Anybody traveling to WDW this fall

Have you ever been seriously ill in Canada? Unfortunately, I have.....and while our provincial health coverage covered the costs, that was the ONLY thing that was easier.

The waiting list for an MRI was more than a year long at that time, and the closest machine was more than an hour to the east of us, or more than 2 hours to the west.

The only hospital that could finally treat me was 2.5 hours from my home. Because I was having grand mal seizures, my license was automatically revoked....so now not only did I have to travel ridiculous distances, even during miserable weather, for treatment to save my life, I also had to find someone who could provide me with transportation.

During that time, I had no family doctor (and we didn't for a full five years) because there was a doctor shortage in our area.

And I had a brain tumor.

Let me assure you, there was nothing "easy" about that whole experience.

[I won't even bother to explain the differences in the treatment and hospital experience here in the US, because I can guarantee it will fall on deaf ears. What I will say is that I have PERSONALLY experienced both systems, so I know first-hand the financial and medical impact of both. Based on two major surgeries, both from a medical standpoint and the financial one, I'd take my experience here in Michigan over Ontario ANY day. That's not a "spin", that's a fact.]

Your experience is not that typical. Maybe it’s because it was so long ago. I’ve had MRIs for a non urgent issue. Only waited 2 months. My husband needed an MRI for an urgent issue and got it the next day, same when my dad needed one . The only people who need to travel long distance for MRIs are those who live far from urban centres.

I’m sorry you had such a terrible experience but it sounds like it was a long time ago and it’s not typical of what others experience. Everyone I know has received excellent care for many issues, including some serious cancers. And the best part is nobody has to go broke paying for it. Many people in the US die because they can’t access care at all.

Perhaps you need to go back and re-read what I posted. I did not minimize the cost to travellers whatsoever. I simply clarified a statement that one day in an American hospital would equal or exceed $250,000. That statement was inflammatory and inaccurate.

As travelling Canadians, we ALWAYS had travel insurance when we left our home country. I wouldn't recommend anyone cross the border without it.

As have I. For 18 years before I left Canada, I worked for a company that sold travel insurance and processed claims for out of country care.

Again, I am not (and DID NOT) dispute that overall level of coverage. My post was to dispute the comment that the stated sum could be met or exceeded in one single day of care.
I am responding to these two statements.......

Please don't believe all of the American medical "data" that the Canadian media shares. At least some (and I suspect, perhaps the largest percentage) is overblown, overstated, or a minority experience intended to sensationalize.
There ³is a very definite "spin" on what the Canadian media has to say about American healthcare. [
Perhaps you need to go back and re-read what I posted. I did not minimize the cost to travellers whatsoever. I simply clarified a statement that one day in an American hospital would equal or exceed $250,000. That statement was inflammatory and inaccurate.

As travelling Canadians, we ALWAYS had travel insurance when we left our home country. I wouldn't recommend anyone cross the border without it.

As have I. For 18 years before I left Canada, I worked for a company that sold travel insurance and processed claims for out of country care.

Again, I am not (and DID NOT) dispute that overall level of coverage. My post was to dispute the comment that the stated sum could be met or exceeded in one single day of care.

I’m sorry you feel it was inflammatory and innacurate. I stand by my post.

Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina said:
Then you will also know that the fee schedule is deeply discounted for those with insurance coverage. Insurance companies don't pay anywhere near the full book costs of any procedure. At least that’s how it was when I was there. I haven’t lived in the US for many many years.

Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina said:
Please don't believe all of the American medical "data" that the Canadian media shares. At least some (and I suspect, perhaps the largest percentage) is overblown, overstated, or a minority experience intended to sensationalize. I am a Canadian, living in the USA, and just had a major surgical procedure 3 weeks ago which had me hospitalized for 3 full days. My total bill, including the surgery and the hospital care that followed, was under $30,000 US. A lot of money, for sure, but nowhere near $250,000 for one day. There ³is a very definite "spin" on what the Canadian media has to say about American health care.

In your posts above, you say you live in the U.S. and had surgery a few weeks ago. In the other post, it says you haven’t lived there for many many years. Would you mind clarifying?

Your experience is not that typical. Maybe it’s because it was so long ago. I’ve had MRIs for a non urgent issue. Only waited 2 months. My husband needed an MRI for an urgent issue and got it the next day, same when my dad needed one . The only people who need to travel long distance for MRIs are those who live far from urban centres.

I’m sorry you had such a terrible experience but it sounds like it was a long time ago and it’s not typical of what others experience. Everyone I know has received excellent care for many issues, including some serious cancers. And the best part is nobody has to go broke paying for it. Many people in the US die because they can’t access care at all.

Based on the very recent (within the last few months) Facebook posts of the local hospital from my hometown, it's still a very typical experience. That hospital is still telling people that ER wait times are still so long, you won't get care unless you are truly at death's door. The hospital in the town I lived in many years ago still does not deliver babies, necessitating expectant mothers to drive to an adjacent city to give birth (which is one of the reasons why I was literally holding a baby within 40 minutes of walking through their door). My husband's uncle had a stroke a couple of months ago, and an aunt was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer in late spring 2020. Both had to travel an hour or more from their home to get treatment in Kingston, as they were unable to be accommodated locally.

You are very lucky to be able to say that you know NO ONE who has struggled to get care in Canada. I'm guessing you live in a larger centre. My own mother, within the last 5 years, waited almost 8 months on a waiting list for a hip replacement. Her pain was unimaginable and she fully lost her ability to walk by the time she finally had surgery. I won't even get into the details of my own father's cancer treatment, because I'm sure his suffering and eventual death would also be deemed "not typical" by those who refuse to believe either country could do better.

One of the biggest myths about medical care in the US is that there is no help for the poor. In the state that I live in, Medicaid is an option for those without the ability to pay for care. Several of my current coworkers are Medicaid recipients, and they are all receiving good and timely care in our own community. We have some excellent, thoughtful discussions on the standards of care here vs. in Canada and its been very eye opening (and educating) when I, too, was subject to many of the biases of the Canadian mindset. Of course, that assistance is only available to citizens who are in the country legally, and right or wrong (I'm not debating that subject whatsoever) so that often has some effect on a person's ability to access care.

As a person who suffered...and thankfully survived....having a brain tumor, I personally wouldn't celebrate that a wait for an MRI was "only" 2 months. I knew some wonderful people in my local Brain Tumor Support Group who didn't have 2 months to spare. But then again, I'm also one of those people who don't think either country should stop striving for better.

Based on the very recent (within the last few months) Facebook posts of the local hospital from my hometown, it's still a very typical experience. That hospital is still telling people that ER wait times are still so long, you won't get care unless you are truly at death's door. The hospital in the town I lived in many years ago still does not deliver babies, necessitating expectant mothers to drive to an adjacent city to give birth (which is one of the reasons why I was literally holding a baby within 40 minutes of walking through their door). My husband's uncle had a stroke a couple of months ago, and an aunt was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer in late spring 2020. Both had to travel an hour or more from their home to get treatment in Kingston, as they were unable to be accommodated locally.

You are very lucky to be able to say that you know NO ONE who has struggled to get care in Canada. I'm guessing you live in a larger centre. My own mother, within the last 5 years, waited almost 8 months on a waiting list for a hip replacement. Her pain was unimaginable and she fully lost her ability to walk by the time she finally had surgery. I won't even get into the details of my own father's cancer treatment, because I'm sure his suffering and eventual death would also be deemed "not typical" by those who refuse to believe either country could do better.

One of the biggest myths about medical care in the US is that there is no help for the poor. In the state that I live in, Medicaid is an option for those without the ability to pay for care. Several of my current coworkers are Medicaid recipients, and they are all receiving good and timely care in our own community. We have some excellent, thoughtful discussions on the standards of care here vs. in Canada and its been very eye opening (and educating) when I, too, was subject to many of the biases of the Canadian mindset. Of course, that assistance is only available to citizens who are in the country legally, and right or wrong (I'm not debating that subject whatsoever) so that often has some effect on a person's ability to access care.

As a person who suffered...and thankfully survived....having a brain tumor, I personally wouldn't celebrate that a wait for an MRI was "only" 2 months. I knew some wonderful people in my local Brain Tumor Support Group who didn't have 2 months to spare. But then again, I'm also one of those people who don't think either country should stop striving for better.

My 2 month wait was not for anything serious. It was a routine follow up.

You are of the minority who feel the US system is better. Clearly you are where you need to be.

Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina said:
Then you will also know that the fee schedule is deeply discounted for those with insurance coverage. Insurance companies don't pay anywhere near the full book costs of any procedure. At least that’s how it was when I was there. I haven’t lived in the US for many many years.

Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina said:
Please don't believe all of the American medical "data" that the Canadian media shares. At least some (and I suspect, perhaps the largest percentage) is overblown, overstated, or a minority experience intended to sensationalize. I am a Canadian, living in the USA, and just had a major surgical procedure 3 weeks ago which had me hospitalized for 3 full days. My total bill, including the surgery and the hospital care that followed, was under $30,000 US. A lot of money, for sure, but nowhere near $250,000 for one day. There ³is a very definite "spin" on what the Canadian media has to say about American health care.

In your posts above, you say you live in the U.S. and had surgery a few weeks ago. In the other post, it says you haven’t lived there for many many years. Would you mind clarifying?

I will absolutely clarify. The bolded part of the first paragraph was not my reply.....I believe you have somehow quoted Sue M's response immediately after mine. I am currently living in the USA, and have been on a non-permanent basis since 2017. It may help for you to go back and read my posts again, without the quotes from other posters.

Have you ever been seriously ill in Canada? Unfortunately, I have.....and while our provincial health coverage covered the costs, that was the ONLY thing that was easier.

The waiting list for an MRI was more than a year long at that time, and the closest machine was more than an hour to the east of us, or more than 2 hours to the west.

The only hospital that could finally treat me was 2.5 hours from my home. Because I was having grand mal seizures, my license was automatically revoked....so now not only did I have to travel ridiculous distances, even during miserable weather, for treatment to save my life, I also had to find someone who could provide me with transportation.

During that time, I had no family doctor (and we didn't for a full five years) because there was a doctor shortage in our area.

And I had a brain tumor.

[I won't even bother to explain the differences in the treatment and hospital experience here in the US, because I can guarantee it will fall on deaf ears. What I will say is that I have PERSONALLY experienced both systems, so I know first-hand the financial and medical impact of both. Based on two major surgeries, both from a medical standpoint and the financial one, I'd take my experience here in Michigan over Ontario ANY day. That's not a "spin", that's a fact

And I had a brain tumor.

[I won't even bother to explain the differences in the treatment and hospital experience here in the US, because I can guarantee it will fall on deaf ears. What I will say is that I have PERSONALLY experienced both systems, so I know first-hand the financial and medical impact of both. Based on two major surgeries, both from a medical standpoint and the financial one, I'd take my experience here in Michigan over Ontario ANY day. That's not a "spin", that's a fact.]
Your opinion and in my opinon, is a 'spin".you started talking about financial,which is cheaper and affordable for EVERYONE,in canada,as opposed to the U.s where ,not everyone gets treated because of lack of funds.I doubt there's a hospital or clinic "next door" to everyone too.Not everyone has 30-40000 sitting around for a procedure and if you did,then ,IF you had to, you could go to the US ,if you wanted to, and go the privitazation route,which basically is what it is.How lucky you are to have money to throw around.

My 2 month wait was not for anything serious. It was a routine follow up.

You are of the minority who feel the US system is better. Clearly you are where you need to be.

Clearly, I am where this crazy life of mine has taken me. For now.

I have never said that the US system does not have its faults. It very much does. Different faults from the Canadian system, but there is absolutely room (and justification) for change here.

Regardless of where I will call home for the rest of my days here on this earth, I refuse to become complacent.....about health care or ANYTHING important.....because the government, the media, my friends, or any other source tells me there's no room for improvement. My son still lives in Canada, my mother, my extended family. I want better for THEM. I want better for ME, for whenever I return to make my home again in the True North Strong & Free.

And I will absolutely dispute the inaccuracies and misrepresentations that are shared, whether as a matter of ignorance or malice. You have the right to share your opinions and beliefs, and I have the same right to share my personal experiences.

badiggio ... You do know that insurance coverage is available in the USA, right? Our insurance covered my surgery and hospital stay. But how kind of you to automatically consider me a spoiled rich girl.

Clearly, I am where this crazy life of mine has taken me. For now.

I have never said that the US system does not have its faults. It very much does. Different faults from the Canadian system, but there is absolutely room (and justification) for change here.

Regardless of where I will call home for the rest of my days here on this earth, I refuse to become complacent.....about health care or ANYTHING important.....because the government, the media, my friends, or any other source tells me there's no room for improvement. My son still lives in Canada, my mother, my extended family. I want better for THEM. I want better for ME, for whenever I return to make my home again in the True North Strong & Free.

And I will absolutely dispute the inaccuracies and misrepresentations that are shared, whether as a matter of ignorance or malice. You have the right to share your opinions and beliefs, and I have the same right to share my personal experiences.

Other people’s experiences are not misrepresentations. Again your experiences are not what most Canadian experiment.

Other people’s experiences are not misrepresentations. Again your experiences are not what most Canadian experiment.

I'm thinking that my experiences are not typical of "most Canadians" because they have been different from yours. My extended family, and my beloved Ontario community, must be an extremely unlucky anomaly.

But it's okay to state (earlier in this thread), that a single day hospital stay in the USA could cost or even exceed $250,000. I can assure you that THAT is not what most Americans experience.

The double standard is fascinating.

I will absolutely clarify. The bolded part of the first paragraph was not my reply.....I believe you have somehow quoted Sue M's response immediately after mine. I am currently living in the USA, and have been on a non-permanent basis since 2017. It may help for you to go back and read my posts again, without the quotes from other posters.

Thank you for clarifying and my apologies if that quote was innacurate. I’m not sure why that post quoted you and added what was not your information. Quotes should be quotes.

The Canadian medical system is not perfect but I do believe it has changed somewhat since you were seeking help. I needed an MRI a few months back and received one within two weeks. It was not considered urgent. My brother in law died from brain cancer (glioblastoma) and never waited more than 12 hours for an MRI or any other test. His care was excellent.

I do know people here who still struggle to find a doctor but there are other ways to access care. After reading through the posts, you feel that you are getting a better health care system and if it is working for you, that is truly wonderful.

We should all probably get this back to “Anyone travelling to WDW this fall?”

I, for one, wish I was but travel is not in the forecast for us while the numbers are so high.

We are not travelling this fall, but I am very optimistic about health Canada has FINALLY approved rapid testing. Hopefully with rapid testing, they will lift the 14 day quarantine and come up with an alternate plan for those who wish to travel. Let me state....... I DO NOT WANT this to happen today...but at a later date once they believe that the " second wave " has gone.
At some point, people want to travel again. I would LOVE to fly across Canada and visit the east coast, but in reality, I can barely afford to fly the 4 of us to Eastern Canada...but I can fly 4 of us to Orlando and do some hotel nights for the price of 4 tickets to Eastern Canada. Which do you think I am going to pick? The more bang for my buck will win.

I am still hopeful that by late next year ( 2021 ) we might be able to safely travel with hopefully less strict quarantine restrictions when we arrive home.

We are not travelling this fall, but I am very optimistic about health Canada has FINALLY approved rapid testing. Hopefully with rapid testing, they will lift the 14 day quarantine and come up with an alternate plan for those who wish to travel. Let me state....... I DO NOT WANT this to happen today...but at a later date once they believe that the " second wave " has gone.
At some point, people want to travel again. I would LOVE to fly across Canada and visit the east coast, but in reality, I can barely afford to fly the 4 of us to Eastern Canada...but I can fly 4 of us to Orlando and do some hotel nights for the price of 4 tickets to Eastern Canada. Which do you think I am going to pick? The more bang for my buck will win.

I am still hopeful that by late next year ( 2021 ) we might be able to safely travel with hopefully less strict quarantine restrictions when we arrive home.

It's crazy isn't it, I can fly to Punta Cana and stay in a very nice all inclusive for about $2k for my son and I, but to fly to Vancouver? Let alone pay for hotel, food and stuff to do... no way I can do that on $2k. Not sure I'll be travelling to WDW in 2021, certainly not this fall. But oh I do want to travel again... which is honestly a bit silly since I really didn't do much of it until 2015.

It's crazy isn't it, I can fly to Punta Cana and stay in a very nice all inclusive for about $2k for my son and I, but to fly to Vancouver? Let alone pay for hotel, food and stuff to do... no way I can do that on $2k. Not sure I'll be travelling to WDW in 2021, certainly not this fall. But oh I do want to travel again... which is honestly a bit silly since I really didn't do much of it until 2015.
Yes it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We will, depending on if there is still a covid bubble in the East next summer be needing to travel to Newfoundland for a family wedding. But for 4 of us to fly to Newfoundland will cost us 3600.00 or more. This doesn't even include car rental, hotels, food. I can travel to a very nice all inclusive in Mexico for that price for the hubby and I.

Don't get me wrong, we are loving the fact that this is forcing us to actually pull the trigger on something that is on our bucket list and we have wanted to do for a very long time. But I find it increasingly frustrating about the cost. More people would spend their money at " home " if flights were cheaper.

Which is why the person with insurance needs to follow the policy instructions, which states that you need to call the insurance provider before seeking care and they will direct you to the appropriate local hospital (and there are FAR more hospitals south of the border than you will find in Canada, so despite being told where to seek care it is unlikely you would have to go far). If you buy your travel coverage from a licensed insurance agent (versus an online plan), your agent will make sure you have that handy toll free number on a wallet card so you are prepared in the event that care is required.

In the almost 4 years of living stateside, we have never yet had a medical provider not accept the insurer's discounted payout. The occasional small co pay ($20) or deductible has been assessed, but that's it.
I didn’t understand you were talking about travel insurance in last comment. Yes, when I use my travel insurance in the US (Blue Cross) they pay 💯 %. I stupidly stuck my eye with mascara wand and got infection. And yes, of course I followed instructions.
What I was saying for people living in US with regular insurance (not travel) the company pays their fee schedule and patient stuck with paying the rest. Maybe things have changed since I lived there.

Yes it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We will, depending on if there is still a covid bubble in the East next summer be needing to travel to Newfoundland for a family wedding. But for 4 of us to fly to Newfoundland will cost us 3600.00 or more. This doesn't even include car rental, hotels, food. I can travel to a very nice all inclusive in Mexico for that price for the hubby and I.

Don't get me wrong, we are loving the fact that this is forcing us to actually pull the trigger on something that is on our bucket list and we have wanted to do for a very long time. But I find it increasingly frustrating about the cost. More people would spend their money at " home " if flights were cheaper.
Hi Pumpkin. After much going back and forth about keeping my late Nov trip, now I’m leaning toward going (Universal). And found a travel insurance with decent coverage in the US. IDK! May not be the smartest thing in the world but trip still on the books. My flight from YVR-MCO is $530, not bad tax incl. Alaska Airline. But not looking forward to the 2 week quarantine just before Christmas. I better get my Christmas shopping done before I leave.

Hi Pumpkin. After much going back and forth about keeping my late Nov trip, now I’m leaning toward going (Universal). And found a travel insurance with decent coverage in the US. IDK! May not be the smartest thing in the world but trip still on the books. My flight from YVR-MCO is $530, not bad tax incl. Alaska Airline. But not looking forward to the 2 week quarantine just before Christmas. I better get my Christmas shopping done before I leave.
OMG....I am soooo happy you are deciding to go!!!!!! Personally, we feel that it is safe enough to travel. We would love to be able to travel again, but with the quarantine after we get home, we just can not swing that financially. At some point...all this madness needs to end. the virus is NOT going anywhere. With a VERY high mortality rate, we need to learn to live with it. I won't say anymore because I do not want to start any hard feelings etc etc etc.

I am soooo excited for you!!!! Enjoy all the moments while you are there!!! I am also green with envy right now for anyone who is travelling. I am elbows deep now into my online college courses, working one full time and one part time job and just trying to balance everything. It's for a short time, and I can do it. But it is draining when you could really use an escape.

OMG....I am soooo happy you are deciding to go!!!!!! Personally, we feel that it is safe enough to travel. We would love to be able to travel again, but with the quarantine after we get home, we just can not swing that financially. At some point...all this madness needs to end. the virus is NOT going anywhere. With a VERY high mortality rate, we need to learn to live with it. I won't say anymore because I do not want to start any hard feelings etc etc etc.

I am soooo excited for you!!!! Enjoy all the moments while you are there!!! I am also green with envy right now for anyone who is travelling. I am elbows deep now into my online college courses, working one full time and one part time job and just trying to balance everything. It's for a short time, and I can do it. But it is draining when you could really use an escape.
Thanks! I’ve been gnashing my teeth over this. Since I’m retired I don’t have to worry about taking extra time off work. Yeah, who can afford 4 weeks off work for a 2 week holiday? Which was main reason we had to cancel Aug. my daughter couldn’t do that. Plus in Aug I was less sure and Florida seemed a mess. I think things are getting better?
And more insurance companies are including Covid. Many are inadequate with only $100 or $200,00 coverage. And I think 1 day in ICU would put a good dent in that. I did a lot of investigations and happy to have found a Canadian company with good coverage. So feeling a lot better about trip. I otherwise wouldn’t go.

Good luck with your courses. My oldest dd is starting her online course tomorrow and working part time, 5 hr/day. I know you’ve got this!

Do I need to call Disney about my AM Cdn Rate tickets that expire December 31, 2020? Do I need to get verbal confirmation about them extending them to December 2021?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter