• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anybody wanna help me make Christmas ornaments for NICU babies?

GEM

Mommy to Paul - 1lb 7oz wonder
Hi! I've been advised to post this here, since this is where all the "crafty" people hang out!

Most of you know the story of our little Paul and how he spent three whole months (May, June, and July of 2003) in the NICU. We were terrifed, exhausted, several hours away from home, and much more. Those months were so hard and lonely for us, and it was the little moments of kindness and sweetness from others that really got us through. Every little card, phone call, baby gift, etc. was such a spark of joy.

Anyway, when last Christmas rolled around, I thought so much about all the mommies and daddies who were spending Christmas Day huddled around an isolette (incubator) instead of gathered around a Christmas tree. I can only imagine how hard it would be to spend your baby's first Christmas in that sort of situation. I really wanted to do something, but Paul was still so small and had so many appointments and all that I just never got around to it.

This year, though, I am doing something! I am going to make sure that every tiny little miracle in the NICUs at UAMS and Children's Hospital (the two major NICUs in our state) have a special hand-made Christmas ornament for their isolettes! That's going to be a total of about 300 ornaments - which is why I'm starting now! And why I'm looking for help!

If you are willing to make a special ornament for a very special preemie baby, I would love to have your help! It doesn't have to be anything fancy, just something made with love that lets that family know that someone is thinking of them and their beautiful miracle. If it could be something somehow baby oriented, I think that would be great - but it doesn't have to be. I don't know exactly what mine are going to be like yet, but I know I want to have something like "Baby's First Christmas" and the year. I'm going to stay away from religious stuff, because you never know the beliefs of the family that will be getting them, but I'll leave that up to you to decide about yours. Also, please include with your ornament a little note for the baby that will recieve it.

I really think this will be such a neat thing to do. When Paul was in the hospital there was a little girl that donated her whole beanie baby collection and each baby got one. I can't tell you how much that meant to me when I came in and saw that little bear sleeping beside Paul. The little things really do matter in that sort of situation.

So, if you want to help me out, just pm or email me and I will tell you where to send your ornament. I'm planning on taking them all to the hospital the week before Christmas. Let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Ginny:D

As a mom of a preemie who was in the NICU, I think this is a wonderful idea. I don't think I'll be able to participate this year because I'm already doing layouts for a gift book for a cancer patient.

I have bookmarked this post, though, in case I have extra time!!

I'm a mother of a Nicu baby too. Let me think of an idea and I will help! I'll get back too when I come up with something fun.

Thanks so much to all of you!! If you responded here, emailed me, or pm'd me, you can definately expect to hear from me tomorrow with some more details! You guys really are the best and I appreciate every single one of you!

I think this is a great idea!! i have a lot going on this year, making gift scrapbooks for a lot of people, but I would love to help so count on me for at least 10 ornaments. I'll try to do more if I can.

GEM

I am also a mother of a NICU baby so I would love to help. Maybe I can get my Girls Scouts to help. Not sure how many to count me in for but I will let you know more in a couple months.

Sue

I just spoke to the incoming president of the LR Republican Women and she and I are going to get some volunteers to help you with this. She is a walking miracle herself - she is a 10 year survivor of Stage IIIB ovarian cancer. I never cease to be amazed at her strength and determination even when I know she is suffering - she is on chemo 12 hours a day. She spends everyday of her life seeing how she can help others.

I am good at execution but lousy at creating things so I am glad I now have a "creative" consultant. She wanted some more info though on what is expected.

I think this is what you said (correct me if I am wrong) - you would like a handmade Christmas ornament for each baby. I know you said no crosses etc but is it ok to say baby's first christmas? or maybe some with that and others not? Happy Holidays to our new baby? Is this something that would be tied on the outside of the bed - ie not something that the baby would touch? Makes a difference if it has to be baby friendly - no beads etc.

What would be an appropriate size? I have not been in the NICU so I don't have a lot to work with.

I think this is a great idea.

Tricia

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter