Anyone attempting to go to Galaxy's Edge in the first few months/year of opening? Do you have a plan/strategy?

What's your Galaxy's Edge Strategy?

• Total voters
Thanks for clinching my argument for me. I stated that GE should be MORE accessible in late evening/near park close

Except you won't get in to the land.... They are not going to let you wait until after the park closes to then enter the land to then get in yet another line for the ride. Did you completely ignore the very first post I had?

It's very simple why it likely is not going to work. You won't even get in to the Star Wars area. Unlike a ride where you can jump in line and you are then guaranteed to get a ride in, it will not be that way for Star Wars and the land will be closed to new guests (either to the VQ or real queue) a few hours (at minimum) before the park closes.

A ride has a predefined start and end while Star Wars does not. Your best hope is a virtual queue which tells you the return time and you can grab the end of the day spot when is shows up in the morning/afternoon.

I am not sure what you are not understanding? Its like if Magic Kingdom had a Phase 4 closure until close. You can't show up and line up to get in after the park closes to then get in a ride line.

Except you won't get in to the land.... They are not going to let you wait until after the park closes to then enter the land to then get in yet another line for the ride. Did you completely ignore the very first post I had?

Who said anything about getting in after the park closes? I`m talking about getting in BEFORE DHS`s closing time.

It's very simple why it likely is not going to work. You won't even get in to the Star Wars area. Unlike a ride where you can jump in line and you are then guaranteed to get a ride in, it will not be that way for Star Wars and the land will be closed to new guests (either to the VQ or real queue) a few hours (at minimum) before the park closes.

A ride has a predefined start and end while Star Wars does not. Your best hope is a virtual queue which tells you the return time and you can grab the end of the day spot when is shows up in the morning/afternoon.

Remeber Star Wars is going to have lines just to get in to the land more than likely. So it's not the normal new ride.

I could be completely wrong. I don't think it should be bad getting in though as long as you end up reading up on the latest strategy the days leading up to your HS day.

The above is pure speculation, unless you happen to be a Disney insider??

Last I heard, they only needed to use the virtual queue at Disneyland on the first day. So where are these doomsday scenarios for DHS coming from?

The above is pure speculation, unless you happen to be a Disney insider??

Last I heard, they only needed to use the virtual queue at Disneyland on the first day. So where are these doomsday scenarios for DHS coming from?

First everything in this thread is speculation. Even an insider/Disney could not predict the exact crowds.

Disneyland is said to be "dead" this summer partly from the blackout dates for many Annual Pass. I am also going off the "worst case" scenario that we are going to see this fall. Disneyland is also viewed as a locals park with lots of annual passes while Disney World is viewed as a vacation destination. Thus every week you get a turnover of all new guests who want to see Star Wars land.

You asked why it wouldn't apply to GE like every other thing. I am telling you why it possibly wont. The great thing is that unless you are going the first day there will be reports daily from the park on how things are working.

To run some math on the weekly turnover:
30k hotel rooms
2.5 guests per room
75,000 total guests if the hotels are sold out

Estimated 3000 guests every 4 hours, 16 hours a day open for HS, meaning 12,000/day or 84,000/week. Now if they can run people through more quickly then those numbers are going to help avoid the requirement for the virtual queue. The 3,000 was estimated a while back from Disneylands reservation system. Supposedly Smugglers Run will put through 1,800/hr which means 7,200 per 4 hour period for the ride portion of the land.

We will see but I am not planning on evening rides and can easily adjust my plan accordingly if its an easy jump in line before close.

I'm going in late January, and while I think skipping it would be the sensible thing to do...I'm not skipping it. Right now in my (extremely loose and changeable) schedule I've got two weekday mornings set aside when I can rope drop the park, and I'm going to keep an eye on news from the park to figure out whether that's going to work or if I need to change things around. Mostly my "planning" revolves around setting expectations and being prepared to only do a couple of things and not see all of it. It'd be great if it turns out to be quiet like Disneyland, but I sincerely doubt that's what's going to happen.

Honestly, overall my approach is going to mostly entail trying to be honest with myself about when it's better to cut my losses and move on.

First everything in this thread is speculation. Even an insider/Disney could not predict the exact crowds.

Disneyland is said to be "dead" this summer partly from the blackout dates for many Annual Pass. I am also going off the "worst case" scenario that we are going to see this fall. Disneyland is also viewed as a locals park with lots of annual passes while Disney World is viewed as a vacation destination. Thus every week you get a turnover of all new guests who want to see Star Wars land.

You asked why it wouldn't apply to GE like every other thing. I am telling you why it possibly wont. The great thing is that unless you are going the first day there will be reports daily from the park on how things are working.

To run some math on the weekly turnover:
30k hotel rooms
2.5 guests per room
75,000 total guests if the hotels are sold out

Estimated 3000 guests every 4 hours, 16 hours a day open for HS, meaning 12,000/day or 84,000/week. Now if they can run people through more quickly then those numbers are going to help avoid the requirement for the virtual queue. The 3,000 was estimated a while back from Disneylands reservation system. Supposedly Smugglers Run will put through 1,800/hr which means 7,200 per 4 hour period for the ride portion of the land.

We will see but I am not planning on evening rides and can easily adjust my plan accordingly if its an easy jump in line before close.

So you admit you`ve been advancing worst case scenarios. Again, thanks for clinching my arguments for me.

So you admit you`ve been advancing worst case scenarios. Again, thanks for clinching my arguments for me.

Sure okay.... Not sure what your arguement is lol. If they close the land like some are expecting you won't get in to it. There is nothing to argue against that. If the land is open to walk in to then you can get in it at the end of the day until they choose to stop letting people in line.

Hope your right, I am not expecting it though especially as we hit the holidays.

We have changed our strategy once again. Not sure when we will get to HS, probably between 5:00 and 5:30. My thought was to fp SDD and head for TSL first and get to SWGE no later than 7 am. then head over to ToT and RnRC. DH says he cares NOTHING for SDD or AS. . So, we are now going to head for SWGE first, try for TSMM, and I'm doing a fp for ToT. ot sure whether to get earlier of later. I like ToT just before F! We plan to do as much as possible in the 3 areas before RD, and go do other things, leaving HS sometime after 10:00 - 11:00. Go to the resort and chill. We have ADRs for dinner, so head back over for dinner, anything else we can do before F!, and done. My main strategy is to not do 6 am EEMH the day after our MNSSHP night. As others have said, it's a wait and see. Good thing for us, the free dining doesn't include our week so hopefully two things will happen: people will reschedule to another date to get free dining, and people will choose to wait until the second attraction is open later in the year. Regardless, we're going.

My strategy is to walk around, make droids with my boys and go to other parts of HS. I could careless about riding the ride as the wait time will be longer than i'm willing to wait with my boys! We will be there the opening week. :oops:

Sure okay.... Not sure what your arguement is lol. If they close the land like some are expecting you won't get in to it. There is nothing to argue against that. If the land is open to walk in to then you can get in it at the end of the day until they choose to stop letting people in line.

Hope your right, I am not expecting it though especially as we hit the holidays.

My point was that you`ve been presenting worse case scenarios as if they were a near certainty. By definition, a worst case scenario is never likely, and rarely occurs.

Last edited:
My point was that you`ve been presenting worse case scenarios as if they were a near certainty. By definition, a worst case scenario is never likely, and rarely occur.

Whatever you want to believe. Review the math I posted about hotel rooms, onsite guests, and volume for the land. We will see.

You let me know where its incorrect?

By the way if the ride wait is 2 hours are they going to let you get in line? That would be the other questionable aspect as people try to jump in line right at the end of the day. I am not sure but sounds like you have done the end of the day strategy before so thinking you might know.

Right now we are planning to be in HS all day on 11/29. I know it will be a madhouse. I'm hoping FP is in place for Run, but I'm not holding my breath.

I really just want to go in and see it. I'm not incredibly interested in riding Run, so I am hoping I can duck out after the queue and wait for my husband and daughter to ride.

I am hoping for at least a 7am EMH or EMM or DAH or SOMETHING! I'll pay for an upcharge event if I have to.

Are there any details on when resort busses will start running? Or a better question how are you all going to get to the park by 430am if the busses aren’t running?

Are there any details on when resort busses will start running? Or a better question how are you all going to get to the park by 430am if the busses aren’t running?
We are staying at the Swan and walking over . I expect the last week of October to be very busy and I will be pleased with anything less than nutty. If it’s too much we will skip SWGE completely.

Whatever you want to believe. Review the math I posted about hotel rooms, onsite guests, and volume for the land. We will see.

You let me know where its incorrect?

By the way if the ride wait is 2 hours are they going to let you get in line? That would be the other questionable aspect as people try to jump in line right at the end of the day. I am not sure but sounds like you have done the end of the day strategy before so thinking you might know.

Disney never closes a standby line before closing time, even for superstar attractions like FOP. They do inflate posted wait times, to discourage people from getting in line, but actual wait times are always much lower than the rest of the day.

Disney never closes a standby line before closing time, even for superstar attractions like FOP. They do inflate posted wait times, to discourage people from getting in line, but actual wait times are always much lower than the rest of the day.
They did when FoP first opened.

My brother-in-law who works for Disney is taking me as his +1 on August 7th when they have the cast member day. Can't wait!!
I'm confirmed from 1-5 to do smugglers run and build a light saber. Would have rather had a drink at the cantina but beggars can't be choosers!

I wanted to build a lightsaber and already put the buyers regret in my head and I’m already over it.

Thank god my son can’t stand yet!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!