Anyone attempt Arizona/Utah itinerary on their own?

Super easy to do any trip in the US on your own! I always start a Google search with" Best ten day driving trip of the Southwest," and go from there! I scour trip advisor for the best hotels. I love to plan a road trip. We are in So Cal, and most recently did a road trip to Death Valley, Page, AZ to see the slot canyons, Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Zion and Bryce. So easy and not tied down to a schedule or other people. In fact, the only time I have ever used a group tour or guide was on a 17 day trip to MYanmar (Burma). We travel on our own, otherwise, even to non-English speaking countries.

Not 100% sure what the ABD tour includes, but a few years ago we did a 2.5 weeks CA - Utah - Nevada tour incl. Zion, Bryce, Horshoe Bend and Antelope canyon. In CA we included Route 1, Sequia NP and DL, among other things and Las Vegas and Hoover Dam. It was one of the BEST trips of my life, kids were 5 and 8 then and had a blast.

Will gladly share the exact itinerary but all in all -- it's very doable, and I prefer the flexibility of planning my own preferences and schedule. Also probably lower cost but more work both before and during... so YMMV.

Super easy to do any trip in the US on your own! I always start a Google search with" Best ten day driving trip of the Southwest," and go from there! I scour trip advisor for the best hotels. I love to plan a road trip. We are in So Cal, and most recently did a road trip to Death Valley, Page, AZ to see the slot canyons, Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Zion and Bryce. So easy and not tied down to a schedule or other people. In fact, the only time I have ever used a group tour or guide was on a 17 day trip to MYanmar (Burma). We travel on our own, otherwise, even to non-English speaking countries.
OMG sound like we would totally get along! I think it's the first time in many years I don't have some trip in planning stages...

OP I totally agree - planning US trips is extremely easy. The only major mistake I made as to forget how large everything is, so I forgot to include driving times inside NP 🤣 that turned out to be a 2 hours each way mistake.... But other than that, you have tons of online resources.

OMG sound like we would totally get along! I think it's the first time in many years I don't have some trip in planning stages...

OP I totally agree - planning US trips is extremely easy. The only major mistake I made as to forget how large everything is, so I forgot to include driving times inside NP 🤣 that turned out to be a 2 hours each way mistake.... But other than that, you have tons of online resources.

Thanks!!! I too am thinking there are easy places to go out west as well. We have been thru all of Cali but not the surrounding areas. Thanks for the advice!

Not 100% sure what the ABD tour includes, but a few years ago we did a 2.5 weeks CA - Utah - Nevada tour incl. Zion, Bryce, Horshoe Bend and Antelope canyon. In CA we included Route 1, Sequia NP and DL, among other things and Las Vegas and Hoover Dam. It was one of the BEST trips of my life, kids were 5 and 8 then and had a blast.

Will gladly share the exact itinerary but all in all -- it's very doable, and I prefer the flexibility of planning my own preferences and schedule. Also probably lower cost but more work both before and during... so YMMV.

Dora - I would love to see your itinerary! Could you DM me?

Dora - I would love to see your itinerary! Could you DM me?
Probably now 10 years ago we did a driving trip from San Diego up to Mt. Rushmore and back, doing some of the stops ABD did ( and yes, I copied some of the itinerary!). In Moab on our return route to San Diego we saw the ABD bus-- and by then I was pretty beat driving, worrying about getting places, etc. I was tempted to get on that bus! But it was a good family trip-- all enjoyed it, but I sure didn't relax! (Our first ABD to Italy in 2006 or 07 was an eye opener for me, as it was the first big family trip where I could relax and hang out with adults while the kids played). So depends what you are looking for-- ABD ain't cheap as we all know-- but our trips with ABD have given us some great moments, and experiences I could not have booked on my own. Our kids are older now, so we have been mixing it up (well back when we could travel!) With Tauck, Viking and the adult ABD trips. As I like to say, I am always just happy to be there!

Something to consider is a company that does a lot of the planning for you. It's a nice compromise. It costs more than DIY, but nowhere near the cost of an ABD. We've used a french company for a land trip thru France. They were so good we had another planned for this June that was finally canceled last week. We also used Off The Beaten Path for a trip to Montana last summer. It's definitely cheaper than a fully led trip, but much of the thinking is taken out of the trip once you're on it. Both trips had 100+ page spiral bound books with itinerary, map, suggested stops and restaurants, contact info for hotels, tours, etc that had already been planned. At one point in Montana, one of our guides had the wrong info and went 100 miles the wrong direction to pick us up. OTBP had another guide arranged for us the next day, something that would have been hard to do if we'd been fully DIY.

Something to consider is a company that does a lot of the planning for you. It's a nice compromise. It costs more than DIY, but nowhere near the cost of an ABD. We've used a french company for a land trip thru France. They were so good we had another planned for this June that was finally canceled last week. We also used Off The Beaten Path for a trip to Montana last summer. It's definitely cheaper than a fully led trip, but much of the thinking is taken out of the trip once you're on it. Both trips had 100+ page spiral bound books with itinerary, map, suggested stops and restaurants, contact info for hotels, tours, etc that had already been planned. At one point in Montana, one of our guides had the wrong info and went 100 miles the wrong direction to pick us up. OTBP had another guide arranged for us the next day, something that would have been hard to do if we'd been fully DIY.
We found out about Tauck years ago after posting to these boards and asking a ABD question and now I've discovered Off the Beaten Path on this trail! Why I love disboards :) Would love to know more about your experience with them. Are they setting up your daily itinerary? Do you get to choose class of hotels or is it a set one? I reached out to them to get more information but a traveler perspective is always the best! I realize this was posted a few months ago but any input would be greatly appreciated.

One reason we went with ABD but you could totally do on your own by planning ahead -- in the Grand Cyn, you really want to stay on the rim of the canyon and not outside the park. During the day when the tour buses were coming and going, it was like a Saturday in Disneyland -- incredibly crowded, difficult to get food, etc. But once the buses left -- the place was magical, especially at sunrise and sunset.

We did Arizona and Utah on our own and it was very easy to plan :). We went for spring break in early April a couple of years ago.

We flew in/out of Las Vegas as it was the closest larger airport. We arrived mid-morning and spent the day exploring. Our kids were curious about Vegas so we walked around, played in the arcade in NY NY, and caught a Cirque show. We are not Vegas fans but it was fine for the day we arrived.

Day 2: We had brunch at Honey Salt (highly rec - an awesome farm-to-table restaurant) and then drove to Cable Mountain Lodge near Zion NP. We LOVED Cable Mountain. There is an outfitter, restaurant, grocery store, pool, laundry, and amazing views of the mountains. We had a one bedroom suite with a kitchen as well.

Day 3: Explored Zion NP - really amazing!

Day 4: Day tripped to Bryce Canyon NP - also amazing! It is smaller and easy to navigate around, a perfect day trip.

Day 5: Drove from Zion to Page, AZ. We explored Glen Canyon Dam for a short bit and then went to our tour at Antelope Canyon. If you aren't familiar google it! Antelope Canyon is an incredible slot canyon on Navajo land. Loved it!

Day 6: Still in Page, AZ, we floated the Colorado River. It was a 3 hour, 15 mi float with the guide telling us about things along the way. We got to stop at a little "beach" and see some petroglyphs while having a picnic lunch. We also saw Horseshoe Bend from the river. And wild horses drinking! It was awesome.

Day 7: Left Page, AZ and stopped to see Horseshoe Bend - really a neat site! We then continued to the south rim of the Grand Canyon. We found the Grand Canyon to be incredible. After a couple of hours here (we also had a picnic lunch having gathered items from the store on site) we continued back to Las Vegas for our flight home the next day.

We did a trip 3 years ago that included many of these places that was amazing. A link is in my signature if you want to read about our experience. It was very easy and fun to do on our own. We did have a few things that did not according to plan such as lower Antelope Canyon closing due to the high heat index. They refunded our money immediately. The Tioga Pass was also still closed in mid June, so we were unable to see Death Valley.

We're going to Arizona and Utah in the spring of 2021 depending on the virus. Doing on our own. From flights to hotel to grand canyon railway. Cutting out the middle man.

This seems like an old thread, but I wanted to mention that I used the Arizona/Utah trip as a guide for my own trip, and it worked out great. I think there are great ABD trips, particularly in places where you might not feel comfortable traveling on your own without a group and guides, but I feel like on trip such as this, already being in the US, it's more economical to plan out on your own. In fact, I think we may have had better accomodations for less money. We flew into Vegas and did a couple days there before heading out to Lake Powell (instead of Sedona on the ABD trip), and VRBO'd a townhouse in Page, Ariz., for as much money as a hotel in the area. (I think there's more to do at Lake Powell there than in Sedona anyway - Antelope Canyon, Horseshoe Bend, and of course, the lake.) We scored a suite at the El Tovar hotel and a cabin overlooking the Grand Canyon at Bright Angel. We also grabbed the 3-bedroom house at Goulding's at Monument Valley, and an exec suite at Red Cliffs in Moab. None of it was cheap, and the rooms were reserved a year in advance, but overall, the total cost of the trip was significanly less than the Disney price. Not sure what rooms we would have had at any of these places; they don't really specify. We had a larger group and wanted to be together, so the townhouse and house rentals were perfect.

Last edited:
This seems like an old thread, but I wanted to mention that I used the Arizona/Utah trip as a guide for my own trip, and it worked out great. I think there are great ABD trips, particularly in places where you might not feel comfortable traveling on your own without a group and guides, but I feel like on trip such as this, already being in the US, it's more economical to plan out on your own. In fact, I think we may have had better accomodations for less money. We flew into Vegas and did a couple days there before heading out to Lake Powell (instead of Sedona on the ABD trip), and VRBO'd a townhouse in Page, Ariz., for as much money as a hotel in the area. (I think there's more to do at Lake Powell there than in Sedona anyway - Antelope Canyon, Horseshoe Bend, and of course, the lake.) We scored a suite at the El Tovar hotel and a cabin overlooking the Grand Canyon at Bright Angel. We also grabbed the 3-bedroom house at Goulding's at Monument Valley, and an exec suite at Red Cliffs in Moab. None of it was cheap, and the rooms were reserved a year in advance, but overall, the total cost of the trip was significanly less than the Disney price. Not sure what rooms we would have had at any of these places; they don't really specify. We had a larger group and wanted to be together, so the townhouse and house rentals were perfect.
This sounds great if your objective is to save money. Your trip may have gone to some of the same places, and maybe had nicer accommodations, but it does not sound like it was the same trip. (And I've been to Lake Powell and Horseshoe Bend, and really did enjoy them, but they are not the same as Sedona). You really don't mention activities at all, so this just makes it sound like you went to a couple of the same places as the ABD. I apologize if I'm wrong about that, but the activities are way more important to me than the hotels.

Sayhello

Last edited:
This sounds great if your objective is to save money. Your trip may have gone to some of the same places, and maybe had nicer accommodations, but it does not sound like it was the same trip. (And I've been to Lake Powell and Horseshoe Bend, and really did enjoy them, but they are not the same as Sedona). You really don't mention activities at all, so this just makes it sound like you went to a couple of the same places as the ABD. I apologize if I'm wrong about that, but the activities are way more important to me than the hotels.

Sayhello
My cost savings included our activities, meals, flights, car rental (gas, ugh) and pet sitter. My objective wasn't really to save money, I just wanted to plan it on my own, and be on my own schedule as we were meeting up with family coming from another part of the country for part of the trip. As it turned out, I did save significant money on this particular trip in comparison with the ABD cost, and I believe I probably had nicer lodging at the same places they use, because I was able to pick the rooms myself as opposed to being given one. Although, I'll note that the Sedona place they use seems really nice, and early on, I was going there and had a reservation at the place they use, but instead opted to start in Vegas (with a Venetian suite and a dinner at Hell's Kitchen, so maybe that's a push) plus Lake Powell. As I noted, it wasn't the same trip as the ABD trip - but it was inspired by their itinerary and places they use (Goulding's Lodge/Red Cliffs Lodge). We paid for a boat rental on Lake Powell and a tour of Lower Antelope Canyon. We did the Hermit Road shuttle bike rental at the GC and the IMAX movie, and a private, four-hour Navajo tour of Monument Valley. Other stops with a minor cost was Hoover Dam, Valley of Fire State Park, Horseshoe Bend, Canyonlands Nat'l Park and Gooseneck State Park (none are on the ABD itinerary). Of course, hiking the Bright Angel trail was free. Their cost is about $5K a person; I'd say ours was about $3K a person with three extra days. But I wouldn't begrudge anyone for wanting to do the ABD trip. For one, I did a lot of driving. We did some different activities than those the ones on the ABD tour. To each their own I suppose...there's other trips I'd gladly use ABD for in a heartbeat, no matter the cost.

I just noticed this thread pop up, and as long as you are comfortable driving yourself around the area, everything looks pretty easy to recreate. The trip has a lot of on your own time at the resorts or in the national parks, and it looks like several of the tours you do can be booked separately if you're interested. The only things I couldn't find direct replacements for are the dinners that incorporate Native American entertainment at the hotels. It's possible that something similar can be booked, or you can eat dinner at some locally owned restaurants just outside the park.

It's a lot of driving and logistics to plan (like any ABD substitute), but if you wanted less of the group activities and more time to hike on your own then I would do it.

I just noticed this thread pop up, and as long as you are comfortable driving yourself around the area, everything looks pretty easy to recreate. The trip has a lot of on your own time at the resorts or in the national parks, and it looks like several of the tours you do can be booked separately if you're interested. The only things I couldn't find direct replacements for are the dinners that incorporate Native American entertainment at the hotels. It's possible that something similar can be booked, or you can eat dinner at some locally owned restaurants just outside the park.

It's a lot of driving and logistics to plan (like any ABD substitute), but if you wanted less of the group activities and more time to hike on your own then I would do it.
We used Monument Valley Safari for our tour, and they were really amazing, and they also offer a dinner tour like the Disney one. I had found a few others when doing my research. It’s likely Disney uses one of these companies. Ultimately, the food on these tours received some sketchy reviews, though I try to take Google/Yelp reviews with a grain of salt. But at the time of year we were going, it was going to be pretty cold at night anyway. As it worked out, we moved our afternoon tour to the morning due to wind in the forecast. You don’t want to be out there in the wind with all the sand kicking around. That’d be miserable. Though I think sunset out there would be nice, our hotel overlooked the Valley as well, so we got that anyways.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter