weather issues elsewhere too.

At least with most major airlines at hub airports, there's going to be a lot connecting flights. Miss one flight and they'll just try to accommodate a passenger on the next one.

At least with most major airlines at hub airports, there's going to be a lot connecting flights. Miss one flight and they'll just try to accommodate a passenger on the next one.

Yes, although that wasn't quite the subject I was discussing.

For the sake of picking nits, one might point out that your no harm/no foul scenario may just collapse in the face of more and more flights flying full these days. If you miss your connector and the next two flights are full you may find yourself flying out several hours later nonetheless.

Yes, although that wasn't quite the subject I was discussing.

For the sake of picking nits, one might point out that your no harm/no foul scenario may just collapse in the face of more and more flights flying full these days. If you miss your connector and the next two flights are full you may find yourself flying out several hours later nonetheless.

Sure. But if it's just the previous flight late for a minor problem, then it doesn't necessarily cascade. There might be full flights, but there's usually standby still available, and I believe that these passengers are at the top of the standby list. But if it's a case of major delays all over the country, then it's going to cascade no matter what for reasons other than inadequate connection time.

I still get a kick out of the meltdown at Hong Kong International Airport over missing a flight. The irony was that the airline had four flights a day to San Francisco and this woman and her family just caught the next flight in 3 hours.

I have successfully made a 30 minute layover in Atlanta. I did put us in Delta Comfort to make sure we were able to get off the first plane quickly. It was a quick dash through the airport, but not impossible.

Ideally, I like 1.5 hours in Atlanta., but as long as there are some later flights, I would take a 45 minute layover, if that was the time that worked best for me. A delay could certainly mess up your second flight, but you would probably find that Delta had already rescheduled you before you even landed (at least, that was my most recent experience).

Weather delays can certainly affect many other airports - it just seems like for some reason, I've had a lot more weather delays in Atlanta than most other airports. Granted, that's just my experience - I don't assume that it's any better or worse in Atlanta than other airports.

And just because I feel like I need to post a random video with no connection to the thread at hand, here you go ;)

Weather delays can certainly affect many other airports - it just seems like for some reason, I've had a lot more weather delays in Atlanta than most other airports. Granted, that's just my experience - I don't assume that it's any better or worse in Atlanta than other airports.

And just because I feel like I need to post a random video with no connection to the thread at hand, here you go ;)

I generally try to find a way to avoid stopovers in Atlanta because it seems every single time we wind up delayed. Ironically it's been weather delays elsewhere every time -- including a couple where we weren't even deplaning, merely dropping off and picking up other passengers.

I was teasing a friend about it last year when she was booking flights and she said she had heard the same thing from a few other people. Ironically she wound up caught up in a mess flying home because she was there when the airport had the big power outage. Needless to say she did not have fun and it took a few days before she was ready to joke about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter